View Poll Results: What is your dress code for a 'standard' Troop night?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full 'parade ready' uniform

8 11.11%
  • Shirt and necker; activity trousers

26 36.11%
  • Shirt and necker only

33 45.83%
  • Group-branded leisurewear

2 2.78%
  • No uniform

1 1.39%
  • Other

2 2.78%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unform worn at Troop meetings

Thanks
    When I ran Cubs it was jumper and necker for pack nights, jeans and trainers ok. When it was hot group t-tshirt and necker. Only insisted on smart for parades.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    For pack nights they are required to have jumper and neat necker and correct woggle for flag break/down.
    Do you have a sanction to back this, or is it really just a request?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    We run two Cub Packs. For my own I insist on a smart turnout, jersey, scarf (and yes) the Scout activity trousers. Footwear I go with the flow. Like others, after flag break/inspection Uniform tops can removed, down to their T shirts; at this age most Cubs want an official/Group T shirt. Then Jersey and Scarf back on for flag down and dismissal.

Our sister Pack has a different uniform standard, going with the jersey and scarf, with everything from the waist down being up to the Cubs. Both Packs are equally successful I'd say, And the uniform, or a version or it, has no bearing on how each run. Some parents see me as being stricter than my fellow leaders, I guess there are generational differences only

Sanctions? Standards are maintained through weekly inspections and points awarded/deducted which effect the sixes standings in the termly competition. Parents know what is expected and I've never had a problem with a uniform rebellion!!

Thanks
    Surely on something so fundamental, it just is. Or to put more simply, if you can't follow the instructions on what to wear, how am I going to trust you to follow instructions on that axe, that knife, that boat, that

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Perhaps I was a bit curt, that comment wasn't in any way an attack, just a question.

I would argue that a "rule" without a sanction is a request. The kids maybe wont notice the difference.

I also think there is a large chunk of "everyone is in uniform, I will be too or I look odd" that goes on.

On my part, our uniform "policy" hasn't changed, but adherence to it has dropped away to almost nothing. We *don't* have inspection, or six points (mostly because I can't think of a sane and fair way to track points that wont detract from meetings, other than keeping it to things like inspection. I don't like the whole inspection idea either). Partly I think we aren't communicating the uniform policy to parents clearly. Partly adults don't tend to wear *their* uniform either. It's something I mull a fair bit, but it's a nettle I haven't grasped yet.

Hi How Are You?
    Thanks

Kilt

Our Group Uniform Is Kilt And Shirt

Thanks
    Perhaps I was a bit curt, that comment wasn't in any way an attack, just a question.

I would argue that a "rule" without a sanction is a request.
    No probs - not taken badly! there is a difference. A request is "would you mind" - something I am not fussed about. The rest is simply directions/orders/rules. Id hope not to need obvious sanctions - it is the expectation and the leaders say it is so - so it is so.

This week we have released Scouts and Explorers into foreign towns, sailed solid steel boats and done many other things whilst based in a foreign country. Adherence isn't optional when we require something.

(oh and it is always phrased nicely, but fundamentally If I cant trust you to wear the right trousers, I am not going to be able to trust you with £15k of boat or the lives of your patrol.....)

Hope that makes sense

Rich

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

boballan (17-08-2019),KoopaCooper (20-08-2019)

Thanks
    I am amazed that this is even a question. For over 50 years we have met in uniform regardless of section. If uniform has not been appropriate e.g. decorating a float for the local gala procession or a hike (neckerchief to be worn) then we have informed the youngsters and their parents accordingly. It has never been an issue. We have had uniform inspections with points for each item - no problem; we attempted to prescribe footwear but this was not so successful. I cannot understand why it should be any different. The survey also shows that some meet in group branded leisure wear. Why?? Isn't this uniform by some other name? It seems to me that there are those who would like to do away with uniform entirely. Surely, if you don't like the uniform or any of the rules of POR (not saying that POR demands uniform as there are those who will argue about words such as "may be worn", why on earth would you join the organisation?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boballan For This Useful Post:

KoopaCooper (20-08-2019),RisingStar (17-08-2019)

Thanks
    We are one of those groups who aren't that fussy about uniform and generally opt on the side of leisure wear nowadays. Simply because there about three activities we do that the appropriate and sensible clothing would be a smart shirt and awful not quite cargo trousers. To me those are parading down the street on Remembrance Sunday, Presenting formal awards- for a sense of tradition and meeting other Scout from other place- again to show a sense of unity and tradition.

I have a uniform and it is good condition, used on appropriate events and I am proud wear it when I do. But on an evening meeting or camp or trip everyone I'm with knows I'm a Scout so forget that and put something on that suits what I'm up to. I'd much rather light a fire or run round a wood in jeans and a group polo than any uniform item!

I DO subscribe to the "Scarf for everything to show were Scouts doing stuff as Scouts" theory.
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Scout shirt+Neckercheif ( a scarf is something usualy made of wool )
    Im not too fussed over what they wear on the lower half, as long as the footwear and trousers/leg wear are fit for the activity taking place, and I'm not rabidly anti jeans either. In my opinion jeans ( or any other "heavy" trousers) can have an advantage over thinner material Ive found that nettle stings/brambles etc can penetrate thinner material, while jeans have provided a level of protection

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Scout shirt+Neckercheif ( a scarf is something usualy made of wool ) .........................
    Ah but.....................! A scarf is something that is usually worn around the neck (and these days are made of all sorts of material so I am not sure if "usualy (sic) made of wool" is strictly accurate)
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBadBaloo For This Useful Post:

KoopaCooper (20-08-2019)

Thanks
    Sorry - had missed this!
    We go with POR uniform (por says “official uniform” waist upwards for Cubs, with waist down optional).
    During indoor activities indoors we insist uniform is worn for all ceremonies, but can be removed for activities, games etc.
    Just used common sense, but not a sanction (to be honest, it never crossed my mind...)
    If parading, the uniform (above) is supplemented with either activity trousers, school trousers / skirts. Smart shoes.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 19-08-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    Not a sanction, an ethos. The Patrol Leaders inspect the other Patrols by rotation (the Patrol one to the left one week, two to the left the next, and so on) and award Patrol points. We do get the odd Scout who is not bothered, but in general we've established a norm of turning up smartly dressed. It's not perfect and, when we go out and ask for uniform, we get Scouts who seemingly ignore us, but in general the Troop can be quite smart.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    Surely on something so fundamental, it just is. Or to put more simply, if you can't follow the instructions on what to wear, how am I going to trust you to follow instructions on that axe, that knife, that boat, that
    I don't think one thing always follows the other. We have strict rules around use of potentially dangerous equipment, but we don't have strict rules around uniform. Not having the latter, doesn't affect the former.

Thanks
    It’s a case of there is a set of rules to be followed. If they are blasé about one set what is to say they won’t be blasé about the others?

We follow a similar approach, they are told everything they do can build or lose trust. If they follow the rules/instructions for games, activities, uniform etc. then we develop trust in them, when the don’t, we start to question whether it is safe to send them out without leaders on expeditions. Given it is the leaders that will be held responsible should things go pear shape we think this approach is reasonable.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big George For This Useful Post:

boballan (19-08-2019),KoopaCooper (20-08-2019)