Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venting

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Absolutely, as was clear! I think the irritation is for a school group to come not just to anscout camp but in fact national HQ and international spiritual home and to give it that attitude to scouts camping there.
    As annoying to us as that is, how much of that is the teacher likely to know?

Yeah, he'll know it's a scout campsite, but if he doesn't expect scouts to be unsupervised then that wont matter. The significance of Gillwell probably passes him right by.... I have no sympathy to his reaction, to either your scouts, or you, but I can see how we would get there.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Invariably i've found the best thing to do when dealing with problem groups is to have a chat with the site manager / duty warden. Ultimately they have the useful tool of being able to ask a group to leave / barring them from returning.

With your teacher in question, I would politely have advised him that he is not responsible for our kids, that scouting's rules are very different to school rules, and that if he has a concern he is welcome to contact my DC and given him an email address.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Schools are as unlikely to have supervision as anyone else. I've heard a few horror stories of unsupervised activities from school trips, that range from tying bedsheets together to get out of a second floor dorm, suspending PITA kid out of an upstairs window by his ankles, under age drinking and much more. I also think that sometimes our "freedom" is often a lack of supervision whilst the adults sup around the campfire. I have stopped Scouts playing withy axes wilstb their leaders sat 25 yards away having a brew ignoring them. I have stopped Scouts from vandalising a toilet block. I have stopped Scouts from setting a field on fire through their lack of skills. In ever case, I was the bad one for intervening. Last year we were camping next to a DoE group on a mass expedition. Their language was foul and the topics inappropriate. Their teachers ignored them. i asked them to tone it down because we had younger children with us and in earshot. They initially calmed down, but as soon as they thought I was out of earshot they started again. This time I went back and bollocked them till their teachers came across all apologetic and moved them. So, let's not cast too many stones at the DoE groups, we can be just as ignorant in parts. They can be decent in parts.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Epona (27-06-2017)

Thanks
    We were left unsupervised an awful lot on our Duke of Edinburgh trips, we had something of a maverick DofE co-ordinator though. Our silver practice expedition was wild camping at Great Moss and climbing Scafell Pike, which ironically was much harder than our actual expedition in the Peak District.

I did get chucked off Gold though. Always makes me wish I'd gone for my Queen's Scout. Alas, too old now.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzledbyadream View Post
    Our silver practice expedition was wild camping at Great Moss and climbing Scafell Pike, which ironically was much harder than our actual expedition in the Peak District.
    I wouldn't call that ironic, I'd call that good planning. Train hard, race easy.... that's what they say.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    I wouldn't call that ironic, I'd call that good planning. Train hard, race easy.... that's what they say.
    Indeed. The practice Expedition we did with our scouts for the expedition challenge was harder than the real thing will be.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

SL 1st High Lane Scouts JeanieJ's Avatar
    Thanks
    We supervised one of our Explorer DofE groups last year. We arrived at the campsite before everyone else and set up our Vango dining shelter and tents at the top of a gently sloping field and sat back in our camp chairs in our identical black activity hoodies and waited. Our group arrived and naturally set up camp on the far side of the field. We started to make our tea and let them get on with it. At that point, several minibuses from a school close to us arrived. The teachers started the tortuous job of putting up their own tents. As their groups straggled in, they turned the field into a mini tented village. The teachers were buzzing about like little helicopters, getting more and more stressed as they interfered with what their groups were doing. We ate our tea and sat back again, ignoring the increasingly suspicious glances from teachers and students alike. Eventually, our ESL went to the loo and came back laughing his head off. While he'd been sitting in state, he overheard a conversation between a teacher and some students where they had all convinced themselves that we were some kind of Uber DofE Super-Assessors, there to pass judgement on the DofE Groups, teachers, supervisors and assessors alike. We waited for a long time before we disabused them of this idea and they initially wouldn't believe us because we weren't taking any notice of our Explorers!!! So all you really need, is identical black hoodies and a dining shelter and you could be the DofE Police............

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeanieJ For This Useful Post:

GScrimgeour (30-06-2017),ianw (30-06-2017),Magician (30-06-2017),nevynxxx (30-06-2017)