Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local MP Would Like To Visit

Thanks

Local MP Would Like To Visit

We have heard from our local MP that he would love to come and visit the Colony one evening.

Personally, I would be happy with this provided he agrees that it is just to explain how he serves the community and help people and local causes (and it has to be said that he does really get involved) and that politics, publicity etc should be left at the door.

I was just wondering how others would feel in this situation.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    We have heard from our local MP that he would love to come and visit the Colony one evening.

Personally, I would be happy with this provided he agrees that it is just to explain how he serves the community and help people and local causes (and it has to be said that he does really get involved) and that politics, publicity etc should be left at the door.

I was just wondering how others would feel in this situation.
    Very soon he won't be an MP any more (dissolution of Parliament prior to the election).

I'd invite him round on the 9th June.
    He who washes an ass's head loses both his time, and his soap.

Thanks
    Find out what they want to do first!

We've had 'the local MP' in for an evening with the Troop, but that was to explain what their job was more than their colour of politics. It was an interesting evening which helped some understand the political/democratic process as future voters.

However, given the timing you'd be forgiven for thinking it might be nothing more than a photo opportunity - in which case suggest another time.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Mmm...

I can imagine the leaders/parents having more of problem with this than the kids. To them, he'll just be another old guy/woman in smart clothes...

We specifically don't talk about politics at all among leaders, or rather I don't. There are some diametrically opposing views, and I think if we were to start exploring them, we'd probably fall out.

That said, young folk need to know how the world works so, have at it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,255 Posts
    Last time I had this daft idea of having the candidates come for a visit and explain what the election was all about...

Then I realised that it was of very little interest to the kids and it was opening a huge can of worms if I was going to be even-handed.

I lost a member as a result of Brexit debate - partly because she didn't want her child anywhere near a pro-European, and partly because certain parties here took the mickey out of her on FB. The departure was ultimately a relief because I was fighting a rearguard battle with her when she was recruiting kids to join the local happy clappy evengelical give us your money church... However, politics , which I am happy to discuss, are off the table at Navigators. (if they were on the table we would have joined Woodcraft Folk).
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I'd get it absolutely clear with him what he intends to do and given the timing and TSA is neutral on party politics suggest absolutely no press. That should soon clarify what he's in it for!

Prior to the 2015 general election we had a hustings night at scouts. We invited all the candidates for a question time style night. We got the Labour parliamentary candidate himself, Green local council candidate, Lib Dem local campaign manager (our sitting Lib Dem MP was in parliament to be fair), UKIP candidate for the neighbouring seat. Conservatives never replied to the invite. It was a really good night and one that actually gave me more faith in politicians. They gave straight answers to straight questions! We may try and make happen again this year, alas it's very short notice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

Rikki01 (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    To be fair, it was a couple of months ago that he asked, so nothing to do with the current political situation. I have just had so much on recently that I am having to catch up with a few things.

As I say, politics etc gets left at the door if he does visit. The kids are more interested in the local carnival and other events etc in the area at which he helps.

Would tell parents about it and the ground rules well beforehand though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    Find out what they want to do first!

We've had 'the local MP' in for an evening with the Troop, but that was to explain what their job was more than their colour of politics. It was an interesting evening which helped some understand the political/democratic process as future voters.
    This, but thinking more about what they do in the local community rather than anything else - preferably things that will resonate with the young ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    However, given the timing you'd be forgiven for thinking it might be nothing more than a photo opportunity - in which case suggest another time.
    Probably think about it sometime in the late autumn when the nights are drawing in. Would prefer to spend time outside at this time of year where possible. Just looking ahead, as I know how peoples calendars get full.
    Last edited by lakes_stu; 20-04-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Its just possible he might be a bit busy at the moment Something unexpected has come up.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    Probably think about it sometime in the late autumn when the nights are drawing in. Would prefer to spend time outside at this time of year where possible. Just looking ahead, as I know how peoples calendars get full.
    Could so it outside, round a campfire, and get him singing some songs, toasting some marsh mellows as well as his spiel....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    Could so it outside, round a campfire, and get him singing some songs, toasting some marsh mellows as well as his spiel....
    True. Still go for later in the year though. As Tony says he probably has other things on his mind right now (although what figures I have seen suggest he is pretty safe). The timing would be better all round (to be honest, I don't have the time, energy or inclination to even think about politics right now - hence why I actually needed reminding that we have an election on the horizon!!!)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (20-04-2017)

Thanks
    I would ask if they are visiting as an MP or as a political Party Member.

We should be encouraging YP to participate in politics in a mature and respectful way. If he is visiting as an MP then I would be all for it.

Thanks
    1) Absolutely, find a format in which to fit him. For example arrange a balloon debate and ask him to chair and comment followed by a Q&A session. This has worked surprisingly well, don't just believe the view that our YP aren't interested.
    2) Invite other candidates on different days if you must, I'd suggest you get reactive rather than proactive, wait until they ask - you really don't want to end up hosting a debate between candidates I'd suggest even if they'd let you

Thanks
    We've actually got this one as a live issue. We're due a group relaunch on the 27th April to which I understand (Regional Development are dealing with the arrangements) our sitting MP has been invited (and I think has accepted). Now obviously at the time, and thinking of raising local profile etc it was a reasonable idea. Its now suddenly become the equivalent of handling a live hand grenade. To be fair our MP probably isn't one that would totally hijack the event but even so, its going to look to some outsiders like we've given one party a platform and/or publicity opportunity within the election period.

Ho hum - was already figuring out how I could swerve the speeches and go play with the kids outside. Might need to stand by the fire hoses!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    We've actually got this one as a live issue. We're due a group relaunch on the 27th April to which I understand (Regional Development are dealing with the arrangements) our sitting MP has been invited (and I think has accepted). Now obviously at the time, and thinking of raising local profile etc it was a reasonable idea. Its now suddenly become the equivalent of handling a live hand grenade. To be fair our MP probably isn't one that would totally hijack the event but even so, its going to look to some outsiders like we've given one party a platform and/or publicity opportunity within the election period.

Ho hum - was already figuring out how I could swerve the speeches and go play with the kids outside. Might need to stand by the fire hoses!
    You're OK - parliament is dissolved automatically 25 days before the election, so until the 2nd week of May he is still your MP. Bring it on !

Thanks
    Actually, latest info is that Parliament is likely to be dissolved on Friday 28th April as otherwise MPs would supposedly have to go back down to London fro one day on the 2nd of May. Frankly if I were that MP I would be politely backing out of attending said launch anyway to focus on more campaign orientaed work and visits (i.e. where they can be more overtly political and ask people to support them which i suspect would nto go down well at a Scouting event)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast