Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive Progress

Thanks

Positive Progress

Some of you may remember that we have a YL in our Colony who, while invested and completed module A, was not willing to attend a regular ESU for reasons of shyness and social anxiety. For those that don't, she comes because she has to transport her brother, and we were having problems with her attitude and behaviour.

Well, I have to say that things are making real progress. She now attends leader meetings and makes some really great contributions, and we support each other in making them a reality. Its not all plain sailing, but its positive.

The biggest step has just come though, we finally persuaded her to give Explorers a try. She went for the first time last night, very nervous because she didn't know anybody, and absolutely loved it and cant wait for the next meeting and actually to check out the other unit that is handy for her (yes, I have told her she can only join one)!!!

I think a quick text thanking the ESL might be in order!!!

We are not sure what will happen with regard to her as a YL, as her brother is about to swim up to Cubs and they already have several YLs there, but it doesn't matter. I have told her that she will always be welcome at the Colony, but that I want her to think about every opportunity that Explorers will offer her (including D of E).

I think we may have turned another corner in this, and frankly I am proud of her!!

Anyone else got any positive stories to share to brighten up a dull Thursday???
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

ianw (13-07-2017),tonybaulch (14-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,464 Posts
    On a similar tip, we had a lass in tears of anxiety at the thought of being in the minibus to G24, I know, but my driving ain't *that* bad. Dad even promised to drive behind the buses for a while. But we got her on, we got her there, okay, with more stops than usual. We had tears before the journey back, but again we managed to talk her onto the bus, and she was anxious for a while but chilled out soon enough. Spoke to her last night and she seemed much happier, knowing she can do it.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    She went for the first time last night, very nervous because she didn't know anybody, and absolutely loved it and cant wait for the next meeting and actually to check out the other unit that is handy for her (yes, I have told her she can only join one)!!!
    Although she can only be a member of one unit (and pay one lot of subs/membership fee), she should be able to go along to any other unit in the district whenever she likes or at least that's how it used to work...
    James

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhhjh View Post
    Although she can only be a member of one unit (and pay one lot of subs/membership fee), she should be able to go along to any other unit in the district whenever she likes or at least that's how it used to work...
    an explorer scout can be a member of as many units as they like! (just as a scout can be a member of as many troops as they like!) they would need to pay the local subscription levied for each of the units. if the units are all in one district then they are required to pay just one capitation levy (and any county capitation levy that is due). the only exception to having to pay a sub to all units that they attend would be where the district provision decides they, not individual units, set the sub rate and have this cover the whole district as if all units were one.

you can only attend another unit in the district if:

1. that unit invites you to attend; or,

2. the district provision is structured as one unit meeting as a number of satellites (of the one unit)

the district next to where I live used to be structured in the middle of these two! they had 3 units, iirc, and an ability for any explorer to attend any unit activity or meeting, i.e. all members where listed together under one provision and the units were effectively satellites but operated independently to some extent, except when they operated as a district.

not a problem having satellite units - necessary in some places - but one needs to keep an eye on fairness. if someone is attending 2 or 3 units but only paying one lot of unit subs they are effectively being subsidised by other explorers who pay the same subs but only attend one unit.

the DESC and ESLs of the provision should have a membership policy on such matters. most don't.

TM
    going...going...still here...just

6. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (13-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    the DESC and ESLs of the provision should have a membership policy on such matters. most don't.
    It's not written down, but if an explorer fancies going along to another unit in our district, life's too short to worry about one more head in the head count. Another reason why Explorer scouting in my district is a positive thing (to stick to the point of this thread)
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    It's not written down,
    didn't say one had to be written down, but a policy may be needed.

but if an explorer fancies going along to another unit in our district, life's too short to worry about one more head in the head count.
    I agree and in the vast majority of cases it really make little difference if any because most explorers pick one unit and nearly all the time attend that unit and its activities as well as district-wide explorer activities.

however, there are times when an unchecked free-for-all on attending units could pose problems, such as: where resources need to be bought in for an activity - a cosy night cooking a dozen burgers turning into needing 5 bonfires cooking nearly 50 or 60 (a little exaggeration I know but you catch my drift); where numbers on an activity determine the safe level of adult supervision; or where the facilities are not suitable for increased numbers.

another reason why Explorer scouting in my district is a positive thing (to stick to the point of this thread)
    wasn't suggesting anything negative! however, membership policies do need some thought especially for explorers. an open doors policy across all units can be difficult to manage, especially where programmes and costs differ between units.

when I have seen this happen the leaders have levied subs on attendance at an activity. while this ensures explorers get what they pay for it doesn't help leaders who can't plan in advance and are left to deal with a pocketful of small change. yuck.

TM
    going...going...still here...just

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    <snip>
    Disclaimer alert! I was an Explorer Scout in lakes_stu's district. What I described in my post is how it works there (unless it has changed recently as I said).

The Explorer provision in the district follows the "ideal" POR model in that it is entirely district based. Explorers may choose one unit as their "home" unit (for want of a better word) to become a member of to whom they pay subsriptions (which in turn covers capitation).

Once they become a member of unit (as opposed to, say an Explorer Scout who is solely a Young Leader) they have the right to attend any other unit's meetings and events (most of which are open to all Explorers in the distirct anyway).

As I say this was certainly the case when I was an Explorer in that district (I'm not saying it's the same everywhere) and was still so the last time I checked.
    James

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

lakes_stu (13-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,624 Posts
    This is how it works in MK as well.

Thanks
    Disclaimer alert! I was an Explorer Scout in lakes_stu's district. What I described in my post is how it works there (unless it has changed recently as I said).

The Explorer provision in the district follows the "ideal" POR model in that it is entirely district based. Explorers may choose one unit as their "home" unit (for want of a better word) to become a member of to whom they pay subsriptions (which in turn covers capitation).

Once they become a member of unit (as opposed to, say an Explorer Scout who is solely a Young Leader) they have the right to attend any other unit's meetings and events (most of which are open to all Explorers in the distirct anyway).

As I say this was certainly the case when I was an Explorer in that district (I'm not saying it's the same everywhere) and was still so the last time I checked.
    Thanks James, as an ABSL I genuinely have very little idea about these things! I guess that's why all Explorers wear district neckers??

Anyway, it's all good
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    I guess that's why all Explorers wear district neckers??
    That's exactly it.

When I first became an Explorer the neckers were a disgusting lime green sort of colour. They were very unpopular to the district team/commissioner asked us what we would prefer.

After much debate and voting it turned out flourescent pink with a reflective silver border was the runaway favourite. This was passed on to then DC who refused and mandated we wear district team neckers instead. We did petition against the ruling (something along the lines of subverting a democratic process) the results of which are now clear to see...
    James

Thanks
    That's exactly it.

When I first became an Explorer the neckers were a disgusting lime green sort of colour. They were very unpopular to the district team/commissioner asked us what we would prefer.

After much debate and voting it turned out flourescent pink with a reflective silver border was the runaway favourite. This was passed on to then DC who refused and mandated we wear district team neckers instead. We did petition against the ruling (something along the lines of subverting a democratic process) the results of which are now clear to see...
    Youth shaped Hey
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 982 Posts
    No that is how some people misinterpreted the set up of Explorers. If she wants to attend more than one Unit then she is free to do so but with the Unit Leaders permission and possibly with paying additional fees to cover the costs of her being there.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    No that is how some people misinterpreted the set up of Explorers. If she wants to attend more than one Unit then she is free to do so but with the Unit Leaders permission and possibly with paying additional fees to cover the costs of her being there.
    Pete, see my post #7. I was referring to lakes_stu's district in particular.
    James

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 982 Posts
    The Explorer provision in the district follows the "ideal" POR model in that it is entirely district based.
    There is no 'ideal' POR model for Explorers, there is flexibility to allow the best solution for each Dsitrict to tbe used but ALL Explorer Units are District Units (or at least should be) some are partnered with a Scout Group or Groups and some are not. I Scout in the neighbouring District and we have the largest number of Explorers in our Scout County in our District and ALL of the Units (there are 8!) in our District are partnered with a Group or Groups.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 13-07-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    There is no 'ideal' POR model for Explorers, there is flexibility to allow the best solution for each Dsitrict to tbe used but ALL Explorer Units are District Units (or at least should be) some are partnered with a Scout Group or Groups and some are not. I Scout in the neighbouring District (in the next Scout County as well) and we have the largest number of Explorers in our Scout County in our District and ALL of the Units (there are 8!) in our District are partnered with a Group or Groups.
    Hence my "" around ideal. I know there's no ideal when it comes to POR, but you do hear of certain districts/groups who seem to try and treat ESUs as a group provision similar to VSUs and the point I was trying to (badly) make was that the ESUs in this particular district were not of that ilk.

Also, unless his group has moved into a different district, you scout in the same county as lakes_stu, not the neighbouring one
    James