Thread: Scout Active Support

Thanks

Scout Active Support

Hi all

How many groups have an Active Support team and if so what sort of things do they do apart from organising events such as family camps, or running specific activities or looking after kit

Del
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    I can only speak for myself, but our local SAS is run at District level. I would be interested to hear about groups that have their own, and how it works.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=derekchambers;446812]Hi all

How many groups have an Active Support team and if so what sort of things do they do apart from organising events such as family camps, or running specific activities or looking after kit Del/Quote

Hi Derek,
    My District doesn't seem to need active Support, never has for that matter. Probably because we don't do the sort of activities you're talking about. When you've finished in an active role, that's it, end of story.

Thanks
    I think BigBadBalloo's former Group have their own Active Support Unit, setting one up for our Group is certainly on my radar as we have quite a few former Explorers who would fit in well as members of a Group Active Support Unit as well as some supportive parents and even parents of former members.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

lakes_stu (13-08-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I think BigBadBalloo's former Group have their own Active Support Unit, setting one up for our Group is certainly on my radar as we have quite a few former Explorers who would fit in well as members of a Group Active Support Unit as well as some supportive parents and even parents of former members.
    Pete makes a very good point. If you have a number of parents who are keen to help occasionally, and are DBS checked as Occasional Helpers, is there scope to bring them together as an SAS?

What are the pros and cons? Minimum numbers? Coordinators?

If there is a district unit as well, does this change everything?
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    We are in the process of setting up a group level SAS Unit which is upsetting the apple cart slightly within the district as currently there is only 1 (district level) unit in operation.

The reason we wanted to do it as a group was to keep a formal record of all those "stragglers" who don't quite fit anywhere but are still actively supporting our group (parents, ex-parents, students, ex-leaders etc). We did try an informal "friends of the group" style setup but for one reason or another it didn't really work.

It took some convincing of district bods (mostly those involved in the district SASU) that we wouldn't be treading on their toes (they run district events etc) but that it would be group based active support in the truest sense.

The plan for our unit is not one which has a regularly scheduled meeting, but rather one that meets as and when required; a group of people the scout group can call on for extra support en masse. A co-ordinator has been identified and is on board with the idea and role and the aim is to launch at our AGM in September.

We only have 1 initial meeting scheduled which will purely be for the members to get to know each other, process DBSs and run module 1.

It may be that it doesn't work out as planned (for the better or worse) but the leaders and exec all seem on board and, having put the feelers out, so do the potential members.
    James

Thanks
    We have one Group that has it's own Active Support Unit. The District SAS Manager is happy with this.

The only problem from my point of view as LTM is the AGSL changed his role to Group Active Support Manager and needed to revalidate several modules before the end of June 2017!