Thread: Does anybody use the Vango Tempest or Halo range on here?

Thanks

Question Does anybody use the Vango Tempest or Halo range on here?

We need to buy some new hike tents for use by our scouts. They will be used on campsite, but will also be used whilst wild camping in the Brecons or Snowdonia, possibly Scottish Highlands, so they need to be strong. Probably a mix of 2 and 3-man tents and ideally all from the same range.

I quite like the look of the Halo. I prefer geodesics over tunnels for scouts as they are simpler to pitch properly (IMHO), so I'm leaning towards the Halo, but I'd apprecite the thoughts of others.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,311 Posts
    If you are going for different sizes then I would also look at going for a different range for each size... eg get 2 man Halos and 3 man Tempests, to reduce confusion over parts
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Another thing to consider is how much kit they are taking with them. I personally like the Tempest 300 as it has a relatively big porch area for a 3-man tent which allows space for bags, shoes etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    If you are going for different sizes then I would also look at going for a different range for each size... eg get 2 man Halos and 3 man Tempests, to reduce confusion over parts
    Good point, well made!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Olig View Post
    Another thing to consider is how much kit they are taking with them. I personally like the Tempest 300 as it has a relatively big porch area for a 3-man tent which allows space for bags, shoes etc.
    I generally instruct them to stick their rucksacks inside their emergency bags and leave them outside rather than cluttering the tent.

Thanks
    I have a Tempest 200. I haven't had it for long and so the harshest conditions it has had to deal with is Gilwell Wintercamp. I like it, as has already been said it has quite a generous porch for a hike tent, but I've only used it on my own and so kept my kit in the main compartment. Quick and easy to pitch too. Whoever at Vango decided to change all their bags recently to drawstring rather than zips deserves a medal!

Just as an aside, at the recent briefing weekend for the Moot, at Gilwell, I would have said >50% had Vangos, the majority Banshees, but the occasional Tempest and Halo too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hisdark View Post

Just as an aside, at the recent briefing weekend for the Moot, at Gilwell, I would have said >50% had Vangos, the majority Banshees, but the occasional Tempest and Halo too.
    The Banshee is OK for one, but there would be fights over who sleeps where and is next to the single exit :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garethhowell View Post
    The Banshee is OK for one, but there would be fights over who sleeps where and is next to the single exit :-)
    Last time I looked they had an exit both sides, but one side had less storage space, virtually none.

We bought tempests.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Aah, right. Thanks for the clarification. It's not clear from the diagram on the Vango website.

CSL (+...)
    Thanks
    My daughter (explorer) has a halo and we have tempests at scouts. I prefer the halo, certainly for base camps. The exits both sides and twin porches are really useful.

The Halo 300 really is a 3 man tent. She has camped with 4 in it. The Tempest 300 is fine for 3 cubs but is very cosy for 3 explorers.

Daughter also says Halo is better in harsh weather, and doesn't have the Tempests annoying roof vent which the scouts never seem to cover.

So my vote would be Halos

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks, frazzle.
    I think I need to go and take a look at them before proceeding further.

Thanks
    We have the tempests, both 200 and 300. They are quick and easy to put up and we've had no problem in bad weather.
    For base camp we tend to put 2 in a 300 as it gives them a little more room.
    I use a 300 for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garethhowell View Post
    I think I need to go and take a look at them before proceeding further.
    Definitely. Take a leader friend too. And don't be shy and get in them too!

I guess the other thing with the tempests is the shape narrows at one end, so while the 300 is 170cm across the widest point of the inner, it's narrower and lower at the bottom end, so you can't really top and tail in it, whereas the Halo is a rectangle, so would feel much bigger, and more comfy to top and tail.

Whether the Halo is 75 better than the Tempest. Or if your budget stretches that far. Two Halo or three tempests for the same money.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    We've used Halos for about 8 years, and have both Halo 200s and Halo 300s

Reasonable amount of space - 2 Explorers + DofE kit, 3 Explorers + DofE kit respectively (a bit cosy by the time they are on Gold, but they given the choice of using the 300s, and carrying 3 tents for a team of team of 6, or carrying 3 x 2 man they take the larger tents). For a basecamp the 300 would be preferred.

Contrary to an earlier poster, having the same tent in different sizes means they are quicker at putting them up, as they are more familiar with them. The first batch of 200s we bought were red, which made keeping track of parts easier. Now they are all labelled up. But whatever type you chose, stick with it, as you can then cannibalise bits as spares and replacements.
    "Rach..... what do I do with the instant whip once it's boiling???"

AESL Phoenix (Afon) Cardiff
    SAGGA
    Birmingham Uni Scout and Guide Club (BUSAG) and SSAGO chairman many years ago....

Thanks
    I have a Tempest 300 which I got very cheap from an online retailer end of sale. I didn't use it for months but when I did I found that the pole that goes over the porch was too long. I contacted Vango who said I should just cut it down (or return it to them and they would cut it down for me). I'm guessing the tent was originally returned as faulty, visually checked without putting it up and then resold. Anyway, I could have got a refund of the money I paid for it but that wouldn't have been anywhere near enough to get a new tent so I did cut the pole down myself and it has been fine - lots of room for the weight. I just wonder if there is any variation on porch pole lengths, which clearly would cause an issue if poles got mixed up on scouts camps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I just wonder if there is any variation on porch pole lengths, which clearly would cause an issue if poles got mixed up on scouts camps.
    The design gets tweaked from year to year. The tempest used to have a pointy porch for example. I guess sometimes the poles might change length too, just for sport.
    Ian Wilkins