Thread: Deposit size?

Thanks

Deposit size?

I'm just sorting out my plans for week long summer camp next year, taking scouts and explorers. I have final amount to charge, but I haven't been able to do a summer camp for a few years due to only having a small troop. But my question is roughly how much deposit do you ask for? the camp is going to be about £200 - £220 per scout.

Thanks
    With our Explorer trips its a mishmash between what I know I won't be able to refund for any booked activities and a level at which Explorers/parents become less likely to pull out. (Refunds on deposits are a no-go from the start, no exceptions.)

Thanks
    Generally we ask for a nominal deposit, say £25, so we can gauge interest and then we make sure we have enough money in to cover any costs should someone drop out. If we have to pay for things upfront, such as at a Jamboree type camp, then we would have staged payments so the camp cost was covered early on but the final payment to cover food etc. would only be required just before the camp.

Deposits are non refundable. The only exception I have made was when a child was possibly going to move abroad (might be before camp, might be after) and I knew this when they booked, the parents kept me informed as the move progressed so we wouldn't have any uncovered costs if they did move and couldn't come to camp.
    Last edited by Nick; 13-11-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,328 Posts
    We have a very different policy.

Booking is a commitment to pay the full amount. We then charge installments. Each installment is non refundable once paid.

Should they decide to pull out, then the full amount remains payable unless there is a very good reason (e.g. health) in which case we would refund what we can.

It is made very very clear from the start that this is our policy, and was voted for unanimously by our exec. Since we implemented it we have seen cancellations of camps, trips, etc drop as parents realise they can't just cancel their kids attendance because something better has come up and get their money back.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

5. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (13-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 955 Posts
    For a £200 summer camp? £50 non-refundable deposit. Big enough to make them stop and think before blithely signing up, not too big to put most off (usual hardship rules apply).
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (13-11-2017),shiftypete (13-11-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    We have a very different policy.

Booking is a commitment to pay the full amount. We then charge installments. Each installment is non refundable once paid.

Should they decide to pull out, then the full amount remains payable unless there is a very good reason (e.g. health) in which case we would refund what we can.

It is made very very clear from the start that this is our policy, and was voted for unanimously by our exec. Since we implemented it we have seen cancellations of camps, trips, etc drop as parents realise they can't just cancel their kids attendance because something better has come up and get their money back.
    We generally do the same.
    I used to send letters out and ask for a non returnable deposit and inform parents that it was non-returnable unless WE cancelled the camp. i used to advise them to take out suitable holiday insurance that covered their cancellation if they felt there may be an issue.

We too also made it plain that on summer and any other organised event that instalments once paid became non-returnable unless we were able to 're-sell' the place.

Thanks
    The deposit for our Summer camps is usually around £40 to £50 and are non refundable (I usually pick an amount which doesn't relate to any other recent or future payments to avoid any confusion over what a payment was for)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Deposit and instalments are based on what we are paying out by that point, so if someone pulls out we neither lose nor gain. Thatís the right way in my book.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Deposit and instalments are based on what we are paying out by that point, so if someone pulls out we neither lose nor gain. That’s the right way in my book.
    We use our policy as a deterrent to "flakiness".

We found an increasing issue in "reliability". People were signing up and then pulling out because something better came up. We decided that by having a policy which was "punitive" to people doing that, it would mean that signups would be more reliable, leader time wouldnt be wasted, etc. Yes we are a charity, but that doesnt mean we should let people walk all over us.

Where we make a "gain" out of someone pulling out without good reason, that allows us to help out more in genuine cases of hardship, genuine reasons for pulling out, etc.

The exec, including the parents on the exec, all approved it. Occaisionally we get a parent who is unhappy with the policy, but ultimately its our ball, our rules.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

12. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

boballan (15-11-2017)