Thread: Greenfield Campsite Recomendations

Thanks

Greenfield Campsite Recomendations

Hi,

I am looking for a Greenfield style site for our 2018 Troop Camp - happy to travel to most parts of the UK for the right site! We are looking for somewhere quiet (no too crowded) and ideally near the coast.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts
    Do you normally greenfield camp and roughly how many people do you take to camp? Also what week do you normally camp? I am also looking for a greenfield site to take our Scouts & Explorers on our week long joint summer camp in 2018? What areas have you camped in recently? Asking as trying to judge whether any of the sites we use would be suitable for you and s we might be able to swap some site details.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Epona For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (06-09-2017)

Thanks
    Parc le Breos is lovely, was there in the summer as support for a friend's camp, plenty of wood & easy access to water. Technically it does have toilets & showers, so isn't true greenfield, but they are at least 1/2 mile away! The other bonus is that for those of us on EE, there is no phone signal so no disturbances

Thanks
    Hi We have a site which might suit you . We are in East Devon OS SY 091911 Nearest Post Code is EX10 0AL which is a house in the village.
    Our site is two and a half acres with about one acre mown.We are on the River Otter and adjacent to lots of areas for hiking and exploration.As you can see we are close to the coast.Our site is quiet and the nearest house is some way away. Parking is difficult as we are on a lane but previous Groups camping have put their vehicles in Tipton St John and walked back to our site. We do not have running water (apart from the river) but most of the Leaders live close so supplying water is easy. We have composting toilets which work quite well. We have a large hut on site with one large room and two small rooms one which doubles up as a kitchen. We have loads of games stuff and barrels to make rafts with. If anyone is interested I can take some photos. We have no mains electricity or gas and rely on a 8kw genny for power. This is enough to provide lighting and small appliances plus keep your ipads charged.We have very modest charge rates and are happy with a donation plus replenishment of wood you may have used (You get it from the woods opposite the site). Any type of fires are O.K. just put the grass back. You probably can't see it from the OS but our site is on two levels,the entrance and hut are level with the lane and the camping area is lower down level with the river. The only human intrusion to the site is on the far side of the river where there is a public pathway used mainly by dog walkers,in the summer the amount of foliage means they can't see you anyway.. Anyone interested contact me.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian Foulkes For This Useful Post:

ianw (07-09-2017),richardnhunt (07-09-2017)

Thanks

Greenfield camping site

Brian, I sincerely hope that you remain active within Scouting and on this forum. We would be very interested in the Greenfield site that you mentioned in a post of a few years ago. Is this site still available? Are you able to send me some more details?
    Regards
    Tim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timofford View Post
    Brian, I sincerely hope that you remain active within Scouting and on this forum. We would be very interested in the Greenfield site that you mentioned in a post of a few years ago. Is this site still available? Are you able to send me some more details?
    Regards
    Tim
    Unfortunately Brian hasn't posted on Escouts for over 2 years. However a bit of detective work tells me he Scouts(or Scouted) at 1st Tipton St John Scout Group and their field he mentioned appears to be in the same location as their HQ and there appears to be a phone number for him on this article, although its from 10 years ago https://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/new...-cubs-1-649332

This article suggests the Scout Group was still going last year at least https://lyme-online.co.uk/news/scout...-in-raft-race/

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

timofford (03-10-2020),webly (02-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks to shiftypete i did a bit of digging as well

Googles cache of a village newsletter here http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

has an email address [email protected]

I also got a hit on a travelbug in a geocache and from where it was placed in last few years so hope someone is still around

Google streetview shows the HQ here https://www.google.com/maps/@50.7124...i6656?hl=en-GB
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dralphs For This Useful Post:

timofford (03-10-2020)

Thanks
    When i was a scout, we had a few greenfeild camps at a place called northreps near Overstrand, which in turn is near Cromer, norfolk this would have been somewhere between 1992 and 1994
    the site was roughly here : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...82!4d1.3351055

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timofford View Post
    Regards
    Tim
    I did some pioneer badge stuff for their Cubs at the end of last year. Their GSL has your email and will be responding to you today.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.