Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Befriending on facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 601 Posts

Befriending on facebook

What does befriending someone on facebook mean ?

and

What are the implications and best practice ?

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    What does befriending someone on facebook mean ?

and

What are the implications and best practice ?
    If you are friends on Facebook you are linked. They can see what you post and vice versa (unless you start playing with security settings, which if you're asking this, you probably won't).

Best practice is not to with YP. I don't with current work colleagues.

Teachers and police officers are advised to have fake names to make them less searchable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

Tony Ransley (15-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    If you are friends on Facebook you are linked. They can see what you post and vice versa (unless you start playing with security settings, which if you're asking this, you probably won't).

Best practice is not to with YP. I don't with current work colleagues.

Teachers and police officers are advised to have fake names to make them less searchable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And it's just called friending. Also, any of your friends may see any posts including pictures that people tag you in.

I think there's a way of assigning different people to different categories. Not sure what that means in terms of visibility of what different groups see.

Also, it's supposed to be aged 13 or 14+ or maybe 12.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    I for one do not have any Explorers or other youth members as my facebook friends, that way I do not have to worry about what they can and can not see on my account and what posts I like on facebook etc. I do add some former Explorers as friends so I can keep in touch with them.

We do have a seperate facebook account for the unit which has them as friends as we found this necessary in order to add Explorers to our Unit's Secret Facebook Group, we use this account to post Explorer realted stuff on the group. I have this account set to unfollow the Explorers on facebook so I do not see what they post elsewhere on facebook. I do have my personal facebook account as an admin on the group as well just to prevent us losing control of the group if facebook ever kicks the unit account off facebook for not being a real person.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    As a rule of thumb I don't befriend children on Facebook regardless of their age or how well I know them. Doing otherwise opens up the potential for a whole host of problems.

I am also a Teaching Assistant too.
    Last edited by Jamieson90; 15-06-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    Proud Beaver Scout Leader of a bunch of ankle biters.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamieson90 For This Useful Post:

Rikki01 (15-06-2017)

Thanks
    While you can tinker with the limited profile settings its best to think very hard before freinding any YP as it opens the possibility for one to one messaging

Personally it's not worth the bother, it's abosolutly fine to have a public page or private group on Facebook that YP can like or join but I would not accept individual freind requests from YP to your account

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    We do have a seperate facebook account for the unit which has them as friends as we found this necessary in order to add Explorers to our Unit's Secret Facebook Group, we use this account to post Explorer realted stuff on the group. I have this account set to unfollow the Explorers on facebook so I do not see what they post elsewhere on facebook. I do have my personal facebook account as an admin on the group as well just to prevent us losing control of the group if facebook ever kicks the unit account off facebook for not being a real person.
    TBH I'd just use a closed group then there's no need to breach FB T&Cs in that way.

Thanks
    It would help if facebook allowed pages to post in groups

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I think it is the consensus to not link with any YP on any social media platform. To be frank I can think of no reason why any adult in Scouting would want or need to. As a parent I would find it very odd if my boy's karate instructor added him on Facebook for example.

Thanks
    This may help and seems to be full of good advice.

http://members.scouts.org.uk/factsheets/FS103011.pdf

Thanks
    Some good advice here and in the fact sheet.

A lot of people talk about using closed groups on Facebook. What is the general consensus between these and public pages? I assume the latter is really just the same as having a website? So what is best practice There?
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post

A lot of people talk about using closed groups on Facebook. What is the general consensus between these and public pages? I assume the latter is really just the same as having a website? So what is best practice There?
    They have totally different purposes. You have a closed group for internal discussion and a public page for promotional purposes - the latter is a bit like a website.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

big chris (16-06-2017),shiftypete (16-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post

I think good practice is to have more than one DBS cleared Scout Association member in the group also.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    They have totally different purposes. You have a closed group for internal discussion and a public page for promotional purposes - the latter is a bit like a website.
    Indeed, and that's what we use our page for, in addition to our website. We tend to put a summary of the post on Facebook, with a link to a full blog style post on our website.

We have a private group set up, but it is not used nor promoted at the moment. Might be missing a trick there though, so its perhaps worth discussing. It would be amazing if we could stimulate discussion among Parents and Leaders this way, but we have not yet been able to do so.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 923 Posts
    To be honest, facebook seems to be fading as a social network amongst da yoof. We do have a closed facebook page for our district explorers, and one unit uses it as their main communication method, so many parents and explorers have signed up to it. To be honest though, we don't manage the group, so when someone leaves, we don't kick them out the facebook group, maybe we should, but that's another thing to add to the list.

Personally, I think the safeguarding paranoia is in full effect with TSAs advice on social networks. If I were to message one of my explorers, or they message me, there's a trail of exactly what was said. And friends on facebook doesn't mean friends in real life, most of the kids have their parents and aunties and uncles as "friends", it's almost just people that you've met that you want to stay in touch with.

I can understand why teachers and policemen have fake names and never friend their pupils, but we are in a different situation.

Also, you can message, via facebook, anyone else on facebook, without being friends with them. I messaged one of my explorers the other day...
    what's your shoe size?
    thanks

No, I didn't include a parent or other leader in the conversation. Please don't report me to the safeguarding team.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast