Thread: A cautionary tale

Thanks

A cautionary tale

A cautionary tale for anyone off on an international this summer.....

In 11 days time by gang of monsters jet off to Canada.... ooh exciting! For them anyway. I'm not going. I'm paper work monkey on this jaunt.

And on that note..... this morning I've done a check through of names on the airline confirmation and the insurance schedule from Unity.

The airline had one name spelt wrong by one letter compared to the passport. I phoned up to have it corrected and was told that yes, this would have been a problem at the airport and yes, we would have found ourselves buying him a new ticket. Trans atlantic. First weekend of the school holidays. Turn up and go. I wince at what that would have cost!

Unity - no less than 5 incorrect names. Again, phoned up, got it changed and was again told that yes, should little smiffy have found him or herself with a serious injury and needing repatriating, (or, as more likely to be honest) at the emergency dentist in Toronto with a lot of pain this would have been a major issue if his or her name was wrong on the schedule.

So do a double check!

Thanks
    and triple check - presume you have done a passport cheque and the electronic visa do das
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    I think if I were organising an international I would want passport photocopies at the time of parents booking so that I could ensure everything was based on names as they appear on passports.

We have one Scout who we have been misspelling the full first name of since she joined Cubs... she's now a PL and we only found out when she complained that a certificate at an event was incorrect. In day to day use we use a shortened version of her name, and this is also what mum had used on the annual update forms.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

4. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    I think if I were organising an international I would want passport photocopies at the time of parents booking so that I could ensure everything was based on names as they appear on passports.

We have one Scout who we have been misspelling the full first name of since she joined Cubs... she's now a PL and we only found out when she complained that a certificate at an event was incorrect. In day to day use we use a shortened version of her name, and this is also what mum had used on the annual update forms.
    Yup, we have photocopies of them all. Mainly because it helps speed up the replacement process if one goes missing! But they are also there for a cross check.

I will do a triple check in a day or two.

And yes, ETAs all done already!

Thanks
    Photocopies also useful to make sure they have an in date passport

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon.md For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Passports for checking details six months in advance of trip. Photocopy them and in Europe their EHIC and we retain the photocopies. On the trip we have a folder per vehicle with health forms, Passport copy and EHIC copy. We keep the Passports and EHIC in a separate folder.

If travelling to USA/ Canada etc, would request copy of ECSTA/ ESTA or other Visa required.

Never leave these thing to the last minute ( Month) . I did have someone hand me a passport that, whilst in date at the time of booking, would have been out of date at the point of departure. Not a problem getting out of the country, but fun and gamesgetting back in if we had not spotted it.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,433 Posts
    Based on experience: make sure you have expression permission for the event leader to fly internationally with each child.

I had a bit if a to-do with german passport control

i had medical forms, insurance forms, permission to do this, that and the other but Herman decided that he really wanted to see a permission for me to take one child in particular into the country... (i didn;t point out that he had already let 40 of them through without asking for that permission form)

We were in full uniform, we had a file with a dozen sheets of paper per child etc etc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Based on experience: make sure you have expression permission for the event leader to fly internationally with each child.

I had a bit if a to-do with german passport control

i had medical forms, insurance forms, permission to do this, that and the other but Herman decided that he really wanted to see a permission for me to take one child in particular into the country... (i didn;t point out that he had already let 40 of them through without asking for that permission form)

We were in full uniform, we had a file with a dozen sheets of paper per child etc etc
    We had the opposite - we had a bit of a 'to-do' with UK Border when bringing 10 girls back from India! (All with British passports!)
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!