Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: St George's Day

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki01 View Post
    A few adults in Scouting could do with remembering the promise.
    https://xkcd.com/1911/
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (04-11-2017),Bushfella (04-11-2017),johnL (05-11-2017),Rikki01 (04-11-2017)

Thanks
    We say our promise each week Beavers and link our activities to the core principles in it. However I always offer the range of promises to the Beavers being invested and the vast majority have chosen to love our world.

The idea of having one promise to say at events is interesting as the Beavers say a different promise to the Cubs and the Scouts say something different again! It's never all going to match!
    'Simba'

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsmum View Post
    We say our promise each week Beavers and link our activities to the core principles in it. However I always offer the range of promises to the Beavers being invested and the vast majority have chosen to love our world.

The idea of having one promise to say at events is interesting as the Beavers say a different promise to the Cubs and the Scouts say something different again! It's never all going to match!
    At district events we normally have the beaver promise read out with the beavers joining in, then the cubs then the Scouts which of course everyone else can join in with. So three separate promises which tbh isn't that bad.

The "duty to God" version has always been used in my experience. I don't think you could really start reading out all the alternatives unless perhaps you know you have a large number of members present who would say a particular version in which case doing that as well might make sense.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Chill out. Blimey. It is always the adults that let Scouting down.
    Seriously? I get this, from Trolly McTrollface himself?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oneiros For This Useful Post:

johnL (07-11-2017),Kev (06-11-2017),pa_broon74 (06-11-2017),roger-uk (06-11-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oneiros View Post
    Crikey! How old are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Crikey! How old are you?
    I took the comment to be an amusing variation on Troll. Clearly he is old enough to take offence at having it suggested that he lets scouting down. Your posts often appear to take the opposite view to the majority and you keep making the same few points with no reflection on the opinions of others. Are you just trolling?
    Last edited by Kev; 06-11-2017 at 01:51 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

oneiros (06-11-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I took the comment to be amusing variation on Troll. Clearly he is old enough to take offence at having it suggested that he lets scouting down. Your posts often appear to take the opposite view to the majority and you keep making the same few points with no reflection on the opinions of others. Are you just trolling?
    Is your definition of trolling when someone else has a view different to your own?

I think anyone who resorts to name calling does let Scouting down. I am pretty certain you will not find any personal attacks or name calling from me towards any other member. If you do the I will most certainly apologise because that is unacceptable but I am sure you won’t find a comment.

Within the last few weeks I have been called names and been told to **** off. If you think I am the bad one for just holding opinions that differ from your own then that is really disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsmum View Post
    Funny how Beavers aren't old enough to say, "On my honour...", but are old enough to understand what it means to love God.

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of any of our Scouting associations to come up with a single promise for all sections.
    The long march through the institutions is nearly complete.

Thanks
    Is your definition of trolling when someone else has a view different to your own?
    No, I enjoy discussing issues with somebody with a different opinion, it helps me shape my own. What I don't like is somebody who just shouts "I'm right, I'm right" and doesn't respond to the conversation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oneiros View Post
    Don't call him that - He'll sue you
    Roger Woods
    Cub Scout Leader, Pegasus Pack,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton
    www.sawley-scouts.org.uk

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    Radio amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I took the comment to be an amusing variation on Troll.
    'Amusing' may be pushing it, but I'd hoped the cultural reference was clear enough...

Thanks
    At the recent Thanksgiving service at Westminster Abbey for those of us who are a little long in the tooth everyone was invited to make whichever promise they were comfortable with (I'm not sure what actual words were used to introduce this but that was the spirit).It didn't seem strange or unintelligible. It felt natural and actually quite satisfying.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 1,323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boballan View Post
    At the recent Thanksgiving service at Westminster Abbey for those of us who are a little long in the tooth everyone was invited to make whichever promise they were comfortable with (I'm not sure what actual words were used to introduce this but that was the spirit).It didn't seem strange or unintelligible. It felt natural and actually quite satisfying.
    The issue really lies not in those who can remember their promise, but those who can't.

We expect our YP to learn their promise for investiture. We will prompt if necessary, but unless a child has a learning disability that would make it harder for them to do so, we expect them to put the effort in to learning it. We certainly dont do the "repeat after me" format. It is not a difficult promise to learn. However, having visited other groups we seem to be in a minority!

However, whether everyone can still remember their promise a year later at St Georges Day is another matter. With one promise its easy to do a "repeat after me" version. Or if a YP forgets a bit they will soon notice and be prompted by what others are saying. If there are several different promises, either each version has to be done in turn, taking a lot longer, or people are relied upon to remember the words.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

17. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (16-11-2017)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456