Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablet/Laptop for group use

Thanks

Tablet/Laptop for group use

Would anyone have any recommendations for a budget tablet or small laptop/netbook which could be used by groups to access Compass and OSM?
    In order to minimise ongoing costs, I'd prefer to use a flavour of Linux but I'm happy to install after purchase.
    Martin (GSL & acting CSL)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eskibrew View Post
    Would anyone have any recommendations for a budget tablet or small laptop/netbook which could be used by groups to access Compass and OSM?
    In order to minimise ongoing costs, I'd prefer to use a flavour of Linux but I'm happy to install after purchase.
    If you're happy to use linux, and only using it for web based stuff, i'd just buy a cheap laptop 2nd hand / ask on freecycle, format it and install linux
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

3. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (11-09-2017)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    I bought a second hand Chromebook from ebay for 60. No software updates to worry about, no anti virus needed, etc.

It's perfect for Compass, OSM and Atlantic.
    Last edited by pstretch; 11-09-2017 at 04:31 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pstretch For This Useful Post:

big chris (11-09-2017),derekchambers (14-09-2017),merryweather (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    I bought a second hand Chromebook from ebay for 60. No software updates to worry about, no anti virus needed, etc.

It's perfect for Compass, OSM and Atlantic.
    I only use m chromebook at the hut. It's perfect.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    If you're happy to use linux, and only using it for web based stuff, i'd just buy a cheap laptop 2nd hand / ask on freecycle, format it and install linux
    Sorry, think I misled you - I need to get about 10 of them for the district. District has a donation towards IT stuff and they want to get HQs sorted for at least a basic machine for leaders to access Compass and OSM.
    Martin (GSL & acting CSL)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eskibrew View Post
    Sorry, think I misled you - I need to get about 10 of them for the district. District has a donation towards IT stuff and they want to get HQs sorted for at least a basic machine for leaders to access Compass and OSM.
    I can't really help with any suggestions, but the thought occurred to me that if these are going to be used in other groups are you sure linux is the way to go (bearing in mind I know very little about it! )?
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Chromebooks would be absolutely perfect.

they have a guest mode for easy rapid, access.

https://support.google.com/chromeboo...57090?hl=en-GB

the downside? people will mostly have their passwords stored in their browsers.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

Bloory (11-09-2017),merryweather (12-09-2017),richardnhunt (11-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    I can't really help with any suggestions, but the thought occurred to me that if these are going to be used in other groups are you sure linux is the way to go (bearing in mind I know very little about it! )?
    I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. Linux is very user friendly these days. You just point and click like using Widows or MacOS.

It's free, it's secure, it's great!

(You may have noticed I quite like Linux...)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingstonCubber View Post
    I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. Linux is very user friendly these days. You just point and click like using Widows or MacOS.

It's free, it's secure, it's great!

(You may have noticed I quite like Linux...)
    tried that at the hut.

it was a very very windows-like ubuntu that had firefox and chrome in really big icons on the desktop. And an open version of word etc... (open office, maybe, or libre)

nobody would use it.

"i can't use macs" was the standard moan... (nope, i don't get it either... )

Thanks
    If we had our own building I could see an advantage to this for a bit of convince but within the group I (GSL) am the only one that make huge use of digital scout services (with the possible exceptions of some minor OSM work which the section leaders do) and I can't imagine a section night where I'd have time for any meaningful admin session.

But on the odd occasion we need access on a section night everyone has an array of devices these days to bring along and if they didn't have easy access to this we'd find a a way to make the roles and responsibilities reflect this.

On the subject of actually answering the question (sorry!) I would suggest an iPad would be ideal mostly because of how familiar the OS is to virtually everyone these days.
    --
    Daniel Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group
    North London District Scouts

NRSA Rifle Instructor
    Archery GB Instructor/ Permit Holder
    NA Permit Holder
    Radio Amateur (M6DSH)

web: www.9thmuswellhill.co.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill

Follow our Facebook Page

www.facebook.com/9thmuswellhill

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 962 Posts
    like others, i suggest 10 chromebooks.

i use one and it's good enough for me.

TM
    retired 21 March 2017

Thanks
    We purchased some refurbished laptops from http://www.tier1online.com/

We then got around 6 desktops towers (complete with monitor, keyboard and mouse) from work who were just throwing them out because they were too big.
    Simon Parr
    Group Scout Leader - 1st Nanpantan Scouts
    County Cub Scout Leader - Leicestershire Scouts

Thanks
    Although linux is pretty user friendly these days, i think you're inevitably going to have problems supporting it when everyone wants to install printers, and bluetooth speakers or new bits of software. - People will want to use them at home and install all sorts of software on them, if they can't do this they'll just get left in a corner gathering dust.

Personally I'd veer towards tablets, most users are pretty familiar with these now and know how to install stuff through app store etc and at a push can reset it themselves and roll back to clean OS.

I guess it depends how much ongng support you want to offer.

I'm very much a windows/android user but if you've got the budget an ipad mini with a very good case would be great, with less money a cheaper android tablet would fit the bill, Amazon HD tablets are amazing really for the money.

To be brutally honest I'm not sure I would bother forcing anyone to have any particular device..........
    The groups who want to use tech will already have a leader with a tablet, they might benefit from something like a nice short throw projector or a go-pro camera whereas other groups would appreciate the nudge towards a tablet with the support to get them using it. (other groups of course will just ignore whatever you try and do)

Of course you'll lose the benefit of cost savings by bulk buying (not that apple etc will give you a discount really, amazon HD were offering something like 5 for the price of 4) but would it be worth working with each group and offering a budget of XXX (but more importantly offering support for buying/training/using)

Alternatively scrap all that and find some proper techy leaders in the district who could setup a kind of code club Scout active Support unit to provide techy support and RasPi lessons and JOTI activities :-)

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Does Compass and Atlantic work on a tablet without a keyboard? The last time I tried Atlantic wasn't usable on a tablet.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pstretch For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbKernow View Post
    Although linux is pretty user friendly these days, i think you're inevitably going to have problems supporting it when everyone wants to install printers, and bluetooth speakers or new bits of software. - People will want to use them at home and install all sorts of software on them, if they can't do this they'll just get left in a corner gathering dust.
    I guess buying IT for other groups there's always a risk of them not being used. How much software will groups want to install? If they're just aimed for using Compass and OSM you only really need a browser. If you're expecting leaders to take them home and install other stuff, you may be better with an OS that people are more familiar with. I was more thinking of a device that stayed in the Scout hut so leaders could always access the internet there (assuming you have wifi). I can't see how a single device for a group would work if leaders did take it home.

Personally I'd veer towards tablets, most users are pretty familiar with these now and know how to install stuff through app store etc and at a push can reset it themselves and roll back to clean OS.
    If this is primarily for admin, I'd favour something with a keyboard. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but while I find tablets great for reading/surfing, I really miss a keyboard if I actually need to type.

But that raises an interesting point. You're perhaps better discussing with the groups what they would use it for and what type of device they want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast