Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I go about renewing a NAP and what is the whole process?

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 979 Posts

How do I go about renewing a NAP and what is the whole process?

According to compass my NAP expires on 31 Dec 2017. I would like to know whatshould be the process and timescale for this to be renewed. (There are manydifferent stories and processes out there but I want the ‘official’ one!)

I have enough logged experience at my permit level to avoidhaving to undergo a further practical competency assessment.
    So what do I do and who is involved in the process and howlong should each stage reasonably take?
    I want to be able tosee my new permit on compass with an expiry date of 1 jan 23.

what's involved from now until I see this appear on compass and how long!

TIA
    TM
    going...going...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 924 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    According to compass my NAP expires on 31 Dec 2017. I would like to know whatshould be the process and timescale for this to be renewed. (There are manydifferent stories and processes out there but I want the ‘official’ one!)

I have enough logged experience at my permit level to avoidhaving to undergo a further practical competency assessment.
    So what do I do and who is involved in the process and howlong should each stage reasonably take?
    I want to be able tosee my new permit on compass with an expiry date of 1 jan 23.

TIA
    TM
    It's not for you to decide what assessment you do or don't need. And I don't mean that in a nasty way.

"Renewal of a permit is conducted in the same way as initial application except the method of assessment which is likely to differ. The permit holder will need to complete an application form and pass it to their NAA, the NAA will then decide on the most appropriate method of assessment. A practical assessment is unlikely to be required but the NAA may wish to meet the applicant or may simply consider the experience and issue a recommendation to the commissioner on the log book supplied."

From https://members.scouts.org.uk/FS120800

"the commissioner" in this case, as a group toilet cleaner, would be the DC.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

Alfbranch (12-10-2017),shiftypete (11-10-2017)

Thanks

TIA
    TM
    It may be different in your District, but in ours the DC runs a report every 6 months and clicks 'renew' for those due to expire in the next 6 months. As yours ran out I would talk to the DC and ask them if they can renew it. Or talk to whoever the DC has delegated the task to. It's something I 'can' do as an ADC who co ordinates the NA Assessors and applications, however the DC prefers to do it as he is more aware of who is still 'current' i.e. running events, and of course if there are any concerns raised over the last 5 years etc. It also only takes a couple of minutes.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    It may be different in your District, but in ours the DC runs a report every 6 months and clicks 'renew' for those due to expire in the next 6 months. As yours ran out I would talk to the DC and ask them if they can renew it. Or talk to whoever the DC has delegated the task to. It's something I 'can' do as an ADC who co ordinates the NA Assessors and applications, however the DC prefers to do it as he is more aware of who is still 'current' i.e. running events, and of course if there are any concerns raised over the last 5 years etc. It also only takes a couple of minutes.
    I don't believe that process follows in any way the correct process that should be followed.

Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulArthurs For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    I don't believe that process follows in any way the correct process that should be followed.

Paul
    Good for you.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Firstly, you'll need to hold a full role as a member of TSA. Do you hold any other roles in addition to toilet cleaner?

Thanks
    Apply for a renewal to a Nights Away Assessor (NAA).
    Forms can be found at: https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...cat=26,358,575 under Forms . Make sure you tick the renewal check box and state the level of permit you currently hold. State your experience since your last renewal.
    Email the completed form to your local NAA. If you don't know who they are then see sub paragraph 99 below.
    In our neck of the woods, the NAAs know the leaders and, as long as you've had some experience within the last 5 years and not had any complaints against you then they permit will usually be recommended to the local DC. In some cases a chat will ensue before recommendation (usually because the experience has been minimal). Permit should appear within a few weeks but will run from the date of recommendation. Chase it if it hasn't.

99. Pour a generous single malt.
    Click on the search magnifying glass at top right and then select find members. A pop up thingy will appear and one of the options on the left hand side is Assessor Search. Click on this.
    You then get to fill in a tedious set of criteria starting with nights away until you get to your district. A list of assessors will be displayed. Either pick one you like the sound of or mail all of them with your application.

*NOTE: this does not imply efficiency or inefficiency in the operation of your district NAAs

Hope this helps.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Airobat For This Useful Post:

Mallah (11-10-2017)

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    My advice is to talk to a Nights Away Adviser (note it is advisor not assessor) and discuss what is needed with them. They will be the one making the recomendation to the relevant commissoiner.

How well do you know the NAA?
    Has the NAA sen you on camp?

Do you know who your SNAPS is
    https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...cat=26,358,575
    Last edited by Alfbranch; 12-10-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 979 Posts
    thanks for all your helpful replies.

from submitting my NAP renewal to the NAA and given that he has a satisfactory log of my experience, how long should it take to appear on compass?

What happens between me handing the renewal to the NAA and it appearing on compass? timescale? 4 weeks or 6-8 weeks?

TM
    going...going...

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    Firstly, you'll need to hold a full role as a member of TSA. Do you hold any other roles in addition to toilet cleaner?
    You may be an associate member and hold a NAP POR 9.57 H
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks

from submitting my NAP renewal to the NAA and given that he has a satisfactory log of my experience, how long should it take to appear on compass?

What happens between me handing the renewal to the NAA and it appearing on compass? timescale? 4 weeks or 6-8 weeks?

TM
    It depends on what the NAA thinks when reviewing your NAP renewal form. When I had my NAP renewal done I submitted the renewal about 6 months in advance as I did not want my permit to lapse. Near the end of the 6 months when a renewal was actually needed the NAA met up with me to discuss the renewal. We had about a 30 min meeting (he came to me so no real inconvienience to me) where we just chatted about the camps I had run and he checked I was up to date with any changes in NA rules since my permit was issued (e.g. Beavers now able to camp for more than one consecutive night). I had the paperwork from organising my camps avaialbe but he decided he didn;t need to review that. After that the NAA evidently recommended my NPA was renewed and I think it took a week or so for my permit to be renewed on compass.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Perhaps mine was a bit too easy. I bump into NAA in the street. I tell him I need a renewed permit. He pops into a troop meeting and passes me a new card. Job done.

I am surprised he doesn't just pass it via my husband as they drink in the same pub on the same night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    Perhaps mine was a bit too easy. I bump into NAA in the street. I tell him I need a renewed permit. He pops into a troop meeting and passes me a new card. Job done.
    How well does this NAA know you? Have they been on any camps you have run since any assessment camp? I ask as otherwise I have no idea how they know whether you have been actively using your NAP and whether you are up to date on the NA rules and have been running camps satisfactorily or not.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    How well does this NAA know you? Have they been on any camps you have run since any assessment camp? I ask as otherwise I have no idea how they know whether you have been actively using your NAP and whether you are up to date on the NA rules and have been running camps satisfactorily or not.
    He has never been in camp with me. But he has seen the NANs and heard reports.

He used to be in the same drinking circle as my dad so I have know him a long time. Plus he knows the group well.

Actually he did accidentally find out something about me. When he turned up it was actually half term and I was chatting to a scout and his dad about what he needed to do to get CS gold. The stumbling block with that scout is he would not go on a nights away. NAA witnessed the discussion. At the end of the meeting dad and scout were happy to take part in an expedition. Considering that child has been in group six years, that was an achievement. (And he did the expedition! But he still needs seven nights away and is fast running out of time.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post

I am surprised he doesn't just pass it via my husband as they drink in the same pub on the same night.

No cards now - it's all on Compass.

- - - Updated - - -

TM
    How much time do your NAA and DC have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast