Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you publish your programme?

Thanks
    Never felt the need to publicise ours and haven't been asked to by parents. At the beginning of a term I'll generally give the scouts a rundown of what we've got in mind and that's about it.
    We know each week if we need to tell them to bring something specific the following week. If it's particularly crucial or unusual I'll usually remind them the evening before via email.
    Works for us.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SL 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardySi View Post
    Never felt the need to publicise ours and haven't been asked to by parents. At the beginning of a term I'll generally give the scouts a rundown of what we've got in mind and that's about it.
    We know each week if we need to tell them to bring something specific the following week. If it's particularly crucial or unusual I'll usually remind them the evening before via email.
    Works for us.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    In visiting sections it's often the case that they want to show off their programme - to see the variety and depth of activities. I guess whether that's important to you depends on whether you're people, success or analytically oriented !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    In visiting sections it's often the case that they want to show off their programme - to see the variety and depth of activities. I guess whether that's important to you depends on whether you're people, success or analytically oriented !
    We crow about what we have achieved - unashamedly - but that's different.

The weekly news email will give details of what's needed if different, but basicually it's summer (boating) winter (everything else from chip shops to chartwork). Detail will change and many families don't nail what they need to do now to achieve other things later. So it might be unfair to them to give them what might be misunderstood to be a choice, when it's actually a program.

I thoroughly agree though with visibility post the event (or even during it using social media)

Rich

Rich

Thanks
    We do for explorers, where the theory is that we only deal with them not the parents, but not for the younger sections. Mainly just so when things inevitably change or we rebook something it doesn't cause confusion. We dont send emails either, if theres somewhere different to meet or whatever, it's telling the kids the previous week plus posting to parents on facebook.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Our programme only has the title (sometimes cryptic) and a short subheading.

For example, with our Cub Programme, in a couple of weeks we have "What a Mess!", with the byline "an evening of the messiest activities imaginable, no uniform this week!"

The programme is arranged in 3 columns. 1st is date. 2nd is the programme. 3rd is the venue (as we move around a bit)

For Cubs we have separate programmes for Tuesday and Wednesday (fairly similar, but with differences). For Scouts, because its the same leader team, we have one programme on the wall with both dates on each week.

In terms of detail, 2 emails go out each week:

1 - the parent email. This gives a bit more info as to what we'll be doing that week, location details if not at our HQ, what to bring/wear, and is then followed by a copy of any relevent notices, reminders about events etc, and finishes with a note about where the following week's meeting will be. It goes out on the Friday evening of the week before (normally we discuss the detail of it in the pub on the thursday night)

2 - The 3 week plan. This goes out to leaders and includes the full detail programme for that week, a rough outline of the following week, and a reminder of what is happening on the third week plus any info for leaders.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    In general outline. With the clear caveat that it may change without notice with the weather or a better idea occuring to us.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Epona For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Epona View Post
    In general outline. With the clear caveat that it may change without notice with the weather or a better idea occuring to us.
    That is the clear basis we publish ou outline programme on as well

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    That is the clear basis we publish ou outline programme on as well
    Same here.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    Same here.
    Well all good ! My worst experience of differing values from different leaders was taking an offer from a friend who is a fencing instructor to my local troop to run a fencing evening, which for various reasons could only be done at short notice. It was an offer which was refused owing to the programme having been fixed the term before, and being balanced and planned and could not be changed (I think on the evening in question they were practicing first aid without an external instructor). I was delighted that a troop in the next village took them on with enthusiasm and had a great evening.

Thanks
    Our programme is far from balanced this term - it is mainly adventurous. But I can save the Creative and community stuff for the darker evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (18-05-2017),richardnhunt (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    Isn't a balanced programme old hat now? I thought the new buzz words are "quality programme".
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBadBaloo For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (18-05-2017)

Thanks
    We're trail blazing a new technique which takes its inspiration from supply chain logistics. Its called the Just In Time (JIT) program delivery system.

We think of it just in time for the kids turn up at the hall on a Thursday night...

Got to say, so far, its worked fairly well...

No, really... Its been fine.. Nary a panic... Not a whiff of desperation...

Seriously.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

BeardySi (19-05-2017),boballan (20-05-2017),Kev (20-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    We're trail blazing a new technique which takes its inspiration from supply chain logistics. Its called the Just In Time (JIT) program delivery system.

We think of it just in time for the kids turn up at the hall on a Thursday night...

Got to say, so far, its worked fairly well...

No, really... Its been fine.. Nary a panic... Not a whiff of desperation...

Seriously.

When I had a hall with all the storage space and the kit available at the drop of a hat, we ran JIT. Worked really well.

Going back to the OP. No, we don't.

Last night I had publicised in advance what we were doing - we were doing some gardening in lieu of litter picking - we had our lowest ever turn out.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Always emailed a programme out, with location and other details. Give the session a cryptic/fun name rather than be simply descriptive to avoid any pick and mixing of evenings.
    Chris Hawes, CSL (Akela) and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group (on sabbatical); District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    Always emailed a programme out, with location and other details. Give the session a cryptic/fun name rather than be simply descriptive to avoid any pick and mixing of evenings.
    Even things like "first aid" can be made to sound fun.

On our programme it was called "Save a Life" with the description "pick up some vital life saving skills"
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

20. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (22-05-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast