Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldest Leader?

Thanks

Oldest Leader?

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk...ng-scout-64767

A few badges on that uniform that I haven't seen for a few years. And the hat!

At first I thought BBS, but the kids and Leader in the background are SA.

Thanks
    Not sure what date he started but one of our ACSLs is a similar age and has been involved since he was a scout. Still as involved as ever, was on cub camp last weekend.

I suspect there are a few more out there.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    There is a 70 year long service award, for which you would need to be at least 88. I assume a number of these have been awarded.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,311 Posts
    Im assuming they mean "flag breaks" rather than "fag breaks".
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

BigBaloo (21-05-2017),GScrimgeour (19-05-2017),johnL (18-05-2017),johnmcmahon (20-05-2017)

Thanks
    Our County Chaplain was 93 when he passed away, and had been active in his parish and at the County AGM when he was 92, he received his 70 year award
    A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room. Baden-Powell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Im assuming they mean "flag breaks" rather than "fag breaks".
    Yes - I liked that too!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GScrimgeour View Post
    Yes - I liked that too!
    I read through it initially and thought "thats hardly the way to promote the healthy* life of a Scout Leader"

Then it clicked!

*now if they'd said "5000 cups of coffee and 2500 pints of beer" that would have been fine
    Dan Spencer

Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District

Web designer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 923 Posts
    Red six must be on top form if you need to pop out for a fag break halfway through the meeting.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    You have to wonder about some of these journalists - whether they actually read the stuff they publish. Sure the spell checker says "Fag break" is OK but surely it needs a "sense" checker as well. Same group of papers - our local paper was blaming Weston Power Distribution for power cuts instead of Western Power Distribution - Weston being an area of Bath affected by said power cuts! Meanwhile the Bristol Post had an article describing how the M32 would be "close" for parts of the weekend - does it wander about so that sometimes its close and sometimes far away?
    Does anyone know what's going on?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

Puzzledbyadream (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    You have to wonder about some of these journalists - whether they actually read the stuff they publish.
    Nobody ever proof reads stuff these days.

For some reason I have a real eye for spelling and grammatical errors and always have had from a very early age. This kind of thing just jumps out at me and shouts "unprofessional".

(I have of course tempted fate, and so I bet there's at least one in this post.)

Thanks
    You have to wonder about some of these journalists - whether they actually read the stuff they publish. Sure the spell checker says "Fag break" is OK but surely it needs a "sense" checker as well. Same group of papers - our local paper was blaming Weston Power Distribution for power cuts instead of Western Power Distribution - Weston being an area of Bath affected by said power cuts! Meanwhile the Bristol Post had an article describing how the M32 would be "close" for parts of the weekend - does it wander about so that sometimes its close and sometimes far away?
    Perhaps Weston is just such a great place that it needs its own power distribution company. With 2 power cuts in a week they're obviously not much good at their job (and with one of the leaders managing to trip the electrics on Wednesday night as well i've now had to reset the clock on the central heating system at the scout hall 3 times in just over a week)

The proximity of the M32 does indeed vary... At night I would consider that I live pretty close to it -I can drive out of my road and be on the M32 in just over 5 minutes. At 8am though i'd consider that i live far away from it as it can take 45 minutes to get there!!
    Dan Spencer

Web designer

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    I saw a publisher rant about this once.

<tl:dr> If you consider the number of typos as a % of the number of words printed, then most written media has a lower failure rate than the aircraft industry. People are fallible, there's a lot of words. It's easy to criticise with hindsight.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

Bushfella (19-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Nobody ever proof reads stuff these days.

For some reason I have a real eye for spelling and grammatical errors and always have had from a very early age. This kind of thing just jumps out at me and shouts "unprofessional".

(I have of course tempted fate, and so I bet there's at least one in this post.)
    It is well recorded that I cannot type to save myself (despite an RI strain that says otherwise). However, when writing for publication I generally pick up the errors as I go. However, one of the most difficult things to do when writing thousands and thousands of words, is to proof read your own work properly. Especially if it is done digitally. I print off my editorial copy and read hard copy. It is truly wasteful of paper and ink, but it is somewhat easier to see errors on paper.

My work is then sent to the publisher who proofs it again, and it, and all the other content comes back to me, and I often find more errors (mine and others*). We put the magazine together and we get a proof from the designer. We then see more, usually minor errors, or errors introduced by the designer.

Two weeks later, when the magazine comes out, we sometimes find that we have missed something. Sometimes we have either missed it, or the corrected text has not been used.

On a daily publication, many of the safeguards have been removed. Proof readers have gone, sub editors have gone - and the journalist will write to fit a template. At the printers the Reader will have gone as he no longer has plates to read. There never is a safety net on-line.

Just yesterday, someone pointed out an error on a website I manage. It was so minor it made no difference to the context and had not been spotted by anyone at the organisation (who had proofed it) for three years. It was my error but I excuse myself on this one because their play on words was wrong and didn't really work, mine did, but there you go.

Ironically, I can read other peoples' work and spot their errors.

I have a contributor (several) who think that a Company is plural. I had a well educated and long standing journalist who could never spell accommodate - which highlights another issue for publishers. If someone puts in the spelling of a word, say, acommodate, and they add it to the digital vocabulary, then it will always show as correct even though it is incorrect.

*A number of my contributors are non-native speakers of English and often the English translation of their work carries over the structure and idiom of their native language. That can be hugely difficult to "correct" - especially if you can understand the idiom and structure.

Equally, I have paid an IT expert to sort my PC - post Win 10 upgrade ( quelle surprise) and I have ended up having to work out how to do it myself. I have paid mechanics to fix cars, and ended up doing it myself. I have paid plumbers to do jobs that I have had to correct. Journalists are an easy target when they make mistakes. I make a mistake and thousands of people see it. An engineer makes an error on a machining, only the client sees it and he just redoes the work. His errors are hidden.
    Last edited by Bushfella; 19-05-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 978 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk...ng-scout-64767

A few badges on that uniform that I haven't seen for a few years. And the hat!

At first I thought BBS, but the kids and Leader in the background are SA.
    into my eighth decade and I can easily see that those kids are from somewhere in Gloucestershire and not South Africa!

(clue is in the native american woggle he's wearing)

I was hoping to stay in scouting past my three years and work my way up to getting a 70 year service award. sadly not.

I suspect that his health might not be so good if he's had 2500 fag breaks.

TM
    going...going...

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 978 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Red six must be on top form if you need to pop out for a fag break halfway through the meeting.
    red six?????????

you must be confused (or colour-blind).

It will be yellow six on top form, red six would normally be outside on the fag break too.

TM
    going...going...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast