Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldest Leader?

Thanks
    [QUOTE=merryweather;
    I was hoping to stay in scouting and work my way up to getting a 70 year service award. sadly not.
    [/QUOTE]

Sadly the first thing is the 60 year award. My 60 year point came up 2 years ago, and it's proven too difficult to award it to me either by County or District. I haven't left TSA ... I think it's left me.
    Chris A.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    Sadly the first thing is the 60 year award. My 60 year point came up 2 years ago, and it's proven too difficult to award it to me either by County or District. I haven't left TSA ... I think it's left me.
    Chris A.
    You are not alone. TSA seem to have stopped awarding long service awards completely. Apparently something to do with Compass (and utter incompetence).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to khoomei For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (21-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 787 Posts
    According to my compass record I will be eligible for my 15-year service award in Sept but they seem to have lost some of my service somewhere seeing as I have had an appointment since I was 18 and am 35 now. Even taking my second appointment as the start date which was in Sept 2001 would give 15 years service in Sept 2016 not 2017.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I have had an appointment since I was 18 and will be 70 this year; however somewhere along the way in the 70's I lost a big chunk and had to start again. My 30 year award was 6 years ago and I am still waiting for it to be presented.

Thanks
    Afaik, Compass doesn't deal with service awards. Mms still maintains the counting for that. The problem is likely that there is no automatic link between the 2.
    Generally missing service is down to mms not having been updated when something has changed locally. Ie your district didn't tell gilwell you had an appt at that time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Snab

Scottish Scout Active Support Unit Manager

Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I have had an appointment since I was 18 and will be 70 this year; however somewhere along the way in the 70's I lost a big chunk and had to start again. My 30 year award was 6 years ago and I am still waiting for it to be presented.
    My Dad got his 30 and 40 year service awards 2 years apart. When he got his 30 year one he looked a bit puzzled and queried it as he has been a warranted Leader since he was 18 so was well past 30 years service at the time. Luckily for him he is a hoader and had all his old warrant cards to prove his unbroken service record and so the DC managed to get his records ammended and got his 40 year service award sorted about on time. So if you have you old warrant cards you might also be able to get the service award you actually deserve.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I lost a couple of years service from the 1980s as I didn't keep the paperwork (basically didn't guess 30 years later I'd still be a leader and it would be relevant). Even photos of me in uniform and testimony from some of the cubs and leaders that were there with me weren't enough but I know I was there, we all had a good time and some of the cubs even remember it fondly so to be honest what do I actually need a badge for to prove it?
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

Thanks
    We got my Grandad's 50 year service award this week, dated 2015. Unfortunately he passed away last January and never received it...
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzledbyadream View Post
    We got my Grandad's 50 year service award this week, dated 2015. Unfortunately he passed away last January and never received it...
    We really don't value some of our leaders properlyas we should. This sort of milestone should have been celebrated, not have the badge sit in someone's in-box for two years. This happens too often, a DC retires and hands over a pile of unpresented awards. If we're going to give out awards of any description, lets do it properly.
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith at 2M For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (24-05-2017),shiftypete (24-05-2017)

Thanks
    Our Assistant Leader has been a leader since 1955, however he tells me that at the time you could not become a leader until you were 26, also impacting on the service was the fact that leader had to automatically retire at the age of 60 - he did continue as a skills instructor at the time.

Last service Award he got was for 40 years service, and that was 22 years ago.
    Group Scout Leader

www.6theastkilbride.com