This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Some DCs seem to forget that their role is to support Scouting in their District. Their role is not to tell Trustees of charities how to manage their premises or their charity.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    Some DCs seem to forget that their role is to support Scouting in their District. Their role is not to tell Trustees of charities how to manage their premises or their charity.

Paul

Actually, it is a role of the District to ensure that the Groups in the District meet their legal/ financial obligations and that they are run in accordance with POR/ the law of the land. So, technically, the DC/ DE CAN get involoved at Group level if they believe there is a problem. In fact, it is their duty to do so.

The Group offering a glass of wine at its AGM may or may not fall into their remit. I suspect that since, in theory, the AGM is only open to adults, the alcohol issue should not be a problem.

We now have our AGM at a local Working Mens' Club - the meeting is open to all, parents and youth members. Works for us. ( And yes, it breaches Navigators guidelines).
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,725 Times in 1,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    n theory, the AGM is only open to adults, the alcohol issue should not be a problem.
    AGM of scout group = group council

group council explicity includes Patrol Leaders and they should be invited

4. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (17-07-2017)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Actually, it is a role of the District to ensure that the Groups in the District meet their legal/ financial obligations and that they are run in accordance with POR/ the law of the land. So, technically, the DC/ DE CAN get involoved at Group level if they believe there is a problem. In fact, it is their duty to do so.
    But District's should not be setting local policy that restricts the ability of the charity to manager their premises or fundraising.

The Group offering a glass of wine at its AGM may or may not fall into their remit. I suspect that since, in theory, the AGM is only open to adults, the alcohol issue should not be a problem.
    Assuming a Scout Group uses POR 3.23 as their constitution, then not all members of the Group Scout Council (i.e. those entitled to attend the Group AGM) are aged 18+; some of them will be Scouts.

We now have our AGM at a local Working Mens' Club - the meeting is open to all, parents and youth members. Works for us. ( And yes, it breaches Navigators guidelines).
    Guidelines are guidelines. Rules is rules.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    But District's should not be setting local policy that restricts the ability of the charity to manager their premises or fundraising.
    They can and should if the avenues used are in breach of POR/ Law - and if the activity were in breach of the rules or were bringing scouting into disrepute then they could get involved. So, that does create a bit of an opportunity for the power crazed DC to intervene.

Assuming a Scout Group uses POR 3.23 as their constitution, then not all members of the Group Scout Council (i.e. those entitled to attend the Group AGM) are aged 18+; some of them will be Scouts.
    Indeed, Patrol Leaders... So, no alcohol then...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Which was shut at Gilwell24. Much to the chagrin of a few leaders no doubt. And some helpers that were booked into the White House hotel only to find said hotel had no bar for the night.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    That was for one event.

Does it remain shut say for winter camp and at ALL other times when there are young people on site?

Just asking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 886 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    That was for one event.

Does it remain shut say for winter camp and at ALL other times when there are young people on site?

Just asking.
    No idea, I suspect not. I guess they figure with that many explorers on site there's be one Smiffy who'll chance their arm.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,275 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    However I have certainly seen people get hammered on camp, just see reunion..... I also know plenty of leaders who have a problem with drink and they don't even recognize it. even those that do think its a great laugh. Half a bottle of scotch in a 2 hour session?
    I cannot see a problem with people getting "hammered" at reunion. We are not there for the YP, and for many leaders the main reason for going to reunion is as a social occasion (the clue is in the name). I suspect that, along with my DC, and the minibus load of others going from district, I will be in the bar from the moment it opens. Indeed, we normally have a beer or cider or two on the campsite in the afternoon before the bar opens (mainly because 7.30pm is quite late for the bar to open at an adult event and its quite nice to have a beer with dinner!).

But, reunion is not a typical camp. We aren't there to be responsible for young people. We are there to meet up with old friends, make new friends, and perhaps learn a few things along the way. There will of course always be those who take it a bit more seriously and book in to as many seminars and training sessions as possible!

There are other camps where alcohol is enjoyed. Our campsite service weekend, for example, includes a BBQ and Campfire for the adults in the evening. With no YP on site i am sure a few beverages will be enjoyed.

At Be Prepared there are no YP on site overnight. Again, a few beverages are enjoyed. The caveat to leaders is that we expect them to be in a fit state for the morning briefing at 8am the next day. If you can drink 5 pints of Thatchers between 5 and 10pm and be sober, awake, and clear headed at 8am then fine.

with Cub and Scout Summer Camps the leaders go down and set up central HQ the day before. We then have a night without the YP (usually with a beer or two - never much more because we are driving first thing next day)

When the YP are on site it is pretty rare for us to have a drink unless we have a very large team - and even then there are plenty of non drinkers.

To answer the OP's question though - as others have said the hiring conditions for your hall are nothing to do with the DC.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    That was for one event.

Just asking.
    The White House bar (and the other bar) were definitely open on Winter Camps 2011 through to 2016 - cannot say for 2017 as I was not there this year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Bartlett View Post
    The White House bar (and the other bar) were definitely open on Winter Camps 2011 through to 2016 - cannot say for 2017 as I was not there this year.
    This year at Wintercamp the bar was closed but there was a huge beer tent round the back of the CIC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345