Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Befriending on facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    To be honest, facebook seems to be fading as a social network amongst da yoof.
    I noticed that. Its still potentially great for connecting with parents, but among YP there seems to be more buzz about Instagram now (in these parts at least). Im not sure how good that would be for keeping in touch though, seems to be more for sharing photos to a Luddite like me.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    I think there is a tendency to get a wee bit paranoid with online stuff. For example, what are people putting on Facebook that they wouldn't want anyone to see?

Putting the 'friending' of Scouts/Explorers to one side - is it not more of a worry that a leader might be putting stuff up that they wouldn't want young folk to see?

I wouldn't friend Scouts on FB, they are too young (and for the most part, shouldn't be on it anyway - minimum age is 13), but Explorers (bearing in mind, mine are all now 16/17 and we were never the most formal unit... I don't see that as a problem.*)

*Although I get it for a big area-wide unit that needs to have more rigid structures in place.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I wouldn't friend Scouts on FB, they are too young (and for the most part, shouldn't be on it anyway - minimum age is 13), but Explorers (bearing in mind, mine are all now 16/17 and we were never the most formal unit... I don't see that as a problem.*)
    I would say its not the content but more a privacy issue. So if I want to post on facebook that I am having a crap day, or that i enjoyed a good night out or even something a bit political then I don't want to have to think is that something I want Explorers to see or not. So its not that I am posting embarrasing pictures or something its more that what I do on facebook is really none of the Explorer business.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (16-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I would say its not the content but more a privacy issue. So if I want to post on facebook that I am having a crap day, or that i enjoyed a good night out or even something a bit political then I don't want to have to think is that something I want Explorers to see or not. So its not that I am posting embarrasing pictures or something its more that what I do on facebook is really none of the Explorer business.
    Yup.

I suppose it depends how you are with your Explorers. We have a moderately flat hierarchy with ours. Where we are more careful is in group chat, where you could argue there is a degree of 'hiddenness' about it. On timelines though, its an open book and from my point of view I wouldn't put anything online anyway, that I wasn't prepared to discuss with them face to face or with their parents for that matter.

I dare say, any of them delving into my timeline would be bored stiff by all the dull politics stuff and intemperate rants about people eating crisps too noisily.

Thanks
    What we did with our ESU was to set up a "leaders" account on FB that is only used for posting to our closed group. If we have to "friend" an explorer to add them to the group that account is used not our own personal ones. That way Scouting & Private are kept separate. It also helps since a couple of Leaders were/are in schools and school policies forbid them from friending YP at their school even though they are also explorers.

If needed we can post to the group as ourselves but the YP don't see our news feed posts as they aren't friends with us.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    What we did with our ESU was to set up a "leaders" account on FB that is only used for posting to our closed group. If we have to "friend" an explorer to add them to the group that account is used not our own personal ones. That way Scouting & Private are kept separate. It also helps since a couple of Leaders were/are in schools and school policies forbid them from friending YP at their school even though they are also explorers.
    You don't need to friend anyone in any form to add them to a closed group. You give them the URL of the group and they go there and click join, then you approve them if they should be allowed in.

It is a breach of FB T&C to have (a) more than one account, or (b) an account that is not in your real name, and it is completely unnecessary. Eventually you'll find it'll be blocked and you'll be up the proverbial without a paddle.

You can avoid the issue of YP trying to "friend" you (other than just pressing decline) by setting your privacy settings to only allow friends of friends to friend you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post

If needed we can post to the group as ourselves but the YP don't see our news feed posts as they aren't friends with us.
    Aye.

That's probably a better idea.

For us, certainly with Explorers, we're a small community, 90% of parents are involved with Scouts (either as leaders or on the committee), some of them are also friends on Fb or at the very least are friends with the kids (or other leaders) - they have full access to everything the young people are seeing/saying.

Except the group chat I suppose... Which is why I use it sparingly. Interestingly (or not), I understand the Explorers have their own group chat that leaders do not see... Its often mentioned but never in any detail.

I don't really want to know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    It is a breach of FB T&C to have (a) more than one account, or (b) an account that is not in your real name, and it is completely unnecessary. Eventually you'll find it'll be blocked and you'll be up the proverbial without a paddle.
    I have managed 5 years so far without facebook picking up on it, as I say I do have my own account as admin on the Group as well sas our other AESL so we don't risk losing control of the group. I just prefer that firewall between my own account and our Scouting account because its very hard to know how facebook links things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Except the group chat I suppose... Which is why I use it sparingly. Interestingly (or not), I understand the Explorers have their own group chat that leaders do not see... Its often mentioned but never in any detail.

I don't really want to know.
    Ours also do and I REALLY do not want to know what is said in there or ever have access to it lol

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We use a closed group for announcements, updates and general information. I won't let young people join until they have reached the age when Facebook's minimum age (which I think is 13). I am in the process of making a page which I aim to use as a companion to our website. Unfortunately our main site is mainly an information portal and isn't updated with what we have been doing on a regular basis. I see a Facebook page of being something I can keep more up to date and relevant.

As for friending young people its a big no even when they try. I just explain nicely that;s a bit weird!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    To be honest, facebook seems to be fading as a social network amongst da yoof.
    Too true. That's why one of my (9yo) Cubs wants me to get WhatsApp so we can talk at night. Facebook is for grannies.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I have no intention of getting WhatsApp.)
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Too true. That's why one of my (9yo) Cubs wants me to get WhatsApp so we can talk at night. Facebook is for grannies.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I have no intention of getting WhatsApp.)
    I do have Whatsapp (no kids on it, though) - but I really don't like it, it is the only communication method that is bound to one device (the phone) when all the others will work across different devices - even phone calls and texts as I have a Mac and an iPhone. You can bind it through the Web but it's clunky and you have to log it on each time.

Thanks
    Our Scouts have a parent page which is great for 'Does anyone know where we are meeting tonight' and 'Little Chardonnay needs a lift is anyone able to offer'.

I had a friend request from a 7 year old Beaver earlier this year! I think not. Quick email to Mum on that one.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    It would help if facebook allowed pages to post in groups
    It seems this is a *very* recent addition! You have to edit the page so it has a "groups" tab, then add the group, which adds the page as an admin of the group.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PeterSheppard For This Useful Post:

Puzzledbyadream (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    It seems this is a *very* recent addition! You have to edit the page so it has a "groups" tab, then add the group, which adds the page as an admin of the group.
    Oooo will go have a look

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    Ok I have checked it our and Pages setting up or managing exisitng Groups is a total game changer. Really no need to have fake facebook accounts as now pages can do everything you would want an account to do and can be managed from your own personal facebook account Instructions on how to set up are at https://www.socialprogress.co.uk/fac...cebook-groups/

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

dralphs (19-06-2017),Neil Williams (18-06-2017),sjl14 (18-06-2017)