Thread: Promise Log Chew

Thanks

Promise Log Chew

Morning all...

At Beavers this week, we are hoping to have a log chew towards the Teamwork Challenge. It has been suggested to do another code of conduct, but based on the discussion on here last time, I am going to suggest we log chew about the Beaver promise instead, what it means and how they can keep it.

This is partly because we are hoping to invest some new Beavers this week too.

Instead of random games, I thought it might be nice to split into three bases, one for each part of the Beaver promise, and have an activity or game related to that part.

We could then come together as a colony and talk it through before getting on with the investitures.

I am having a mental block though, so I was wondering if anybody could suggest any activities based on:

1) Doing your best
    2) Being kind and helpful
    3) Loving God OR our world

Planting something might be good for loving our world. I need to have a look at a planting calendar though (unless it was something indoors, but Im liking getting outside now the lighter nights are here).

Any suggestions gratefully received!
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    Morning all...

At Beavers this week, we are hoping to have a log chew towards the Teamwork Challenge. It has been suggested to do another code of conduct, but based on the discussion on here last time, I am going to suggest we log chew about the Beaver promise instead, what it means and how they can keep it.

This is partly because we are hoping to invest some new Beavers this week too.

Instead of random games, I thought it might be nice to split into three bases, one for each part of the Beaver promise, and have an activity or game related to that part.

We could then come together as a colony and talk it through before getting on with the investitures.

I am having a mental block though, so I was wondering if anybody could suggest any activities based on:

1) Doing your best
    2) Being kind and helpful
    3) Loving God OR our world

Planting something might be good for loving our world. I need to have a look at a planting calendar though (unless it was something indoors, but Im liking getting outside now the lighter nights are here).

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Doing your best - have a "competition" to see who can do the longest standing long jump (big it up if you want - points/prizes whatever) - and mark where teach one lands. Ask if they "did their best" to win -
    hopefully most will say that they did. Comment that you don't think that they *really* did their best & have them try again - this time really trying hard to do the best jump they can - most will improve on first attempt...... Doing your best can be hard work - it requires effort.
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow Beaver For This Useful Post:

lakes_stu (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Kind and helpful -

Ask the Beavers to give examples of how they have been kind and helpful and then get them to do mini dramas acting them out. Much more fun than just talking or doing a poster.
    Proud Beaver Scout Leader of a bunch of ankle biters.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamieson90 For This Useful Post:

lakes_stu (18-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks folks, both great ideas.

For loving our world, the Cubs have left us a plot in the garden and some Broad Beans seeds which are apparently easy for small hands to handle and plant.

I have suggested it to the other Leaders, anyway.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    When I did my Module 1 validation for my training, one of the activities we did was get each Beaver to write down a specific promise (nothing fuzzy like "being good" - something like "I promise to tidy my room for a week"). We then put them all into envelopes and posted them into a box. The leaders had to make promises too! The next week we opened all the envelopes, read out the promises and checked if the Beavers had done them. It worked fairly well - the Beavers split into their lodges and the adults talked with each lodge to discuss what sort of promise they might like to make. According to the parents we asked, the Beavers had all given a good try to sticking to their promise.

Thanks
    We've done something similar before where we've looked through newspapers and cut out pictures/headlines of people doing each bit of the promise and then stuck it onto a large piece of card. Local newspapers are better for this - they seem to have more positive stories!
    Assistant Cub Scout Leader (1st South Leeds & Morley) | Training Adviser (Central Yorkshire)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darren-M For This Useful Post:

Georgie (21-04-2017)