Thread: Moving on ceremonies

Thanks

Moving on ceremonies

This is my first post here so hello all

I'd be interested to hear if your troops, etc. have any moving on ceremonies between the age groups eg. Beavers to Cubs, Scouts to Explorers. If not, do you acknowledge it in any way at all? At the troop I help with it's usually the case where a Scout asks why Bob hasn't been for several weeks and is told that he moved up to Explorers. Before I open my mouth and suggest that it might be nice to acknowledge it on Bob's last night, I wanted to find out if other troops acknowledge moving on.

I don't come from a Scouting background so not sure of how these things are generally done.

Thanks
    For our group, the last meeting of every term is a group event with all 5 sections doing a joint activity. This also includes badges and awards from the term, including moving on awards and Chief Scout awards.

As well as being a good opportunity to get everyone together it also serves as a transition evening where the "movers" get to see their new leaders and members of the next section within a familiar surrounding.

I believe our Scout section also tend to give those who are leaving the opportunity to pick an activity for their last night (and more often or not then get invited to organise and run it themselves).
    --
    Daniel Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group
    North London District Scouts

NRSA Rifle Instructor
    Archery GB Instructor/ Permit Holder
    NA Permit Holder
    Radio Amateur (M6DSH)

web: www.9thmuswellhill.co.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill

Follow our Facebook Page

www.facebook.com/9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    We had 3 beavers move up to cub's last night. At the end of the night all the beavers go in to the cubs.The cubs all hold a blanket and the beavers stand in 2 lines leading up to the cubs holding there hands up to make a arch. Then the ones moving up go through the arch and under the blanket where they change from there beaver jumper in to there cuds jumper before coming out from under the blanket as cubs and are met by there new cube leader.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rob_o For This Useful Post:

ianw (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    When Beavers come up to our cubs, we get them to wear the cub jumper under their beaver jumper. They stand in the middle of the cubs, who close inand surround him , the sixers then help him take off his beaver jumper, and the cubs go back to the circle. The new cubs sixer then steps forward next to him. We then formally welcome him to the pack. The sixer takes him back to his six as the rest of the cubs howl

Thanks
    How do

the swimming up of Beavers to Cubs seems to have died a death in our Group (despite Beavers meeting just before one of the Cub Packs). As regards Cubs going up to Scouts; I tend to mark the occasion with a presentation to the Cub of a 'proper' leather Scout woggle and a printed card of BPs last message to Scouts, signed by the leaders. I also let them pick their favourite games throughout the evening. Depending on the weather we might have a sausage sizzle (cooked by them). I'm not aware that our Scouts do anything special to mark the move up to Explorers, but I would have thought that a Scout actually staying in the movement and going up to the next section would be cause for a major celebration!

Thanks
    Did three last night and will be doing one tonight. Beavers to Cubs. two beches oppostie each other represent river banks. Beaver sits on one and is pulled across to other bench using rope pulled by Cub leader and Cubs. before hand Beavers says "As a Beaver my work is done so look out Cub Scouts here I come. Pull me across the river do, pull me across to be with you"

Ian
    Ian Pearson
    BSL and ABSL at Reay and 2nd Thurso
    Caithness
    ADC Beaver Scouts Caithness
    TA

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian R Pearson For This Useful Post:

eskibrew (14-09-2017),shiftypete (13-09-2017)

Thanks
    Doing this tomorrow. We meet on the same night, so the Troop arrives a few minutes early. Troop in horseshoe at one end of hall, Pack at other. Rope across floor as "dividing line". Cubs say goodbye to Akela and leaders, and step across to become Scouts, never to return

Shake hands with Scout leaders, take their places in Troop. Pack dismisses, Troop carries on with meeting. We don't do the jumper-removing-to-reveal-Scout-shirt thing because they generally haven't bought the shirt yet.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Beavers
    "swim up river" under a blanket which the other Beavers are holding - the blanket is made to look like a river with banks. While under the blanket, they change their jumper to a cub jumper.

Cubs
    Cubs form two lines opposite each other and stand with their left hands out to the side (towards the centre). Akela says a few words about the ones leaving and then they in turn run down and up each line high fiving the other cubs (with their left hand). When they reach Akela again, they take hold of a rope which is dangling from our hut roof and then swing across (down the centre of the two lines of cubs) to meet the scout leader at the other side. The cubs cheer as they go. They are all very excited at this stage!

Scouts
    Nothing yet...
    Martin (GSL & acting CSL)

Thanks
    Did 4 Beavers into Cubs last night - we have some blue cheap poundshop tarps that are held to form a river - a rather turbulent river it has to be said with Cubs holding it and making "waves". Beavers enter one end with their Beaver tops on, and swap to their Cub ones underneath to emerge at the end as Cubs. Its pretty simple and quick but at least it marks the occasion. This is separate to being invested which we do later once they've had a chance to settle.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (14-09-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eskibrew View Post
    Cubs form two lines opposite each other and stand with their left hands out to the side (towards the centre). Akela says a few words about the ones leaving and then they in turn run down and up each line high fiving the other cubs (with their left hand). When they reach Akela again, they take hold of a rope which is dangling from our hut roof and then swing across (down the centre of the two lines of cubs) to meet the scout leader at the other side. The cubs cheer as they go. They are all very excited at this stage!
    That sounds fun. Though I don't think we could tie a rope to the roof of the church hall.
    SL, 11th Hitchin