Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety advice on wearing Uniform in public

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts

Safety advice on wearing Uniform in public

Does HQ risk assessment on wearing Scout uniform in public include;

"Demotion for HQ staff seen wearing Scout Uniform in public ?"
    Last edited by Tony Ransley; 27-05-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post

"Possible demotion for HQ staff seen wearing scout Uniform in public ?"
    Yup, certainly our "higher than me's" never ever appear in a buttoned shirt....

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    the wearing of uniform is an entitlement not an obligation.

maybe they've decided to wear it in secret?

maybe they feel different and wish to be recognised in a different way?

maybe they're shy?

maybe it really isn't safe for them; maybe they might just get recognised?

btw who are you talking about?

i don't wear uniform.

i used to wear uniform; mine comprised a pair of yellow marigold gloves.

TM
    Last edited by merryweather; 26-05-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: the moshi monsters wish to have a no uniform no clothes day! naturally!
    going...going...still here...just

4. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

johnmcmahon (26-05-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    i used to wear uniform; mine comprised a pair of yellow marigold gloves.
    Tactfully positioned to avoid yellow card infractions I trust.

Thanks
    Personally I choose not to wear uniform. Untitled or otherwise.

Thanks
    personally i believe that people who don't wear uniform are shy.

this can be a big worry.

i used to be shy when wearing my marigolds.

i overcame it by starting a support group.

maybe there's a scout association support group that all these people can join?

TM

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    This used to bug me. I've now stopped caring.

My leader team wear uniform whenever it is appropriate. This includes the vast majority of section meetings. We don't have a hard and fast "we always travel to camp in uniform" but we are today. On a recent survival camp we made the decision not to take any uniform items apart from neckers to camp as uniform wasnt the appropriate clothing.

The young people wear uniform to each section meeting. We do inspection on an ad-hoc basis. We encourage them to take pride in their uniform and their appearance. From time to time i remind leaders that if they are in uniform they are representing Scouting and should look smart. I would rather see a leader in a group hoodie than looking scruffy in uniform.

My uniform shirt and necker are currently on the passenger seat of the minibus. I will put them on just before the kids arrive. For now, for loading the van, a t-shirt and shorts are more appropriate attire.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (27-05-2017),tonybaulch (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post

"Demotion for HQ staff seen wearing Scout Uniform in public ?"
    i believe the official line is for these staff to wear uniform only in designated safe and secure places with adequate police/army protection. this means wearing of uniform by them is restricted to inside windsor castle.

outside of these safe and secure arrangements it is best to wear polo/i.scout/T shirt and uk necker. note that for safety reasons the later must be tied with a friendship knot (a.k.a. fidget knot) and under no circumstances must a dangerous woggle be worn that could be used by unfriendly hoi-polloi/great unwashed/common members .

it is officially deemed to be inappropriate for them to wear uniform at any other time.

of course i could be wrong...

... but if that were so then we should see them wearing uniform much more often and in places such as M&S, baxtergate, doncaster or even, dare i say, a camp in deepest rural england.

eh? what did you say? 'fat chance'?

TM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (30-05-2017)

Thanks
    I think uniform is just yet another area where HQ is totally out of touch with the rank and file of scouting.

I've become more and more of the opinion we do scouting in spite of what HQ does rather than because of it. It just the usual "big company" problem of there being too much gap between the coalface and the top management.

It amuses me to see the focus groups and surveys being touted that always return what HQ want to do anyway. It's exactly like work. And like work if you've been around long enough you learn to ignore it all.

Maybe that why they want new younger leaders.....
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kastor For This Useful Post:

bernwood (28-05-2017),PaulArthurs (30-05-2017),pa_broon74 (27-05-2017),tonybaulch (27-05-2017)

Thanks

" Boys Of The Empire......."

' I did see some Scouts in uniform near BP House yesterday [not that BP House the other one] where you know who lives with her family......[hush now]

I think they may have been American.....I sat on the floor of the taxi, just in case we passed any others....!!

Dr.Stu..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Well, for what it is worth from this rebellious ex-Scouter...

When on business representing Scouting to others, I always wore uniform as a matter of principle. I also wore it to District meetings and part uniform to our own meeetings.

I now wear our Navigator top when representing Navigators.

Never been a uniform enforcer, as such, but if we don't wear uniform when representing what we do, how can we ask the youth membership to do the same?

Kids don't like wearing uniform - Rollox! They are happy to wear the uniform of their favourite football/ rugby club even though they may never have seen them play, and even the local martial arts kids often walk to and from classes in their "uniform" - mind you - I guess people think twice about challenging the kid wyho chops wood with his bare hands
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    i detect a little of anti-HQ angst being blown off here.

really people: just what has become of you all!?

all of you literally have no idea of the challenges that some senior scouters face.

i'm sorry but i have to say how sadly disappointing i find your remarks and behaviour.

let me tell you why wearing scout uniform on TV and such like is not for HQ and such like scouters. there are two reasons why and you all know one of them is all about supporting you, so no wonder your remarks are ungrateful.

reason 1: chroma key compositing!

yes you know it's true. the BBC and ITV have introduced beige chroma key compositing on their programmes where scouting is involved. now i know i've only got one GCSE but i'm going to give you all a bit of science! using this beige chroma key means that anyone who turns up wearing a scouters shirt/leader uniform is going to be missing a lot of their body!

they'll look heartless!

(do you really think they're heartless?)

would you want to look silly in this situation? no. i didn't think so.

reason 2: looking different.

it's no good the great and good looking the same as everyone else! how would we minions know how to spot someone who can help us in our need? they have to look different! why shouldn't they be privileged to wear the select navy polo shirt/i.scout costume and uk necker with friendship knot?

i think all you lot need to take an inward look at yourselves!

glad i'm different.

TM

17. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

RisingStar (27-05-2017)

Thanks
    (do you really think they're heartless?)
    Sophie and Rachael have offered to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

i think all you lot need to take an inward look at yourselves!
    "take out their innards and look for yourselves" Rachael has assigned the mission she will invoice you latter.

Thanks
    seriously.

if i felt i was on scouting 'business' i would always consider wearing uniform if appropriate. would i wear it for a PR opportunity while climbing? no. what about when swimming? no....&c. for the vast majority of scouting 'business' that i did i wore uniform; however, i was only ever a very small wonky cog.

i did sometimes go and help out at the 'big camp/tent in chingford'. on every occasion bar one i wore uniform to travel. why, surely it would have been more comfortable to have just been in mufti? and i did know that i didn't do it for insurance purposes!

two reasons: 1. it was appropriate as i was on scouting business; 2. it saved me money. furthermore - maybe i should say 3? - it attracted conversation from fellow travellers on the train up and down to the 'big camp', which helped to break the boredom of the journey at times but also helped to inform people as well as say thanks for some good remarks. (and i got a free coffee on a virgin train once!)

hold on a tic TM...... how can wearing uniform save you money!!?

first time on business (boring non marigold stuff) to the big tent in chingford i wore mufti. i travelled there on the train (trains!) i got to chingford station at about 8pm on a dark november night. i walked out the station, turned left to the taxi rank, and ordered a taxi to the 'big camp' (gilwell park in the vernacular). i waited for 10 minutes behind a queue of four people. then over the space of 2 minutes 4 taxis arrived and proceeded to follow one another, down the drive at gilwell and all parked outside HQ. can't recall what we paid, 5 each? so 20 all in maybe? next time i wore uniform. when i got to the taxi rank two people approached me: 'going to gilwell, want to share?'. on that occasion it cost 1.50, proof that wearing uniform saves money.

i see no reason why someone appearing on TV to give a scouting interview, or something else such like, for example, should not wear uniform.

TM
    Last edited by merryweather; 28-05-2017 at 06:49 AM. Reason: don't be a moshi monster and hide in the shadows when wearing uniform!

Thanks
    I was recently told by someone much younger than myself that all Explorers should wear uniform. 10 years ago, I was of the same opinion, but times change and we move forward.

My response was that I prefer to have large numbers of members Scouting than low numbers wearing uniform. They voted to wear hoodies instead and it is their Unit, not mine. As long as they wear uniform to parade, it is their choice.

In my humble opinion, members (regarless of whether they are a Youth Member, Leader or staff at HQ) should be allowed to wear whatever they feel comfortable in, whether that be uniform, an iScout hoody or locally designed clothing suitable for the event.

Uniform is a privilege, not mandatory.

Why do we get so hung up on it?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Testarossa For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (29-05-2017),Rikki01 (29-05-2017)