Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Payments

Thanks

Online Payments

This will be interesting
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

It includes PayPal so could be a start to not having to pay charges for collecting money for events. Presumably it will also filter through to OSM for those who use that.

We watch with interest

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    I think you hope too much.

What this is banning is the practice frequently operated by say travel agents whereby if you pay by credit card they charge you 2% more to cover what the card company will charge them compared to if you use a debit card.

The travel agent will still get stung that 2% but won't then be able to pass it on to consumers.

We as Scout groups would class as businesses so still be subject to the card company fees - we just wouldn't be able to pass it on to parents paying for their kids as an additional specific charge.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    The travel agent will still get stung that 2% but won't then be able to pass it on to consumers.
    They will pass it on! It just becomes an overhead you don't see. Or like many companies do today, you will get a discount for using a different payment method.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    They will pass it on! It just becomes an overhead you don't see. Or like many companies do today, you will get a discount for using a different payment method.
    Yes - sorry wasn't clear - they won't be able to specifically add 2% at the point you offer your credit card.

Funnily enough we've recently stopped adding 2% at work - we've got enough now going through the card machines that the charges have dropped so its no longer worth the aggro of working it out - plus getting paid quickly is better than waiting for a cheque etc. It was something I inherited when I started and had been meaning to bin for some time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    Or like many companies do today, you will get a discount for using a different payment method.
    I expect this too will be banned, as otherwise it's worthless. What will be the case is that for all payment methods the price will be the same.

This may well result in some corner shops stopping taking cards, but other than that is likely to be a benefit.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    I expect this too will be banned, as otherwise it's worthless. What will be the case is that for all payment methods the price will be the same.

This may well result in some corner shops stopping taking cards, but other than that is likely to be a benefit.
    I'm thinking of my Mobile, my gas and electric..... They all give a discount for "using a direct debit".....

99% of what this is aimed at you can't pay any other way than card (Ticket master etc al) but they give a low price up front, and wack a card charge on at checkout....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    I think you hope too much.
    Not neccessarily, for an industry that has been trying to remove cheques for a few years it always struck me as odd it charged for cards. This could be an interesting change.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    As Mang21 said, we're unfortunately not the "consumer" in this. We're the "small business" using the 3rd party payment processing system.

So we'll still have to pay a charge (just as a corner shop has to pay their card processer). We just cant charge the parents extra.

Presumably shops will still be able to have a "minimum" spend before using a card which is what most of the ones round here do rather than charging a processing fee.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Presumably shops will still be able to have a "minimum" spend before using a card which is what most of the ones round here do rather than charging a processing fee.
    Ironically I'd rather pay a fee than be refused use of a card.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Ironically I'd rather pay a fee than be refused use of a card.
    True

Generally if its a shop I can find something else to buy and keep in stock that will make it up to the card amount. One of our local pubs its 5 minimum and I dont think the other has a minimum... its pretty rare for me to be spending less than 5 in the pub anyway. The coffee shop doesnt take card but on the occaisions we forget cash the owner (a cub parent) is quite happy to trust that we'll pay him next time we see him. And although the chip shop only takes cash I try to avoid going in there (nothing to do with being healthy... just not a great fan of their food)
    Last edited by recneps; 19-07-2017 at 01:53 PM.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    Not neccessarily, for an industry that has been trying to remove cheques for a few years it always struck me as odd it charged for cards. This could be an interesting change.
    I think it remains unlikely - the drivers are different to the idea of removing cheques in favour of electronic payments. With the latter banks are trying to get customers to do the manual work of processing cheques themselves by using their own internet systems to send payments directly to the other parties account. The bank therefore makes a saving so it makes sense to charge for cheques but offer faster payments online free.

With cards its a whole lot more complicated - banks are involved, card issuers like VISA or MasterCard are involved, payment systems operators like Worldpay or Global Payments, the consumer credit act requirements that the card issuer refunds the purchaser if the item is faulty.

I can maybe see charges coming down but ultimately there are costs in the system which can't be charged openly to the cardholder so are going to be picked up somewhere down the line.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    Its an EU directive...

Just saying... Like cellphone roaming...

Although anything that curtails the wilder machinations of PayPal, has to be a good thing...

Thanks
    What's wrong with PayPal?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (19-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    It's a ridiculous ruling, so long as companies are literally passing on the cost of the payment processing company then they should be allowed to do so. It's if they add a mark up on top where its a problem.

We take debit and credit card payments for relatively large sums of money at our business and as we are charged 1% to process credit card payments by our payment provider (debit card payments cost us about 15p regardelss of the amount which we are happy to cover) we have to pass this on or swallow a fairly hefty card transaction fee ourselves. Will will now be forced to either choose not to offer card payments as an option at all or basically increase our base price to cover the occasions when a customer insists on paying by credit card so all our other customers will basically be paying more to cover the cost of the few who choose/need to pay by credit card. Hardly seems fair does it?

What the EU/UK Government could have done is actually tackle the payment providers who charge more for credit cards than debit card transactions. I think this is to cover some of the benefits of paying by credit card such as payment protection which really ought to be paid for by the consumer from the intrest they are charged rather than hidden in transaction costs like this.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 19-07-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 857 Posts
    What's wrong with PayPal?
    Urgh...

Having flashbacks to the time I spent attempting to resolve an issue. I had to phone them...

I'll say that again - I had to phone them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (19-07-2017)