Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Woodcraft Folk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 601 Posts

The Woodcraft Folk

In the past I have countered attempts to include The woodcraft Folk in the Scouting Family by stating they describe themselves as 'Not Scouts' .

I wish to apologise in The I last Sunday they describe themselves as the "Anti Scout" Movement and look forward to building themselves into a mass movement following Jermey Corbin's successful Election.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Ransley For This Useful Post:

GSL-Rob (13-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,302 Posts
    Sorry, Tony, the WF did not describe themselves as anti-scout. Those were the words of someone who had been at a particular group. The feeling on the WF FB group is very much that the article was incorrect to say that they were anti-scout.

I have to say that I met several Scout leaders who were not only anti-Woodcraft folk, but also anti any other association. I can recall a debate we had when I took a booking enquiry for 100 Woodies to camp on our site for a weekend. There were quite a few unhappy died in the wool Scouters, but they conceded on the basis that we needed the money desperately.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Puzzledbyadream (13-06-2017)

Thanks
    Ewan, having visited several Woodcraft folk groups over 25 years as a youth worker I never experienced any positive comments about the scouts and lots of highly inaccurate or outdated comments about the scouts, hence my description of them as 'not scouts'.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 923 Posts
    The writer was clearly just trotting out his childhood prejudices and one eyed views of scouting. Where the other lot are dismissed and belittled, how better to inculcate your charges that they're in the right place, better than that lot, and shouldn't even think of fraternising with "them".

See also football teams. Schools. Towns.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

roger-uk (13-06-2017)

Thanks
    Tony

Chill my friend! I've yet to read the article but it sounds like a journalist looking for a story that isn't really there.

As for the bit about building a movement under Corbyn.... I can't see it ever rivalling more main stream scout associations as they clearly have a very different ethos in terms of the program. I would though say that it's a cautionary tale in another way. You have regularly advocated more government funding for scouting. Imagine we were getting that money. Now imagine that in two years time Corbyn was Prime Minister. While bookies odds are still probably against that it's still not what I would call a stupid thing to have a fiver on. Now imagine that Corbyn favour woodies over scouts and bang goes the funding.

Then what?

I'm quite happy for scouts to be scouts, Woodies to be woodies and the government to leave both movements well alone.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (14-06-2017),johnL (13-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Tony Chill my friend!
    I'm chilled

- - - Updated - - -

You have regularly advocated more government funding for scouting.
    I thought I regularly advocate for a fair and rational youth funding policy, quite happy to have all youth organisations funded to the same extent we are at present.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    Ewan, having visited several Woodcraft folk groups over 25 years as a youth worker I never experienced any positive comments about the scouts and lots of highly inaccurate or outdated comments about the scouts, hence my description of them as 'not scouts'.
    Once again, our mileage varies.

I, having visited several Scout groups over 25 years as a youth leader have heard lots of negative comments by Scouters about other Scout associations and woodcraft Folk and anyone one else that crosses their path. That does not make them correct.

I am also pleased to say that in that same period I have also met many wonderful and open minded leaders from various associations, including Woodies, UKBPSA, Federation etc..

In any organisation there will be those who move on and then make completely out of tune, off message comments that will be seized upon by others.

We are all of one source. We are all brothers (and sisters) and it ill-behoves any one from any association to speak ill of any of the others. TSA is no longer for me, I decided that UKBPSA and BBS or the Federation were not for me. I eschewed Woodies because their policies are more politically left leaning than I liked - though, I have to admit that in recent months I have found myself increasingly sympathetic to the left. I chose Navigators, not because they were better than anyone else, but because they fitted my needs.

I will warrant that my choice of association has been subject to more thought than most leaders have put into their choice of association. But I will not disrespect any of the other associations in this wider world of "scouting".

BTW, my referal to Woodies on their own FB Group as "scouting in its wider meaning" received several likes and not one voice of criticism. Theybye giving the lie to the argument that they are dogmatically anti-scout.
    Last edited by Bushfella; 13-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

bernwood (14-06-2017),Cl1v3 (13-06-2017),Ian Mallett (14-06-2017)

Thanks
    Mmm...

Do they call themselves Woodies for short, or it something we're doing?

I can see issues with that title among their membership demographic...

Just saying like...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Mmm...

Do they call themselves Woodies for short, or it something we're doing?

I can see issues with that title among their membership demographic...

Just saying like...

They do.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    I've yet to read the article but it sounds like a journalist looking for a story that isn't really there.
    Perhaps someone could post a link so everyone can read it and form their own opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    Perhaps someone could post a link so everyone can read it and form their own opinion.
    Your wish...

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/woodcraftcorbyn/

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

Tony Ransley (13-06-2017)

Thanks
    Oh the irony !

I have just been accepted on the Woodcraft Folks Facebook site so 1st Facebook appears to be the only group which finds me to hot to handle.

Thanks
    I wonder if the parliamentary scout & guide group will want to involve them in their activities?

Given virtually all the Woodcraft Folk's major camps and Annual Gathering take place on large Scout Campsites these days. As a supporter member of Woodcraft Folk as well as an ABSL and member of the Bradley Wood Campsite Service Team , I don't see that an invitation would go amiss.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mallett View Post
    I wonder if the parliamentary scout & guide group will want to involve them in their activities?

Given virtually all the Woodcraft Folk's major camps and Annual Gathering take place on large Scout Campsites these days. As a supporter member of Woodcraft Folk as well as an ABSL and member of the Bradley Wood Campsite Service Team , I don't see that an invitation would go amiss.
    Wouldn't that compromise their principles surely they wouldn't want to work with people they disagree with so fundamentally

Thanks
    It must be said that my interaction with the Woodcraft Folk has a sample size of 1 and is not therfore representative but my experience none the less is that they see us as a enemy

They seem to have this heavily distorted view of the scouts as somthing more like the Hitler youth than reality! They think we exist only to recruit new cannon fodder for the army and that we spend all of our time marching!

They also seem to have a massive objection to us promising to do our duty to the Queen....

The other key difference I encountered is that the are openly and loudly political, in a way that makes Jeremy Corbyn look like a Conservative! If they were any further left they would make Karl marx look right wing!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast