Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making an explosion

Thanks
    There are stage devices for making large bangs but they tend to be very expensive and don't really give the same type of sound as an exploding cooker might. So baloons would be a cheaper option of making a noise that isn't quite the same as an exploding cooker I guess. Which brings me to a memory from a camp a few years ago which 'might' be an option. It depends how much distance there is between the two rooms - if there is a corridor between you it might work.
    We like to take large inner tubes on camp (from old trialer tyres and occasionally tractors etc) to use on the long plastic slide that is a bit of a tradition. However one year whilst inflating one with a 12v inflator someone got distracted and the inevitable happened. It was an impressive BANG! to say the least and that was outdoors, it would certainly be remembered inside. Only a thought.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    We like to take large inner tubes...It was an impressive BANG! to say the least and that was outdoors, it would certainly be remembered inside. Only a thought.
    Please don't do this. Please. Unless you only want to hear WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for a while and enjoy comforting children in tears.

I'm sure a big balloon would suffice. Or some big enough speakers and a sound effect. Who knows what an oven really sounds like when it explodes?

Sorry if it was a tongue in cheek comment on a reminisce and you weren't in a million years really suggesting it and it's just gone whoosh right over my head.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    How about a chorus of howls of pain? The explosion isn't really relevent. The casualties would be in a lot of pain and they would scream louder if you tried to touch them or move them. Act it out.

Thanks
    Go on, go for a bang and smoke!

I think this sort of simulation is a great idea. We really want to get to the stage where their response is automatic and not easily distracted by whatever else is going on.

In fact I think it's more important to have some distraction than it necessarily being fully realistic. With Cubs, I don't want to traumatise them! So we splash some fake blood around, make some noise and aim to act in a semi-realistic way. Whereas we wouldn't go for fully realistic prosthetics (although I have been tempted!) or acting out being in pain too realistically. I think smoke, bangs and other 'theatrical effects' are great for providing some distraction without being too upsetting.

Now where can I get my hands on a smoke machine...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KingstonCubber For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (12-10-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingstonCubber View Post

Now where can I get my hands on a smoke machine...
    Where in the world are you? I can probably suggest somewhere local...

Glue

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KingstonCubber View Post
    With Cubs, I don't want to traumatise them! So we splash some fake blood around, make some noise and aim to act in a semi-realistic way. Whereas we wouldn't go for fully realistic prosthetics (although I have been tempted!) or acting out being in pain too realistically.
    A few years back one of our leaders cut a nail in half, with an attachment so he could fit it on his hand to look like a nail driven through his palm. As he was getting ready he stumbled, put his hand out, and drove the nail through his palm. His pain, and the blood, was remarkably realistic and we were impressed by his acting for several minutes.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

big chris (13-10-2017),ianw (13-10-2017),Ihatecamping (13-10-2017)

Thanks
    I used to be in a Mountain Rescue Team and one of the members had lost the ends of some fingers in an industrial accident. Whenever we had new trainees he used to cover the end in fake blood and attach a couple of small pieces of string for veins, looked very realistic!

Thanks
    I've been involved in an incident with an oven exploding. No louder than a balloon being popped and no smoke. As said up thread the screams were the loudest noise.
    Vince Hall
    AESL, Meyer Explorers

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Mallah We like to take large inner tubes...It was an impressive BANG! to say the least and that was outdoors, it would certainly be remembered inside. Only a thought.
    Please, please, please do NOT do this.

I did a delivery to a farm once and they stopped me entering the yard. They had a tractor tube with a wheel on top. The tube was attached to a compressor . When it went the VERY heavy wheel went way up .......... and the shrapnel went everywhere.

VERY dangerous, so please do not do this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    Please, please, please do NOT do this.

I did a delivery to a farm once and they stopped me entering the yard. They had a tractor tube with a wheel on top. The tube was attached to a compressor . When it went the VERY heavy wheel went way up .......... and the shrapnel went everywhere.

VERY dangerous, so please do not do this.
    No One was suggesting putting a wheel on top???

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12