Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All done

Thanks

All done

So this week I told all that it may concern that this summer will be my last.

The main reasons are being committed elsewhere in a voluntary sector that does not require me to act like an employed person without all the benefits.

Working with the Cubs has been an amazing experience but I feel like I have done my time and my skills would be best served elsewhere.

I have offered myself to take part at a more leisurely pace which I hope will be taken up on. It came to the point in which I was being relied upon which was taking it's toll.

Thanks
    I hope things work out well for you!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

Rikki01 (15-05-2017)

Thanks
    I am hope to establish a Group SAS in our Group in the hope of encouraging people like yourself to stay connected. I am sure that lots of people who have done their time as a weekly section leader would welcome the chance of staying involved in a 'more relaxed' way - such people are a real reservoir of experience and it is a tragedy to loose them.

I hope that your Group find a way to benefit from your experience.

And whilst it does not mean much from someone that you do not know, thank you for your time in scouting.

R.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

Rikki01 (15-05-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hippysurfer View Post
    I am hope to establish a Group SAS in our Group in the hope of encouraging people like yourself to stay connected. I am sure that lots of people who have done their time as a weekly section leader would welcome the chance of staying involved in a 'more relaxed' way - such people are a real reservoir of experience and it is a tragedy to loose them.

I hope that your Group find a way to benefit from your experience.

And whilst it does not mean much from someone that you do not know, thank you for your time in scouting.

R.
    That does mean a lot. Thank you.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. No doubt there are a hell of a lot of people that would like to dip in and out as they wish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki01 View Post
    I think you have hit the nail on the head. No doubt there are a hell of a lot of people that would like to dip in and out as they wish.
    I'd imagine so - and TSA does want to push the idea of flexible volunteering.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I'd imagine so - and TSA does want to push the idea of flexible volunteering.
    I am just trying to work out what 'role' to give such people. At present we tent to end up with section that have lots of 'Assistant Leaders'. They are not regulars, but we want to keep them uniformed.

I am exploring the Group SAS route as a way of doing it instead.

The TSA roles assume that a Leader is attached to a Beaver Colony, Cub Pack or Scout Troop - we want Leaders that are attached to a Group and can help out on any section when it fits into their schedule.

R.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

not-so (16-05-2017),richardnhunt (16-05-2017)

Thanks
    I am just trying to work out what 'role' to give such people. At present we tent to end up with section that have lots of 'Assistant Leaders'. They are not regulars, but we want to keep them uniformed.

The TSA roles assume that a Leader is attached to a Beaver Colony, Cub Pack or Scout Troop - we want Leaders that are attached to a Group and can help out on any section when it fits into their schedule.

R.
    following....... want to do the same

Jonathan

GSL

ex-Chairman
    49th Bournemouth (St. Katherines) Air Scouts
    NSRA YPS Tutor (Air Rifles)

Thanks

R.
    Sounds like SAS to me, we are also looking into this as we have a lot of people that come and help us on camps but not weekly meetings and their roles vary from OH to ASL yet all really have the same current involvement only history determines what role they officially have.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks

R.
    Yep - it's a sasu - great catch all for those who part of the Group family but don't fit a neat pigeon hole!

Thanks
    We have alot of Group Occasional Helpers - mainly parents, but some are ex-Leaders who want to stay involved but don't want to be Sectional Assistants.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Assistant Beaver Scout Leader (Woodbadge)
    Ex Colony Assistant & DofE Helper
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

Ex DofE Helper (Beavers), 1st Egglescliffe (St John's) Scout Group

http://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, etc.

Thanks
    This is the problem. Look at all the above and it is all about what label to give them rather than looking at the quality of what they do.

This is a major flaw in my opinion. The vast majority of people just want to help. It is only those with egos that want a title. The kids do not care. The majority of people do not care. Only the leader with the label cares.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki01 View Post
    This is the problem. Look at all the above and it is all about what label to give them rather than looking at the quality of what they do.

This is a major flaw in my opinion. The vast majority of people just want to help. It is only those with egos that want a title. The kids do not care. The majority of people do not care. Only the leader with the label cares.
    A good GSL picks the right role to shove in Compass without making too big a thing about it.

Though as Scouting has military origins you shouldn't be surprised to see a bit of "rank" type stuff in it (though don't forget the inverted pyramid[1]!)

[1] Most YP - most important, down to UKCC/CEO, one of each, least important. Me, these days? I clean the bogs, fix broken bits of Scout hut, and try to be nice to my wonderful Section Leaders

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

Rikki01 (16-05-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    A good GSL picks the right role to shove in Compass without making too big a thing about it.

Though as Scouting has military origins you shouldn't be surprised to see a bit of "rank" type stuff in it (though don't forget the inverted pyramid[1]!)

[1] Most YP - most important, down to UKCC/CEO, one of each, least important. Me, these days? I clean the bogs, fix broken bits of Scout hut, and try to be nice to my wonderful Section Leaders
    What role you have on Compass or SMS doesn't necessarily reflect what you do.

Our late assistant treasurer was so so much more than her official role. She was more like a Grandmother figure to the YP - she did so so much and so many of those little jobs that keep the wheels of the group running smoothly. On camp once I took some things back to the kitchen - everyone else was outside doing activities, but she was inside tackling the washing up for over 60 YP, leaders and helpers. I ended up staying in and helping, but I knew she would have quite happily done it all, and she tried to get me to go back outside with the YP, but I stayed. Every week she would sort our all the equipment boxes in the cupboard tidy them up, she would make the tea, buy supplies, changed the roll of paper towel in the toilets, organise the raffles - I could go on. We worked out that out of 19 section leader jobs, she did a fair few.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Assistant Beaver Scout Leader (Woodbadge)
    Ex Colony Assistant & DofE Helper
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

Ex DofE Helper (Beavers), 1st Egglescliffe (St John's) Scout Group

http://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, etc.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (16-05-2017),Rikki01 (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    What role you have on Compass or SMS doesn't necessarily reflect what you do.

Our late assistant treasurer was so so much more than her official role. She was more like a Grandmother figure to the YP - she did so so much and so many of those little jobs that keep the wheels of the group running smoothly. On camp once I took some things back to the kitchen - everyone else was outside doing activities, but she was inside tackling the washing up for over 60 YP, leaders and helpers. I ended up staying in and helping, but I knew she would have quite happily done it all, and she tried to get me to go back outside with the YP, but I stayed. Every week she would sort our all the equipment boxes in the cupboard tidy them up, she would make the tea, buy supplies, changed the roll of paper towel in the toilets, organise the raffles - I could go on. We worked out that out of 19 section leader jobs, she did a fair few.
    Sadly in TSA's obsession with "clear cut roles" it is people like that who we will lose out on. I would consider my group to be pretty successful, but we dont necessarily follow the traditional role descriptions that accurately.

In my group we have a GSL (me) and an AGSL. My AGSL is also our Thursday SL. Our Monday SL doesnt have an AGSL title but probably should. He is also the closest thing that we have to a QM. The three of us essentially run both Scout Troops as an equal team, with a range of different assistants on the two nights.

The Monday SL also helps out at Wednesday Cubs (his other half is the Wednesday CSL) and, funnily enough, the Wednesday CSL helps out at Monday Scouts. She's helping at Thursdays as well this week because 3 of the usual Thursday leaders are away.

Although technically I am "GSL" and my AGSL is an "AGSL", we largely run the group as a partnership. Between us we deal with whatever needs doing behind the scenes to ensure that other section leaders can run their programmes.

We also have a guy, used to be a BSL but has now stepped back from that role, who turns up once a week to do the bins and tidies the outdoor area around the hall for us. His role on compass is Occaisional Helper (as he also sometimes helps on camps).

We work as a team. Me and my AGSL are the "team leaders" but everyone pitches in and does their bit. I am just as likely to be found unblocking the toilets as handing out a Chief Scout Award. We all have our strengths (for example I'm better at the hall DIY stuff, my AGSL is far better than me at keeping the place tidy. At camp I'm the "Logistics" Guy, my AGSL wins at Pastoral care!) We are also all a group of friends, and at the end of most meetings (and most camps) we end up in the old crown to chew the fat over a pint of Speckled Hen.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    I really wanted a flexible role in Scouting. I currently don't know when I will have free evenings very far in advance and as soon as my contracted role starts i'll be doing evening shifts twice a week. My district offered me section assistant but it had to be with one colony/pack/troop. What I was really after was being able to help with activities on an ad hoc basis, particularly archery. Ho hum.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast