This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy

View Poll Results: Is a London Monopoly Run a Hike Away?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 58.82%
  • No

5 29.41%
  • Maybe

2 11.76%
  • Don't know

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 892 Posts

Hikes Away - would a Monopoly Run count?

Just wondering your thoughts...

For Explorers, each hike or journey must involve at least five hours of activity and have a purpose, which you will agree with your leader. The sorts of activity that count as a hike away include:

hill walking
    mountain biking
    canoe touring
    pony trekking
    ski touring
    backpacking.
    You can do your hike away during the day or night and itís fine to take part in other similar activities.

We'll start at 9:30, finish at 5pm. Is it not in the spirit of the badge? Or I mean, if you're counting canoe touring (sitting on a boat) and pony trekking (sitting on a pony), why not sitting on a tube train or bus?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Had to think about that for a few seconds. However there is no definition about a Hike having to be in 'Country' etc so I guess this is just a Hike which happens to be in an urban/city area with an activity thrown in - a purpose in other words so I'd credit those taking part towards their Hikes Away. I am of course assuming it's all done on foot and not by public transport - if so I'd say NO.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    so I'd credit those taking part towards their Hikes Away. I am of course assuming it's all done on foot and not by public transport - if so I'd say NO.
    I have no idea, having not done it before, what proportion will be on foot, and what by public transport. They will have travelcards, there will be some public transport taken no doubt, actually, the proportion will be up to them. They'll be knackered by day end, I imagine.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    I have no idea, having not done it before, what proportion will be on foot, and what by public transport. They will have travelcards, there will be some public transport taken no doubt, actually, the proportion will be up to them. They'll be knackered by day end, I imagine.
    There are many activities you can do that knacker you out that aren't hiking.

I'd say no.

Thanks
    Actually I reckon it might, on our recent day trip to London one of the Explorers checked using an app on their phone and despite using the tube a lot we had walked 8.5 miles in the day. Kind of depends though, we did a part of a Monopoly run for a friends stag do and there was not a great deal of walking involved, mainly tube and busses with frequent stops

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,285 Posts
    I would give it. Yes they might use the Tube for some of the longer stretches but in a full day they're still going to be walking a long way - out of the 7.5 hours they've got they[re probably going to be walking for 5 of those easily
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    why not sitting on a tube train or bus?
    Apart from Old Kent Road, and perhaps Whitechapel, it's quicker to walk most of it!
    Assistant Area Commissioner (14-25 Programme) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Well, just to follow up, various fitness trackers from various team members on different teams came up with 12 miles, 15 miles, and 18 miles. Now, google seems to have been recording my every move (scary!), though it seems a bit vague in places, and I can't work out which bits it thinks I walked and which was clearly tube. A quick ready reckoner on google maps walking directions on the bits we definitely walked confirms about 11 miles. So maybe it is pretty accurate and knows what it's talking about. At explorer scout pace, that's probably close to 4 hours of just walking. We started at Waterloo at 9:30, finished the actual "run" at 5pm, went to the Lord Amory in Docklands for the finish and a burger (and due to the DLR being shut, had to walk nearly a mile each way from Canary Wharf to the ship), and were back at Waterloo on the train home at 20:20.

Best of our teams came 18th (yes, mine, au naturellement), worst 158th out of 221.

Really good day, the Explorers were really buzzing about it, talking about next year, and we've had an unusually high number of parental thanks. These are good signs.

This one was Monopoly Run "Live". Other Monopoly Runs are available.

Oh, and now I've done it, I'm definitely inclined to award a hikes away.
    Last edited by ianw; 06-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Ian Wilkins

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (06-03-2017),richardnhunt (14-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,020 Posts
    I think with that level of walking in retrospect I probably would. When I've done similar things with Scouts it's mostly been bus and Tube.

I have another slightly "offbeat" one where I deviate a bit from the rules - our bi-annual "Hike 100" relay hike, on which I tend to award numbers of Hikes Away based on multiples of about 10 miles, as some YP do some seriously impressive distances on that weekend, sometimes as much as 30-40 miles, sometimes even in one go. So someone covering 40 miles would get 4 Hikes Away regardless of whether they do it in 4 chunks or one.

I've also awarded a Night Away for a night in hospital (instead of on the camp where he would otherwise have been) following a serious injury on camp...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

ianw (06-03-2017),nevynxxx (06-03-2017)