This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Do you publish your programme?

A simple question really - do you publish your programme to parents (Either by letter/email/Facebook etc) or do you 'keep it a secret'?

This term we are going to be out and about a fair bit, and i'd like to give parents a bit of a 'heads up' of changes/being out of the meeting place, and also give an indication if there might be something helpful they could bring.

However, I worry that this means that Scouts won't come when it's something they don't like the sound of...

Does anyone publish their programme as such, and if you do, do you find that some Scouts don't come when they don't like the sound of it?
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,285 Posts
    We didnt used to publish ours at Scouts (we did at Cubs and Beavers) due to fear of kids not coming.

We've now started publishing it, as it makes it clear to parents where the kids need to be, what they need to bring, etc. We havent had any issues with kids not coming along to things they dont like the sound of. We do make some of the titles a little bit cryptic to keep them guessing though!
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

3. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (15-05-2017)

Thanks
    I usually make a graphic and publish it to our closed Facebook group but it only shows the upcoming 6 weeks. Any longer and I find parents forget and it's a good idea to leave yourself some wriggle room in case you need to change things.

The parents have commented that they like it and the Beavers even check it to see what we will be getting up to.
    Proud Beaver Scout Leader of a bunch of ankle biters.

Thanks
    Thanks!

I was going to do: Date, Activity, Location, Anything Needed.

Can you all tell that i'm trying to get in a really good routine for Scouts?!
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    We don't publish ours but will email parents a couple of weeks before if going to be meeting elsewhere or they need to being something in particular along.

We tend to change things around a bit so a published programme wouldn't end up being that accurate for us

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    A simple question really - do you publish your programme to parents (Either by letter/email/Facebook etc) or do you 'keep it a secret'?

This term we are going to be out and about a fair bit, and i'd like to give parents a bit of a 'heads up' of changes/being out of the meeting place, and also give an indication if there might be something helpful they could bring.

However, I worry that this means that Scouts won't come when it's something they don't like the sound of...

Does anyone publish their programme as such, and if you do, do you find that some Scouts don't come when they don't like the sound of it?
    Yes, we email all parents with the programme once we've planned it, plus reminders a week or so in advance. You might get one or two not turn up but usually they come along with their friends anyway.
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    I do not understand why we want to hide what we are doing from attendees (scouts) because they may not come if we tell them.

Let's change this around. Say you were involved in a club. You pay membership fee to it. You are only interested as a member. You are not interested in the running of the place. The club wants you for an hour on a certain date but they won't tell you why. Then you find out they won't tell you why because they think you won't attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    We publish the programme. We have the term published prior to the start of term on our website. We have it on our wall. Activities we want to highlight go out in a mailchimp plus Facebook- normally what is happening that week and any paid for activities coming up.

Most of the activities are obvious e.g. Rifle shooting, kayaking. We have some that are code - geocaching means you lot are awful at placing your on a map, let's improve your skills. Then we have the odd cryptic one e.g. Rope manipulation or knot that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to claire.shadbolt For This Useful Post:

Ker-stee (15-05-2017)

Thanks
    We often publish programmes to our website. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but that is due to availability of someone to write it up and publish it rather than any kind of secrecy. It's just that it isn't currently a high priority as such.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    I publish mine for everything planned so far for the year. Whether I publish it or not, the turnout is similar.

I have a statement on the bottom saying that the programme is subject to change and I do send a new one out periodically.

It does mean that parents then have dates in the calendar for camps and trips with plenty of notice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,021 Posts
    It goes on OSM. I haven't noticed any attendance issues as a result.

Thanks
    We send ours out by email, but with the disclaimer that we might change the themes without prior warning.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Assistant Beaver Scout Leader (Woodbadge)
    Ex Colony Assistant & DofE Helper
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

Ex DofE Helper (Beavers), 1st Egglescliffe (St John's) Scout Group

http://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, etc.

Thanks
    We did have one scout who would only show up to things on the programme which he liked the look of and was disruptive when he did turn up. I currently tell the scouts at the end of a meeting what we are planning next week and email parents a few days before where anything special is required. We have got an evolving programme for the whole term (based on old fashioned 3 term years) and we do give plenty of notice for camps and so on. I do get a few parents insisting that they need to know the whole programme - I don't really understand where they are coming from.

Thanks
    Always, and expect it as a parent. A balanced evening might have a something educational but also games and more fun activities, but overall it communicates your planning and development to parents and members. The only sections who hide their programmes in my experience don't have one on simple investigation!

Thanks
    All our sections manage their programmes using OSM, so all parents have access via My.Scout. Our website also publishes the programmes from OSM. Any specific details about locations (if we are meeting off-site) are sent by OSM email.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast