This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    Hey, don't diss the Bees!!
    Ok, I take it back.

As if he hadn't suffered enough, under the delusion that football was important and worthy of trips halfway across the country to see a bunch of blokes running about for 90 minutes to establish whether one half of them is better than the other, eat a gristly overpriced pie, shout at people, and think a good time was had.

Is that better?

I jest, of course. Having driven to Belgium to watch people cycle round and round in circles (well, ovals) for hours, I'm in no position to criticise.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Ok, I take it back.

As if he hadn't suffered enough, under the delusion that summer camp was important and worthy of trips halfway across the country to see a bunch of kids running about for a week to establish whether one half of them is better than the other, eat a gristly overpriced pie, shout at people, and think a good time was had.
    other peoples hobbies

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,214 Posts
    In our attempt to keep our little uns out of harm's way we asked for a visit to the Fire Station, the village station is a retained crew and can now only do a Wednesday and they are busy this week*. Huddersfield Station have not come back to me.

But... we have a Forensic centre in the village called "Think Forensic", they normally only do partis of 15 and charge 20 per head for two hours. They are all ex or serving police Scenes of Crime Officers and they run through the basics, finger prints, hair samples, and so -on.

I called them on the off chance that they could help. I said who we were and the receptionists said that she had heard about or trouble and she would speak to the MD. They have come back with a customised one off one hour session for our little uns for 7.50. The boss is coming in to run the course - so because they are so special we get our very own Grissom taking the session! They do say that it is an ill-wind!

They were also aware of our problem so we have managed to stir up quite a lot of concern around the village about youth behaviour. Let's hope that it all comes to a positive end.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    We had a similar 'problem' with older kids hanging outside our hut on mopeds, some of the kids didnt want to go outside with the older lads watching them. Th next week we set up a BBQ outside, and asked the lads over to see if they wanted any, over a burger we highlighted the kids concerns. They weren't aware of it, and were just hanging around out of boredom and a bit of curiosity about us. The following week two of their younger brothers applied to cubs, and we are on friendly talking terms. Now if we are playing a wide game in the park, they go up the other end, unless there's a BBQ of course!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bernwood For This Useful Post:

GSL-Rob (21-03-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    We had a similar 'problem' with older kids hanging outside our hut on mopeds, some of the kids didnt want to go outside with the older lads watching them. Th next week we set up a BBQ outside, and asked the lads over to see if they wanted any, over a burger we highlighted the kids concerns. They weren't aware of it, and were just hanging around out of boredom and a bit of curiosity about us. The following week two of their younger brothers applied to cubs, and we are on friendly talking terms. Now if we are playing a wide game in the park, they go up the other end, unless there's a BBQ of course!
    I wish it were that easy.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (20-03-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bernwood View Post
    Now that is where I would be interested in developing things further, could they help ref a game in the park ? can those mopeds get as far as the local scout camp ? would they be interested in a BBQ over there ? Do they know how short of help you are ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    Now that is where I would be interested in developing things further, could they help ref a game in the park ? can those mopeds get as far as the local scout camp ? would they be interested in a BBQ over there ? Do they know how short of help you are ?
    I think that here there is a difference. The lads bernwood encountered showed an interest and responded positively. That is the difference.

There is a curious thing. If they are there when we arrive, they intimidate and bang on the windows and kick the doors. If we are there before them and we get outside before they arrive, they tend to walk away without engaging at all. It is almost a territorial thing. If we claim it first they go away.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Ahhh - sorry the kind of youth who run over your hut, lob stones at it, and even run into it scream obscenities and run out again are not going to say "Gosh, all we needed was a Scout leader to sort out a BBQ for us, and we'll immediately fill our time by helping to organise activities within Scouting for local children". In the very unlikely event that one or two were so minded then peer pressure would drag them away almost immediately. As suggested above, engagement of the local plod has a much greater effect - I. One group being coupled with fake CCTV which seemed to do the trick very effectively and cheaply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I think that here there is a difference. The lads bernwood encountered showed an interest and responded positively. That is the difference.
    Absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Ahhh - sorry the kind of youth who run over your hut, lob stones at it, and even run into it scream obscenities and run out again are not going to say "Gosh, all we needed was a Scout leader to sort out a BBQ for us, and we'll immediately fill our time by helping to organise activities within Scouting for local children". In the very unlikely event that one or two were so minded then peer pressure would drag them away almost immediately. As suggested above, engagement of the local plod has a much greater effect - I. One group being coupled with fake CCTV which seemed to do the trick very effectively and cheaply.
    I refer you to #26 and the useful highlights in #27. When it works it works.

