Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to the 70s ?

Thanks

Back to the 70s ?

I'm not sure why but things keep reminding me of the 1970s (during which I was at school). The latest thing I thought of was the Woolworth's fire in Manchester. There is also things like: negotiations with the EU, lots of people in work (up to the mid 70s), protest marches, strikes, terrorism. Does anybody else feel the same or am I just having some sort of age thing?! I guess I'm wondering if what we have to look forward to next is high unemployment and things like the miner's strike from the 1980s.
    Last edited by Kev; 18-06-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks
    If I see anyone in flares, the return of vinyl sofas, and bright orange wallpaper, then the 70s are truly back

Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 612 Posts
    I think what has happened is that after the 70s Britain gradually got tired of tearing itself apart instead of making progress, so swung first to the right then when that had run its course settled for consensual politics.

After a period of relative stability the usual failures of fallible politicians triggered a protest vote during the referendum and reinstated a period of chaos.

Within scouting the white house has severed links with the grassroots movement and reverted to treating us like mushrooms so back to the 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s and 00s really.
    Last edited by Tony Ransley; 18-06-2017 at 10:36 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Ransley For This Useful Post:

GScrimgeour (20-06-2017)

Thanks
    I don't remember the 70's, I remember the 80's though... Hard to make a comparison, mostly due to the difference technology makes, but in terms of humility and how government regards the people it's supposed to serve, we do appear to be going backwards, and at an alarming rate...

Thanks
    Interesting that in 1974 a Tory government called a snap general election that it didn't need to and ended up with less seats. That time Ted Heath had to resign and Labour's Harold Wilson took over. There was then a second general election later in the same year where Labour increased their majority.

Thanks
    Things are always repeated in about forty year cycles, as the grown-ups who experienced them die or just become too old.

So, the last people to live under a 'proper' Labour government are now in their late sixties or early seventies, and once again people think, "Oh, maybe we should give this nationalisation thing a go. Makes sense to me." Anyone who travelled by British Rail, or drove a British Leyland car, or had to put up with hosepipe bans when the nationalised water companies failed to provide enough water, or lived through the power cuts when the miners thought they could rule the country, is derided as damaging the future of our young people. Experience becomes a qualification for NOT voting.

I sometimes think that the real function of the Conservative party is to fix the mess that Labour leave behind.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecamping View Post
    had to put up with hosepipe bans when the nationalised water companies failed to provide enough water
    There never were nationalised water companies, there were local water authorities run by local councils who had built all the dams and reservoirs and sewage works etc using local rates or water charges to pay for them (go have a look at a dam most of them have a plaque or engraved stone which says who built and/or paid for the dam). These were combined into Regional Water Authorities in 1974 and then in 1989 Thatcher decided that the National Government owned these regional water authorities and could sell off the water supply and sewerage parts of them and the national goverment could pocket the proceeds despite the fact the the national government had not build or paid for hardly any of the water infrastructure in England and Wales (Keilder was the only major piece of infrastructure paid for by national government that I am aware of).

Oh and by the way the Water Companies still do not actually have a statutory duty to supply people with drinking water and since privatisation not a single large-scale dam and reservoir has been built in England or Wales so there has been no increase in the capacity of water available for supply.

Yorkshire Water was sold for a pittance given the huge tracts of land it owns and manages, I beleive they sold the land the water filtration works just down the road from us used to be on for more than the whole company was privitised for (admitedly with about a 20 year time gap)
    Last edited by shiftypete; 19-06-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

johnsk7576 (21-06-2017)

Thanks
    Things are always repeated in about forty year cycles, as the grown-ups who experienced them die or just become too old.

So, the last people to live under a 'proper' Labour government are now in their late sixties or early seventies, and once again people think, "Oh, maybe we should give this nationalisation thing a go. Makes sense to me." Anyone who travelled by British Rail, or drove a British Leyland car, or had to put up with hosepipe bans when the nationalised water companies failed to provide enough water, or lived through the power cuts when the miners thought they could rule the country, is derided as damaging the future of our young people. Experience becomes a qualification for NOT voting.

I sometimes think that the real function of the Conservative party is to fix the mess that Labour leave behind.
    If indeed that where true - I think they have their own mess to clear up first or are you saying their doing a good job?
    Roger Woods
    Cub Scout Leader, Pegasus Pack,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton
    www.sawley-scouts.org.uk

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    Radio amateur (G8XAN)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to roger-uk For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    the last people to live under a 'proper' Labour government are now in their late sixties or early seventies
    So you are saying the last 'proper' labour prime minister was Clement Attlee?

- - - Updated - - -

maybe we should give this nationalisation thing a go.
    Well it saved Rolls Royce aero engines. Wasn't that a Tory government?

Thanks

It seems to me, the so-called main parties muck things up equally, just in slightly different ways.

Its less cyclical and more yo-yo.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    There never were nationalised water companies, there were local water authorities run by local councils who had built all the dams and reservoirs and sewage works etc using local rates or water charges to pay for them (go have a look at a dam most of them have a plaque or engraved stone which says who built and/or paid for the dam). These were combined into Regional Water Authorities in 1974 and then in 1989 Thatcher decided that the National Government owned these regional water authorities and could sell off the water supply and sewerage parts of them and the national goverment could pocket the proceeds despite the fact the the national government had not build or paid for hardly any of the water infrastructure in England and Wales (Keilder was the only major piece of infrastructure paid for by national government that I am aware of).

Oh and by the way the Water Companies still do not actually have a statutory duty to supply people with drinking water and since privatisation not a single large-scale dam and reservoir has been built in England or Wales so there has been no increase in the capacity of water available for supply.

Yorkshire Water was sold for a pittance given the huge tracts of land it owns and manages, I beleive they sold the land the water filtration works just down the road from us used to be on for more than the whole company was privitised for (admitedly with about a 20 year time gap)
    Better still, go and look at Scar House dam at the head of Nidderdale. Just look from as many angles as you can.

I defy anyone not to be moved and inspired by that masterpiece of Victorian construction.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (20-06-2017)

Thanks
    Weather not seen since 1976.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    Better still, go and look at Scar House dam at the head of Nidderdale. Just look from as many angles as you can.

I defy anyone not to be moved and inspired by that masterpiece of Victorian construction.
    You wouldn't get planning permission for it, these days.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

Thanks
    Queen arrives to give speech by car - first time since 1974.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,649 Times in 957 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Queen arrives to give speech by car - first time since 1974.
    How does she normally get there? Bus? Walk? It's a fair old trek for an old'un.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast