View Poll Results: What is your dress code for a 'standard' Troop night?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full 'parade ready' uniform

8 11.43%
  • Shirt and necker; activity trousers

25 35.71%
  • Shirt and necker only

32 45.71%
  • Group-branded leisurewear

2 2.86%
  • No uniform

1 1.43%
  • Other

2 2.86%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unform worn at Troop meetings

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    You can wear what you like, it just wouldn't be uniform.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    Out of interest, in your experience if an Explorer Unit is run at District level (as is the case in our District) are uniform requirements set by the ESL/AESLs, or by the DESC/District Exec?

I assume that for ESUs linked to a group, the GSL/GEC would have the final say?
    I wouldn't assume anything when it comes to explorers, easier that way!

I'm DESC, and I leave it to my ESLs for their weekly meetings. I would take any input from the district exec/GSL/GEC under advisement, nod politely, and move on, mentally filing it in the round filing cabinet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    You can wear what you like, it just wouldn't be uniform.
    If everyone was wearing it, you would be uniform, it just wouldn't be official scout uniform.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    If everyone was wearing it, you would be uniform, it just wouldn't be official scout uniform.
    Our scouts have never been particularly uniform; even their uniform is rarely uniform...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellshillscouts View Post
    One of our ASLs is also a Guider and she says the guides don't have uniform, they have clothing!

Neil
    Not so - they have uniform, and it is termed uniform. For each section, there is a specific set of garments which count as uniform.

Thanks
    For us, the uniform has got rather...lax over the years. Officially, we ask all YPs in all sections to wear something along the lines of full parade uniform:
    Beaver jumper/Cub jumper/Scout shirt
    Scarf
    Woggle
    Navy activity trousers or black school trousers
    Black shoes

In practice however is a different matter, and we get all kinds of multi-coloured leggings (on the girls) or different coloured tracksuit bottoms (on the boys) and various styles of trainers (from everyone) and randomly-coloured/patterned shorts (even in winter!?). There have been complaints from the DC in the past about the state of dress of YPs, particularly in the Pack and Troop.

I'm seriously considering sending out a mass email to all parents for all sections around the end of August, setting out exactly what we define as "full uniform" for all sections. What's the point of us being a uniformed organisation if everybody manages to look just as scruffy and half-dressed when they're in "uniform" as when they aren't?

(Back in the 90s when I was a Scout there, the SL at the time had a strict policy that any Scout turning up to a regular meeting in incomplete uniform had to go home and get changed, then report back for the remainder of the evening's programme in full uniform. Those that turned up improperly dressed and missed half the meeting's activities to go home and get changed quickly learnt not to do it again! Both YPs and their parents took the whole concept of Scouting more seriously as a result too I think, rather than treating us as just another youth club or a cheap alternative to a babysitter)
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

Thanks
    I'd personally really rather they didn't wear their school shoes and trousers to sessions, get them ruined or lost and then have parents moaning at us because we insisted on it, and now their offspring has nothing to wear for school the next day. If we were to attend a parade (not happened in my time due to lack of opportunity) or perhaps a visit to a place where smart uniform was relevant then I'd make an exception and ask for them but for general weekly meetings where I want them running around the woods, "disposable" trousers and footwear is fine by me.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

BalooNav (22-07-2019),BigBadBaloo (22-07-2019),itchen (22-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    school shoes? nah...

there is every chance at scouts that shoes will get muddy, soaking wet, covered in food etc plus they will be used for poking fires etc

school trousers would also be a horrible thing to wear for scouts. shorts or scout combats will be just fine!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to big chris For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (22-07-2019)

Veteran lurker
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KoopaCooper View Post
    (Back in the 90s when I was a Scout there, the SL at the time had a strict policy that any Scout turning up to a regular meeting in incomplete uniform had to go home and get changed, then report back for the remainder of the evening's programme in full uniform. Those that turned up improperly dressed and missed half the meeting's activities to go home and get changed quickly learnt not to do it again! Both YPs and their parents took the whole concept of Scouting more seriously as a result too I think, rather than treating us as just another youth club or a cheap alternative to a babysitter)
    Back in the 90s I (presumably like you) enjoyed my Scouting and never treated it as just another youth club, and my parents (one on the Exec at the time) didn't treat it as a babysitter.
    The Pack and Troop had a uniform policy of "above the waist only", and that was substantially relaxed in the Summer, as we were frequently using the woods and churchyard nearby.

Despite my lax uniform standards I took the concept of Scouting very seriously back then, and still do now. If someone had tried to have me dressed like I was going on parade every week I would've left in the early 90s.

I think trying to correlate a strict uniform and commitment to Scouting is a mistake.
    (In fact I can think of a few very smartly dressed Scouters over the years who turned out to be seriously detrimental to Scouting... I'm not sure what that proves.)

I don't obsess about uniform, and my Pack are reasonably neat and tidy. Personally I would rather focus on the attendance, programme and achievements. And if any Commissioner criticised the state of dress of my Pack on a week-night meeting, I would be asking him/her if A) he had nothing bigger to worry about; B) what other Packs are running a more varied programme than us.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itchen For This Useful Post:

BigBadBaloo (22-07-2019),KoopaCooper (22-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itchen View Post
    Back in the 90s I (presumably like you) enjoyed my Scouting and never treated it as just another youth club, and my parents (one on the Exec at the time) didn't treat it as a babysitter.
    The Pack and Troop had a uniform policy of "above the waist only", and that was substantially relaxed in the Summer, as we were frequently using the woods and churchyard nearby.

Despite my lax uniform standards I took the concept of Scouting very seriously back then, and still do now. If someone had tried to have me dressed like I was going on parade every week I would've left in the early 90s.

I think trying to correlate a strict uniform and commitment to Scouting is a mistake.
    (In fact I can think of a few very smartly dressed Scouters over the years who turned out to be seriously detrimental to Scouting... I'm not sure what that proves.)

I don't obsess about uniform, and my Pack are reasonably neat and tidy. Personally I would rather focus on the attendance, programme and achievements. And if any Commissioner criticised the state of dress of my Pack on a week-night meeting, I would be asking him/her if A) he had nothing bigger to worry about; B) what other Packs are running a more varied programme than us.
    I will admit, we have received comments about standards of uniform at section meetings after the DC dropped by...

Pretty much all our regular weekly meetings take place in our Hut, and we're in town as well, so the chances of smart uniforms getting damaged or heavily soiled is small-to-none. A lot of the parents also do the "drop and run", and just occasionally some might even actually let slip that they are running home to enjoy a relaxing couple of hours without their kid underfoot. xD

But yeah, when I was in the Pack and Troop, full correct uniform for us was as much a requirement in Scouting as it was at school. I suppose it comes down to a preferred style of leadership, and personally I feel that Scout uniform can be used to create the same sort of sense of "belonging" as school uniform generally does.
    Last edited by KoopaCooper; 22-07-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks
    Uniform is a tool. Use it that way. Decide what you and your team wants - the DC can go whistle.

We do:

Summer - relaxed - jumper only. Miss that and you have full uniform the next week.
    Winter - full uniform for start and end - change in the middle

We use uniform as a tool to signal start and end being different, to think about group membership and self respect.

But you could use other tools to do that. Its your groups - not the DCs. You and your team make the rules

Rich

14. The Following User Says Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

KoopaCooper (22-07-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    Uniform is a tool. Use it that way. Decide what you and your team wants - the DC can go whistle.

We do:

Summer - relaxed - jumper only. Miss that and you have full uniform the next week.
    Winter - full uniform for start and end - change in the middle

We use uniform as a tool to signal start and end being different, to think about group membership and self respect.

Rich
    Great idea! That's kinda what I'm aiming for - they should come and leave in full uniform, to signal the formal start and end of the meeting, but remove items to be comfortable while playing and taking part in activities. Good balance.

Thanks
    Interesting thread to drop into. I sometimes despair at what some of my scouts turn up in. I remember higher standards when I was a scout but we're quite relaxed - will ask for top half uniform and comfortable trousers. Most change out of uniform between flag brak/flag down. Some wear activity trousers, some wear school trousers but others are in jeans or jogging bottoms, leggings. As long as they are plain coloured I don't mind. Some of the girls have recently started turning up with ripped front jeans and the likes which I'm not a big fan of. Also gave one a disapproving look when she rocked up with what appeared like inch long false nails last week!

Thanks
    Dont they need to be in full uniform for travelling - otherwise they are not insured?........................

On a more sensible note, I dont see the point in shiny school shoes and pressed trousers and apart form that they are not suitable clothing for ( most if not all ) of the activities we do.
    Jeans- not bothered about, as long as they are fit for purpose ( ideal for walking through overgrown weed/nettle infested paths - not so good in the wet) again footwear, as long as its suitable ( ie no open toe footwear for axe work/fires etc)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    I think this is key. Uniform should serve a purpose, and I am of the opinion that it’s a privilege to wear - but it’s totally okay that not everyone agrees. We have reintroduced a number of requirements to our explorer unit, including uniform (shirt, necker, correct badges) for all weekly meetings in the HQ unless obviously not appropriate. They can wear what they like whilst we’re doing the activities. It has been a successful tool to instil some self respect, and to support some reflection on scouting values and ethos that had been lost amongst our feeder scout troops. It’s been a good tool to instil patrol spirit (yes, we also introduced patrols and inter patrol points as well to improve team spirit). On the whole, it’s been a great success. I’ve seen cohesion and respect improve. It means the jump up to genuinely formal events like the district parades or awards nights isn’t such a shock, and all but one come to every meeting happily wearing uniform.
    ESL - Titan ESU (Wakefield)

Thanks
    We go with uniform from waist upwards. For pack nights they are required to have jumper and neat necker and correct woggle for flag break/down. In between they can remove and have t-shirt under etc. For church parades, STGP, Remembrance etc they need full uniform. During hot periods we allow cub t-shirt as alternative to jumper. If they don’t have a cub t-shirt, they wear jumper for flag ceremonies then whip it off for the night.
    For inspection we award up to 5points per cub (averaged over the number there) -
    Jumper (or t-shirt if approval given)
    Necker
    Woggle
    Looking generally neat & tidy
    Behaving (not flossing etc in pack circle)

As there is a term prize, the Cubs self police to make sure their Six doesn’t drop silly points
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District