Thanks
    Absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

I refer you to #26 and the useful highlights in #27. When it works it works.
    While sometimes it does I think there are some kids where there is not even the potential for it to work, at least not with a main stream scout group. Some kids just hang around being painful because they are bored. They have the potential to be reached. Others are just nasty bits of work. I have no doubt that they can be reached by someone, but I think that person is very special and needs to take a different approach,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    While sometimes it does I think there are some kids where there is not even the potential for it to work, at least not with a main stream scout group. Some kids just hang around being painful because they are bored. They have the potential to be reached. Others are just nasty bits of work. I have no doubt that they can be reached by someone, but I think that person is very special and needs to take a different approach,
    I refer you to #19.

My only concern with this thread is that it might encourage the attitude that every group of teenagers/young people hanging around outside the HQ are hard core trouble makers some are, others would meet like with like depending on how you treat them. Where Red Six is fictitious, Cobra Patrol is a designation we reserved for groups/gangs who came in to the group from the street, more difficult now that the age ranges are different.

Thanks

My only concern with this thread is that it might encourage the attitude that every group of teenagers/young people hanging around outside the HQ are hard core trouble makers some are, others would meet like with like depending on how you treat them. Where Red Six is fictitious, Cobra Patrol is a designation we reserved for groups/gangs who came in to the group from the street, more difficult now that the age ranges are different.
    I would be disappointed if that were to be the case.

I have written in the past about the desires of the "street kids" being almost identical to those of Scouts, but efforts to bring the two together failed due to cultural differences - and if I am correct, because we failed to convince the Alpha characters in the street kids group that we could deliver what they needed.

I suspect that they could see themselves losing control of "their" gang and so withdrew. The speed and reaction of the withdrawal stunned their youth worker as much as it did me. One minute the lad was asking questions about what we did and the activities and the trips and the next he says "F*** this! I am out of here." gets up and walks out and every last one of the "street kids" followed him and we never saw them again. In a debrief with the Youth Services we agreed that there was a social and cultutral divide that was very difficult to bridge.

Most of these young people are reachable, but so long as they are held in the thrall of their alpha character, then it becomes unlikely that we will do much, if anything with them. That does not mean that we won't accept them on our terms.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Some years ago in the next village (again fairly well off) there was trouble with kids hanging about during Scouts, drinking & being abusive. Everyone knew who they were. The police were called and the kids would scarper. The leaders refused to get involved as their kids were the same age & knew there would be repercussions at school.
    After a month or two of abuse - and during a Beaver meeting, a ABSL went over & sat with them, taking his beer with him. He sat down & told the kids some hard drugs & stuff had been found in the area they were sitting in & they needed to be careful where they put their hands. The kids were horrified. The ABSL also said he'd heard some kids from the village were causing trouble & ruining it for the little Beavers. He laid it on really thick saying he was sure they weren't responsible, but could they tell their mates to be careful. Once again, the kids were horrified & were never any bother again.

A couple of years ago, I had a bunch of year 10 & 11 kids hanging round during Beavers, they would nick our ball & generally mess about with our equipment. One night when they emptied out the drum of water I'd filled up for the Beavers, I saw red & went ballistic!!!! (I'd had a bad day!) I really went mad, asking them what the hell they thought they were doing wreaking little kids activities? Who they thought they were? I really lost it. We didn't see them for the rest of the summer. When we see them now, they keep away. I'm not proud of myself.

Never easy to deal with this sort of thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbb View Post
    After a month or two of abuse - and during a Beaver meeting, a ABSL went over & sat with them, taking his beer with him.
    Did I read that right? Our BSL and ABSLs tend to stick to the juice we sometimes make for the Beavers
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    He was making a point of seeming cool & hip while he was hanging out with the kids.

Personally I prefer cider - it helps to kill the noise.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast