This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Bit of a coincidence though that it's just when a general election has been called though.
    Kieth check the chronology, he offered long before the election was called.

It is very important that we do not judge all MPs by the worst examples just as it is important people do not judge all Scout leaders by the worst examples. The " ruling elite" = the people we elected to govern.

I also suspect that even if the offer to visit was belatedly accepted the MP would probably be too busy to attend at present, two months is a long time in politics
    Last edited by Tony Ransley; 21-04-2017 at 07:52 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Ransley For This Useful Post:

itchen (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Many years ago I was in a group with the children of an MP, the MP heavily supported events when they were able and was a positive asset to the group.

Personally I would think it is unlikely that they will commit to anything in the next 7 weeks, but assuming you can demonstrate it was floated before the election particularly as this is not a fixed term parliament election (i.e. its not 2020) and all the parents are aware of what is happening, I would have no issue with running this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    Then invite him as the most recent MP. You're not the BBC and I see no reason to stop him coming provided that you'd let any other candidates come if they wanted though there's no reason you have to invite proactively. I doubt a visit to Scouts will make any difference to voting intentions of adults.
    Quote Originally Posted by por14.1b
    Members of the Movement in uniform, or individuals when acting as representatives of the
    Movement, must not take part in any party political meetings or activities that endorse any
    particular political party or candidate.
    Anything you do that involves a candidate (as opposed to a MP) cannot be seen as anything other than party political

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dasy2k1 View Post
    Anything you do that involves a candidate (as opposed to a MP) cannot be seen as anything other than party political

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Not completely sure how inviting a candidate can be seen as "endorsing" (i.e declaring one's public approval or support of) a particular political party or candidate.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Not completely sure how inviting a candidate can be seen as "endorsing" (i.e declaring one's public approval or support of) a particular political party or candidate.
    You've met people right? "You know they were from X party and didn't immediately send them away with a flee in their ear?!!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Well, why invite that particular candidate? Why were others not invited? The implication, whether correct or not, is that the Scout Group think that candidate is the best one.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

dasy2k1 (23-04-2017)

Thanks
    Just an update in case anyone was interested.

Evening went off very well - despite some uncertainty of Parliamentary commitments we had the MP turn up along with the local councillor who happens to be from the main competitor party. They were very professional and amicable - discovered they had a shared history in scouting in the same county as kids. The only political references were jokes at the MP's own expense about him potentially not being in a job in a few weeks time. I'm sure there may be those that were a bit "Why did you let 'him' in" but actually I was left with a sense that whilst we might not like some of the policies there is a certain skill in being able to turn up to these sorts of varied events, put people at their ease around you and say something sensible - even vaguely entertaining. He ended by taking some selfies with a very noisy rabble of young people who clearly weren't going to be bothered by his allegiances but were happy their VIP was willing to join in with some fun with them.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

big chris (27-04-2017),hippysurfer (29-04-2017),Mallah (28-04-2017),nevynxxx (28-04-2017),richardnhunt (28-04-2017),Rikki01 (29-04-2017),RisingStar (27-04-2017),roger-uk (27-04-2017),scoutgamer (03-05-2017),shiftypete (28-04-2017),sjl14 (04-05-2017),Tony Ransley (28-04-2017)

Thanks
    I've tried to upload the photo of my MP at the time, who visted our beaver colony 12 months ago yesterday, but can't get it to work.

She was absolutely amazing during the visit and joined in all the games including duck, duck goose and werewolf. My other leaders who can be very sceptical of politicians were very impressed.Two months later she was appointed our new District President, a role she would have been excellent at. Unfortunately she never got the chance to carry out any duties.

I cracked up again last night when I tried to introduce a short silence for the lady who visited us 12 months ago, whose son has just joined a beaver colony in London, presumably in Tower Hamlets. All 5 of our most recent YLs attended the same secondary school as she did in the 80s/90s.

A cropped version of the photo I can't upload, was used on Sky News for days, presumably taken from her website or twitter account.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Mallett For This Useful Post:

hippysurfer (29-04-2017),richardnhunt (29-04-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123