Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 National Census numbers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 956 Posts

2017 National Census numbers

Once more, for you amusement...TSA UK figures...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Data taken from the 2016-2017 annual report.
    http://scouts.org.uk/media/879334/An...016-17_WEB.pdf

Disappointing that Explorer numbers have dropped by 600. That's something like 35-40 average sized units gone.
    Confused by the Network numbers, grown by 40%.
    And the non-group adults grown by 32,000? Really?

Looking at the rate of change graph to me definitely shows that the rate of growth of youth members is slowing.

Enjoy!

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Looking at the rate of change graph to me definitely shows that the rate of growth of youth members is slowing.

Enjoy!

Ian
    Interesting graphs. Fairly dramatic turnaround between about 2000 - 2010. Any ideas what caused that?

Perhaps not surprising that rate of increase has been gradually slowing since. Although still a shame if there are young people wanting to experience Scouting but can't.

Thanks
    Isn't there some sort of auto enrollment for network now? Remember also that you don't have to pay for adults so you can declare as many as you like. What surprise?

Thanks
    Massive growth in "individual members" which is where I suspect all the exec members who've had to become members in the last 12 months or so have suddenly shown up.! Not really sure why they all count as non group adults.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    Explorer loss is pretty much all males, and growth in other sections mostly female. Not sure why.

Thanks
    Very surprised and disappointed at the reduction in Explorer numbers, certainly not a reflection of our District where we have continued year on year growth in Explorers and broke through the 200 Explorer barrier in our District this year (across 8 different Units). Until the last couple of years there was at least 900 extra Explorers from year to year

I think TSA needs to seriously look at what is holding back growth in Explorer numbers as the total number of Explorers really ought to be much closer to Scout numbers and they are no where near currently so there is still massive potential for increasing Explorer numbers. IMHO the main issue is there seem to be far too few Units to accomodate them still which means its hard for Units to link with Troops properly when there are around 3 Troops to every ESU. The losses between Scouts and Explorers are still massive after more than 10 years of Explorers we really ought to have got the transition sorted across the country a lot better than we seem to have currently.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (25-09-2017),ianw (12-09-2017),tonybaulch (30-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 956 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingstonCubber View Post
    Interesting graphs. Fairly dramatic turnaround between about 2000 - 2010. Any ideas what caused that?
    Admitting girls. Changes to the sections. The Centenary effect.

Girls were allowed in all sections in around 89/90 I think, but it was optional, lots of old school leaders didn't like it, some hurumphed and carried on their boys only club, some took their ball home, sometimes the section went with them, sometimes just the usual some kids didn't like the new leaders. In 2007 girls in all sections (with some exceptions) was mandatory.

Meanwhile in 2002 Ventures stopped and Explorers/Network started, and the age ranges of scouts was tweaked.
    At some point around then, we got the "Balanced programme" an integrated mostly thought through progressive training scheme for the whole 6-25 age range. It made a lot of sense if memory served, and leaders were mostly positive about it.

Peter Duncan. The first personality as Chief Scout. 2004. It got a lot of press, and he was just famous enough for the papers to print opinion pieces from him, and report scout events that he was at, and go to him as the "voice of scouting" for opinions on youth interest stories etc. Basically we started getting a higher profile.

2007 the World Scout Jamboree was in Chelmsford Essex, celebrating 100 years of scouting, lots of good positive publicity.

2009 Bear Grylls starts at Chief Scout. Again, lots of publicity.

In my opinion, 2000-2010 The Scout Association went from a 50s throwback "ooh I used to be in cubs" to being generally thought of as a fun and good thing for your kids to do.

I'm guessing the growth will be slowing down as the low hanging fruit has been picked, sections that were half empty are now full, and opening a new section or group is much harder. And, as ever, there's only a finite number of people willing to volunteer.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (25-09-2017),itchen (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    I just noticed that the number of GSLs and Section Leaders continues to increase at a rapid pace, with nearly 200 extra GSL and 20 000 extra Section Leaders compared to 10 years ago, which can only be a good thing

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,051 Posts
    But how long will they stay?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    But how long will they stay?
    I don't know but there has not been an overall reduction in GSL or Section Leaders in any year for the last 10 years so I assume some of those recruited must be staying

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I don't know but there has not been an overall reduction in GSL or Section Leaders in any year for the last 10 years so I assume some of those recruited must be staying
    I suspect the turn over of leaders will be much higher with the over all number remaining similar (but hopefully rising slightly... Hopefully...)

We've moved away from a smaller number of long term leaders to a much higher number of shorter term leaders.

Is what I suspect.

The turn over figures would be interesting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    I suspect the turn over of leaders will be much higher with the over all number remaining similar (but hopefully rising slightly... Hopefully...)
    There are 5000+ Section Leaders and 600+ GSLs more than last year, I would call that more than a slight rise.

I take your point about less long term Leaders and more short term ones but ultimately more Leaders is still more Leaders and as I say when it comes to Section Leaders we have very nearly half as many again as we did 10 years ago, which is way more than I would have thought if you had asked me.

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks

We've moved away from a smaller number of long term leaders to a much higher number of shorter term leaders.

Is what I suspect.

The turn over figures would be interesting.
    My thoughts too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Isn't there some sort of auto enrollment for network now? Remember also that you don't have to pay for adults so you can declare as many as you like. What surprise?
    The auto enrolment of adults aged 18-25 with any role in Compass into Network is utter nonsense, but it's a Compass thing, which is not the same as census.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    There are 5000+ Section Leaders and 600+ GSLs more than last year, I would call that more than a slight rise.

I take your point about less long term Leaders and more short term ones but ultimately more Leaders is still more Leaders and as I say when it comes to Section Leaders we have very nearly half as many again as we did 10 years ago, which is way more than I would have thought if you had asked me.
    I don't buy that. I wonder how many of those new leaders were already involved in some way, shape or form?

I know for sure one of those new GSL's is ours, except he used to be the SL and the old GSL has left. Equally the new Beaver Leaders we added to that tally were already OH's. So, I wonder how many of the 5000/600 is new blood.

Thanks
    I don't buy that. I wonder how many of those new leaders were already involved in some way, shape or form?

I know for sure one of those new GSL's is ours, except he used to be the SL and the old GSL has left. Equally the new Beaver Leaders we added to that tally were already OH's. So, I wonder how many of the 5000/600 is new blood.
    Ok so there was a reduction of 555 in Group Helpers/Assistants, however that is defined, but that still leaves more than 5000 extra adult Leaders or assistants involved in Groups than last year, so clearly its not just a case of peoplel involved just changing role and is a fantastic increase for a single year, hopefully we can do as well this year as well.

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast