Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raised metal altar fires

Thanks

Raised metal altar fires

Looking for some more advice please. As we now have a lot more children in our group we would like some more raised metal fire pits / altar fires with grids to be used out the back of the scout hut for cooking on fires. Does anyone know a good place to get them from please? We have one already which is very substantial, rectangular on 4 legs and with removable grid to go on the top. It must be 10 - 15 years old. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,908 Times in 1,215 Posts
    this is good... not gonna last more than 3 years or so, i guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Discou...words=fire+pit

Thanks
    All of ours were 'inherited', from where, I have no idea. They're waist height sturdy things, that I suspect where custom made - we only have two, (although there may be a third lurking somewhere... If it hasn't been 'inherited' at some point by someone else - beware of lending...)

The domestic back garden things won't last, you'll be replacing them annually. Put out a general call for any tame welders and scrap iron and get a couple built. The next best thing is some where that does the thing with old oil drums. (Cut in half and placed on a frame.) They won't last forever either, but you'll get a good few years out of them if you have indoor storage.

We actually had an oil drum alter fire for a while, but it got 'inherited'... Just remembered... Its probably the easiest thing to do, cut a drum in half length ways (all you need is a grinder, just make sure the drum is completely free of any previous contents), you now the method. If you don't weld though, you'd need assistance with the stand. Sometimes, if you keep your ear to the ground, you can get these things donated, people moving, gumtree etc...

Thanks
    Ours are homemade out of dexion type stuff. Work well and last ages. They were in use last week - should be able to work out general construction from the photos if interested: https://www.facebook.com/1steastcotescouts

Thanks
    The church near us has a couple of oil drum barbecue/fire things that are basically half an oil drum mounted on a scaffolding frame (two cross pieces held together with a central horizontal bar). Could be a solution if you can't get anyone to weld one up - suspect the local scaffolders may have some life expired or damage poles they'd do a deal on.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    We have very recently got some off of this scout group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2450...5689854839743/

They are very well made. We have not yet have the chance to test them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guider and Adviser
    Thanks
    A local metalworker/blacksmith made ours to order.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    We have several of these: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkctCqTwnYQ-hWX9jIpGGOvFIFGL

They were made by a local engineering company and cost about 100 each a few years ago (materials only).

We have a few extra sets of legs that are shorter for when the Cubs use them.

Thanks
    We use oil drums cut in half lengthways which we use intensively on camps for all cooking. They are dirt cheap easily available (ebay) and easy to cut in half with a grinder. They tend to last about 10 years before rust holes start to appear at which point we just get some more.

The only disadvantage is they don't stack, so they do take up a fair bit of room both in storage and in transport.

The grills we are lucky to know a metalworkers who welded them out of rebar, they pretty much last forever.

Thanks
    The disadvantage of halved oil drums is adding fuel to the fire. You either need to post twigs through the grill to feed the fire. Or take everything off, including the grill to stick a log on the fire.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post
    The disadvantage of halved oil drums is adding fuel to the fire. You either need to post twigs through the grill to feed the fire. Or take everything off, including the grill to stick a log on the fire.

Or you need a grid that does not cover the whole of the top of the barrel - ideally 20cm clear at each end.

G

Thanks
    we use a half oil drum with one end cut out, makes them more stackable and easier to feed the fire.

As long as the open end isn't towards a really strong wind its fine

Thanks
    Our campsite inherited a few broken school desks with metal frames.

They are an ideal size for 1/2 an oil drum to drop into.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.shadbolt View Post

Indeed. We used to just use the grills sideways, but now we have square grills to cover 2/3 of the rectangular barrels. I have considered cutting the ends out but never tried it as I've convinced myself the exposed ends wouldn't be strong enough to hold the grills on and not get bent and broken

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbKernow View Post
    we use a half oil drum with one end cut out, makes them more stackable and easier to feed the fire.

As long as the open end isn't towards a really strong wind its fine
    That is the best and usual solution to how to feed a half oil drum fire

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast