Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for UK in mid may

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    me too - something for next weeks commute
    If it's totally crap... It may serve as a good lesson on how not to deliver an Explorer trip... So it's not a total loss...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (13-10-2017)

Thanks
    Hi Matt

I see that the Cotswolds have been mentioned a couple of times. I'm in Gloucester, and I'll be more than happy to help you out should you head over this way. We're not that far from Bath too.

One of my nieces lives in Athens, GA, and she came over for a couple of weeks last year. She managed to squeeze an awful lot in - including three days in Penzance, Cornwall and a stay with family in London. As a student, she was able to buy a student railcard, which gave her discounts on rail fares, but as has been pointed out elsewhere, if you know where and when you'll travel, you can get substantial reductions. The rail companies don't advertise cheap fares too far in advance, so it might be worth signing up to their websites so you'll be alerted when the deals become available.

If you have any questions, then as you've already found out, there's plenty of advice available on here!

All the best
    Paul
    Paul Emmett
    Scout Leader
    1st Upton St Leonards
    Gloucester, Gloucestershire

Adventurous Activity Permit - Nights Away: lightweight expedition
    DofE - Bronze/Silver/Gold Accredited Expedition Assessor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    You could read a great book called Around Scotland, which is all about travels along the Great Glen Way and the North Coast 500...
    well, since we're planning on doing the NC500 next year I'll give it a go as well!
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow Beaver For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (13-10-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Beaver View Post
    well, since we're planning on doing the NC500 next year I'll give it a go as well!
    Yup.

That's well covered. I ran out of superlatives to describe the landscape.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    May I suggest a day in Leeds (just don't come expecting to see Leeds Castle, its 200 miles to the south!), a day in York and a day in the Yorkshire Dales? The Yorkshire Coast is also worth seeing in my opinion (but I am of course biased).
    I was born in Leeds and have lived here most of my life and am incredibly proud of the City and its a great place to live but honestly, I would not put it on my list of Cities worth visiting in the UK. I agree that York is great if you are into historical buildings and a walk around the walls is lovely. We have distant Canadian relatives who we have over the years accomodated on their trips to the UK for a day or two and we always take them to York for a day as they generally love all the ancient buildings and olde worlde charm of the shambles.

The Yorkshire Dales are beautiful but whether nice countryside would be my priority if visiting from an area of the US which has such impressive countryside of its own.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I was born in Leeds and have lived here most of my life and am incredibly proud of the City and its a great place to live but honestly, I would not put it on my list of Cities worth visiting in the UK. I agree that York is great if you are into historical buildings and a walk around the walls is lovely. We have distant Canadian relatives who we have over the years accomodated on their trips to the UK for a day or two and we always take them to York for a day as they generally love all the ancient buildings and olde worlde charm of the shambles.

The Yorkshire Dales are beautiful but whether nice countryside would be my priority if visiting from an area of the US which has such impressive countryside of its own.
    Edited. I'm a div.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks

We may have a lot of nice countryside but it's not the same as your countryside. Besides, at least from our view, English countryside has an aura of charm that can't be matched. Let's face it, 150 years ago my town was not even a farm. It was a place where the Ute tribe wintered. It's all gone.

Thanks

Pete makes a good point. I guess it depends on the kind of things people would like to see and do.

I agree that York is a good day out though.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12