Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving troop and district advise please.

Thanks

moving troop and district advise please.

Sorry if in the wrong place but looking some advice. Ignore the first and last paragraphs it's just me rationalising my decision to move second is my question.

I'm not happy in my troop anymore due to personality clashes with some of the new leaders and feeling like an outsider so looking to move after about 10 years with this troop. I feel if I don't move I'm going leave scouting completely after joining as beaver many many years ago. For the last few years I've lived outside the district but still gone back as there was a good leader team but due to other commitments the dynamic has changed with leaders leaving and the youth in the lead being pushed by the current DC makes you feeling old (I'm still young at heart and only in my 30s). I am currently training up my replacement as the quartermaster and he is feeling the same as me with some of the other leaders and I want to still help with my current troop if needed as it should be about the kids not the politics.

That's the back ground of my reason to move now for the advice how do I go about moving troops and districts? Last time I moved I came from NI to Scotland so called hq who put me in touch with the local DC who took me to my local troop this was as a student temporary leader and I stayed. Is there an official route or best if I just turn up at the local hall and say I'm looking to join?

Or should I just leave as all troops will be full of the same political bs and not worth the hassle as life is too short
    ASL JNI Scouts Paisley

Known as Q as I am the quartermaster

Thanks
    Contact the DC of the District you are thinking of moving to and ask which Troops would benefit from an extra ASL. Do not commit to one Troop immediately, go and visit a few and get a feel for how they run and whether there are any "politics" or personality issues at play. Also what role they would offer you as in much input you would have into how the Troop runs, what activities they do and running some weekly meetings etc.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I had hoped a summer off would change my mind but it hasn't. I can stay in the district and another sl has said I can join them but kinda want somewhere closer to home.

I'll get in touch with the local DC and see when everyone is starting back up. I can't do every week due to work which doesn't help but enjoy being a quartermaster (yes I'm odd lol) and camping so hope I can find somewhere
    ASL JNI Scouts Paisley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rudd View Post
    I'll get in touch with the local DC and see when everyone is starting back up. I can't do every week due to work which doesn't help but enjoy being a quartermaster (yes I'm odd lol) and camping so hope I can find somewhere
    If you offered us an occaional Leader, Quartermaster and someone that came on camps we would snap their hand off especially the quartermaster part as our stores are nearly always a disgrace (we shockingly went down and tidied up properly and had a mini sort out a couple of days after camp as it had just got so bad)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I think I would have been interested in someone wanting to be a QM, however if you arrived saying you were moving because of a personality clash elsewhere I'd have second thoughts??? I know it happens but those situations are a two way issue - So DON'T concentrate on that as your reason for moving. It's not unreasonable after 10 years to want a change and if you live closer then that is also a good reason to want to move.
    We all do things our own way, which isn't necessarily the right or wrong way - just a different way from each other. If a 'team' of people do things the same way it works really well but if you don't do things that way then you're in a minority and find yourself feeling out in the cold. That is the time to move on. The problem is we build roots in specific Groups when we spend many years there and it can be difficult to move. I spent 18 years in my first Group as a leader (the one I'd been a Cub and Scout at) and found myself in the same situation as yourself. An opportunity came up to be SL at a neighbouring Troop and I took it. 14 years later and a GSL turned up who I struggled to agree with so it was time to move on again. We have to look at our Scouting wider than the particular Group or District we are currently with. Scouting takes place beyond the walls of our own HQs - it's a big world out there.
    Last edited by Mallah; 11-08-2017 at 07:46 AM.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mallah For This Useful Post:

Alan Rudd (11-08-2017),Jamieson90 (11-08-2017),johnL (11-08-2017),Kev (11-08-2017),shiftypete (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    I moved groups, district, in fact counties recently after over 30 years as a leader. Number of reasons, personal and scouting.
    Don't regret it, I needed the change and it revitalised me by having a new challenge.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to an hour a week! For This Useful Post:

Alan Rudd (11-08-2017),itchen (11-08-2017),Mallah (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Personality clash might not be the best way to describe it as I'm 35-40 min drive away so I can't get to the social side of scouting after a night, I can't get to all the planning meetings due to work. So as leaders leave and new come in I never get much time to get to know them out side of troop night so feel like an outsider as one of the longest running leaders there. Hence doing qm as a change of pace and try and revitalise my love of scouting but you end up hated by everyone when you ask for 2 weeks notice for kit (hardly unreasonable I think) and they turn up on a Friday night and say we need stuff for tonight and you have to say no as its already booked out or still lying where you left it 2 weeks ago as I've not had time to sort it or fix it so your the worst in the world as you are supposed to be helping one section and won't stop what your doing to help them and told that's not very scouting of you.
    ASL JNI Scouts Paisley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rudd View Post
    Personality clash might not be the best way to describe it as I'm 35-40 min drive away so I can't get to the social side of scouting after a night, I can't get to all the planning meetings due to work. So as leaders leave and new come in I never get much time to get to know them out side of troop night so feel like an outsider as one of the longest running leaders there. Hence doing qm as a change of pace and try and revitalise my love of scouting but you end up hated by everyone when you ask for 2 weeks notice for kit (hardly unreasonable I think) and they turn up on a Friday night and say we need stuff for tonight and you have to say no as its already booked out or still lying where you left it 2 weeks ago as I've not had time to sort it or fix it so your the worst in the world as you are supposed to be helping one section and won't stop what your doing to help them and told that's not very scouting of you.
    Ahh, so you see the role as being the guard beyond which everyone has to get??? and your job is to stop them at all costs!!! Hmmm. Most Groups don't have QMs and manage quite well - although tend to find repairs don't happen from one year to the next etc. I would suggest you look on it as being the person who makes time to do some checks on equipment from time to time, and organises an 'event' where leaders can join you to check tents etc one Saturday and include some food and beer/wine. Not necessarily your role to book everything in and out but can ask questions at the regular leaders meetings as to where certain items went after a particular camp perhaps. Equipment belongs to the group/sections and the aim is to get as much of it used as possible not kept neat and tidy on a shelf. It needs to be looked after by everyone not just the QM. The QM needs to make sure things get replaced or repaired when they get broken.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    The role of QM can be done in many varied ways. However I must admit I would not like a 2 week lead time on requesting equipment and I can see how being in the QM role when already a bit removed from the Group by distance could well put you on the outside and maybe not make you the most popular person within the Group.

Our GSL and I basically split the role of QM between us in our Group & Unit with me generally issuing equipment and the GSL organizing repairing it when needed. However I only get the equipment out and put it away again because I know where it all is supposed to be (I "organised" the stores about 8 years ago now), if someone else gets something out and uses it that is fine, although it would be nice if they put it back where they got it from rather than either the floor or worse somewhere almost at random. It is extremely rare for more than one Section to be camping at once and not at the same event (in fact in nearly 30 years in the Group I can't recall an occasion when that has ever happended) so when it comes to camping kit its rare for there to be any issue over more than one Section wanting to use the same kit at the same time as when camping as a Group & Unit (e.g. Group, District & County camps) we would plan together who is camping in what tent.

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    Scout Leader: "can you pass me that thingy please, I need it to run an activity for the Scout's tonight."
    QM: "no, you did not request it from me two weeks ago"
    Scout Leader: "but I can see the thingy on the floor behind you."
    QM: "but you did not put it away properly last time, so you can't have it now"
    Scout Leader: "but that means I can not run tonight's activity."
    QM: "not my problem, but it does mean I can organise my stores"

GSL: "Sigh, do I really have to spend my evening sorting out this type of thing."
    "QM give them the damned thingy will you!"
    "Scout Leader put the thingy away this time please!"
    "QM can I have a quiet word about your role in the group."

I speak as a section leader, GSL and the idiot that has to tidy the stores (we do not have a QM - you might be able to guess why ).

Our stores do get into a mess, we use our stuff very regularly (we are a large group), but we work together as a team to sort it out. We do not have lock on our stores - we trust the people involved in the group to do the right thing . Most of the time, most of them do.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hippysurfer For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (13-08-2017)

Thanks
    Ooh you have free access to stores. I am jealous.

Our stores are locked and the keys hoarded. Only three people have access and that is two too many for our QM.

What it means is I can get kit for camping. But rarely can get kit for a section night. So I end up buying my own stuff.

QM knows where all the kit is. But still it takes months or years to get a repair or replacement. It has now been two years since the burnt out burco incident (I was away from camp when it happened). One tent has a broken zip that I reported in November, April and last week.

QM has upset a number of people. Too many times I have had a group of parents waiting to load of the van yet no access to the stores for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I think I'd quite like the role of QM, but suspect I wouldn't be running the stores in the way most QMs do. Stores and equipment belong to 'the section leaders' i.e. the Group rather than the QM. Most QMs tend to be quite possessive of the stores, probably as a result of the fact they are the ones tidying it up on a regular basis - rather than one of many. I'd probably set aside a bit of time late Autumn to tidy things up once a year and organise repairs etc. I'd like to think some of the section leaders would join in and help but wouldn't worry too much if they didn't. I'd worry more about the items that hadn't been used by the following year.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mallah For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (13-08-2017)

Thanks
    Is anyone else humming the tune 'Quartersmasters Stores'??

No?? Just me then??
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    In all seriousness, I think I would try to get the contact details for the DC of your local district and give them a call. Perhaps describe the sort of role you are ideally looking for and find out the roles they most need to fill. Be prepared to have them suggest roles that you might not have previously been considering though.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (13-08-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    Ooh you have free access to stores. I am jealous.

Our stores are locked and the keys hoarded. Only three people have access and that is two too many for our QM.

What it means is I can get kit for camping. But rarely can get kit for a section night. So I end up buying my own stuff.

QM knows where all the kit is. But still it takes months or years to get a repair or replacement. It has now been two years since the burnt out burco incident (I was away from camp when it happened). One tent has a broken zip that I reported in November, April and last week.

QM has upset a number of people. Too many times I have had a group of parents waiting to load of the van yet no access to the stores for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds far from ideal, in our Group all Section Leaders have free access to the equipment stores and just about all equipment for weekly meetings is kept in there bar felts, pens, paper, scissors, paints etc

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast