Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explorers Turning 18

Thanks

Explorers Turning 18

I believe the rule says that explorers must leave on their 18th birthday but I get the impression that ESUs turn a blind eye to this - after all the yp are still together at school. How does this get handled in the real world? For example, what happens where an explorer turns 18 just before an explorer camp he/she is booked on to? I'm not after a statement of the rules but a discussion on the way ESUs actually handle this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 923 Posts
    They are Network.

So the camp is now a joint Explorer/Network camp.

Former Explorers hanging around once they reach 18 are now Network taking part in linking activities.

And yes, we do have a local Network, and yes, I do encourage mine to go to that, but sometimes they are bad pennies, what can you do?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    the camp is now a joint Explorer/Network camp.
    OK so do these network people hanging around tend to get DBS checked for a joint camp?

Thanks
    They become Network, and if they want to hang around they come across the the dark side and help run the meetings and activities to develop leadership skills.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Big George For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (19-06-2017)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    ... what happens where an explorer turns 18 just before an explorer camp he/she is booked on to? I'm not after a statement of the rules but a discussion on the way ESUs actually handle this.
    Birthdays generally don't come as a surprise Both the individual and ESL would know that the individual would not be an Explorer Scout for the camp, so not sure why they'd be booked to attend. As IanW remarked, an alternative is for a joint ES/SN camp where the newly aged 18 person can attend (without any DBSing) as a member of the Scout Network.

OK so do these network people hanging around tend to get DBS checked for a joint camp?
    If they're attending the camp as a participant then they would not need a DBS.

Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    If they're attending the camp as a participant then they would not need a DBS.
    Paul
    What he said. It is not legal to DBS a Network member who is just a participant in a camp. Anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong. I checked direct with Wayne at Gilwell24 one year. Straight to the top, no messing.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Thanked 2,865 Times in 1,195 Posts
    we sling them out on the day they turn 18 and they may not attend any more meetings

if they have done the whole 3 or so years, they get a small memento from us but they are out and gone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    we sling them out on the day they turn 18 and they may not attend any more meetings

if they have done the whole 3 or so years, they get a small memento from us but they are out and gone
    You meanie.

But seriously...your massive one district to rule them all, you must have a viable Network no?

Actually, in some instances, generally birthdays earlier in the school year, we do kick them out on or near their birthdays, usually. It's on a case by case basis. For some, it's time to move on, or out, for others, it's a pleasure having them down every week. You do need to move them on generally, as it can put off the 13/14 year olds if Explorers is actually lots of "big kids" that have beards and drive cars.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    What he said. It is not legal to DBS a Network member who is just a participant in a camp. Anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong. I checked direct with Wayne at Gilwell24 one year. Straight to the top, no messing.

Ian
    I totally get that. What I do not understand is why family camps are different. The parents are there as participants. They do not have responsibility for kids who are not their own. So why are we DBSing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    I totally get that. What I do not understand is why family camps are different. The parents are there as participants. They do not have responsibility for kids who are not their own. So why are we DBSing them?
    Because logic doesn't apply to safeguarding.
    Ian Wilkins

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (19-06-2017),claire.shadbolt (19-06-2017),khoomei (19-06-2017),PaulArthurs (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Back in 2009 I turned 18 in July and was booked to go on our district trip up to Lochearnhead in August. The DC decided I was to sleep in with the Explorers (on dodgy ground there now I look at it) and join them for the activities. I hated this as I had never been an explorer (I was a young leader), and would much rather have gone as a leader. Now I look back at it though, we'd paid for me to go as a young person so that was how it was meant to be. I got invested into Network on the last day and then moved to uni a couple of weeks later, never to see that network again.

So I guess that story goes to show that just-turned 18 year olds should attend a camp if they've paid to attend, but probably separate accommodation is required.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

Thanks
    They leave on their 18th birthday. They sometimes visit our meetings to let us know what they are up to, but they do not have regular or unsupervised access to the Explorers.

Thanks
    Ours join Network and then are welcome to come back to Explorers, providing they abide by Explorer rules and help to run the programme.
    Our meetings are open to all Network joining us should they wish to do so, not just those who were our Explorers. It's a linking activity and helps with retention in Network.

Occasionally, they won't want to do what the Explorers are doing and will organise their own thing, such as a BBQ at someone's house.

It's all still quite new for us as we haven't really had many turn 18 until this year, being a 4 year old Unit. This year we've had over 50% turn 18.

Recently, some of the 18 year olds organised a pioneering session for the Explorers and brought a harness down to do some prussiking (yes, he has a permit).
    We've also had a session on communication, a quiz and a few other activities.
    Last edited by Testarossa; 19-06-2017 at 12:54 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Testarossa For This Useful Post:

ianw (19-06-2017),nevynxxx (19-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,046 Posts
    I assume you are also giving them OH roles for DBS?

Thanks
    Oh, and just in case, if they are over 18 and the camp you've booked on to is Gilwell24, they will get an adult lanyard and be prevented from doing some/many of the activities. It happened to us once when we weren't paying attention, and while they still had a good time...
    Ian Wilkins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast