Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Encouraging Parents to use Online Payments and MY.SCOUT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Ah, registered or not you are a charity in the eyes of the law. ( forget about the excepted thing, it is a bit of a red herring in this regard).
    The excepted thing means excepted from having to register as a charity with the charity commission in no way does it mean that excepted charities aren't charities or that they should not be run to pretty much the same standards as charities which do have to register with the charity commission which is what compliance with POR should ensure.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (29-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    The excepted thing means excepted from having to register as a charity with the charity commission in no way does it mean that excepted charities aren't charities or that they should not be run to pretty much the same standards as charities which do have to register with the charity commission which is what compliance with POR should ensure.
    As I said, a bit of a red herring - the reality is that we all have to operate in exactly the same way as any other charity. CC3 is a very good guide to duties and responsibilities. Much clearer than POR.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,071 Posts
    As I said, a bit of a red herring - the reality is that we all have to operate in exactly the same way as any other charity. CC3 is a very good guide to duties and responsibilities. Much clearer than POR.
    Though remember that within Scouting we have to comply with the stricter of charity law and POR, so POR can't just be ignored.

(You of course lack that constraint )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    But is a requirement in TSA as per POR
    POR is also NOT Law.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    Though remember that within Scouting we have to comply with the stricter of charity law and POR, so POR can't just be ignored.

(You of course lack that constraint )

You have to comply with POR, but POR is as clear as mud. The reality is that CC3 is a better guide than POR has ever been. If you comply with the requirements of the CC then you will invariably comply with TSA rules.

Not read POR in detail recently but I cannot think of any point in POR that relates to trustee management of the group that is not already covered by the Law. I'll warrant that most GSLs and many treasurers have not read either. ( Most on here probably have, but in the wider scheme of things those who are "just helping out with scouts" will not have. I never met anyone who had - not even a DC....
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    The 2 signatory thing, probably? It is not a legal requirement (just good advice), but it is an absolute requirement of POR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    POR is also NOT Law.
    It is a Rule you must comply with if you wish to be a member of TSA.

You have the option not to comply, but only if you wish not to be a member of TSA.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    The 2 signatory thing, probably? It is not a legal requirement (just good advice), but it is an absolute requirement of POR.
    Actually, it is a requirement, although it is set out in such a way that failure to comply puts the trustee at risk, rather than mandating that it must be done. It is a rather peculiar way of saying that all risk must be managed and that no-one can make a payment to themselves, but it is there in Charity Finances: Trustee Essentials. My guess is that it is worded as it is to allow alternative controls to be put in place - Our Navigator constitution, provided by the CC, sets out how funds can be spent - indeed it is proscriptive in how a purchase can be made in that written consent is required and the amount stated in the written consent cannot be exceeded, that written consent has to come from the Trustees.

All TSA Scouts must comply with POR but POR is not the law of the land and when the brown smelly stuff really hits the fan it is the Law of the land that prevails. POR is like a disclaimer - it sets out expectations but if things go wrong, the courts make the final decision. If I were coming to Scouts as a newbie, to take on a Trustee role, I would primarily go with the Charity Commission, and then POR. The problem with POR is that whilst it is a set of Byelaws, it is so poorly written and so widely interpreted that it has become the source of myths about how a Group should be run.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Thanked 2,081 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Actually, it is a requirement, although it is set out in such a way that failure to comply puts the trustee at risk, rather than mandating that it must be done. It is a rather peculiar way of saying that all risk must be managed and that no-one can make a payment to themselves, but it is there in Charity Finances: Trustee Essentials. My guess is that it is worded as it is to allow alternative controls to be put in place - Our Navigator constitution, provided by the CC, sets out how funds can be spent - indeed it is proscriptive in how a purchase can be made in that written consent is required and the amount stated in the written consent cannot be exceeded, that written consent has to come from the Trustees.

All TSA Scouts must comply with POR but POR is not the law of the land and when the brown smelly stuff really hits the fan it is the Law of the land that prevails. POR is like a disclaimer - it sets out expectations but if things go wrong, the courts make the final decision. If I were coming to Scouts as a newbie, to take on a Trustee role, I would primarily go with the Charity Commission, and then POR. The problem with POR is that whilst it is a set of Byelaws, it is so poorly written and so widely interpreted that it has become the source of myths about how a Group should be run.
    Much like "should" in POR... i think it would be unwise to go against recommendations in CC3
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Indeed, hence my point that you have to comply with the *stricter* of the two.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallah View Post
    POR is also NOT Law.
    I didn't say it was

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by medic2 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Before I took over cash and cheques were the way to go because there HSBCs in our small village and the neighbouring village so it was easy to pay in but they have both closed and so the nearest bank is in the middle of a busy town where its a nightmare to park and then to a long walk to get through. I don't mind doing it occasionally but when you get activates money in drips and drabs it becomes a pain in the backside.

I'm accepting BACS payments but they have to contact us for the account number and sort code, this allows me to control (to an extent) the reference they use when paying, for example if Billy Jones from Cubs is paying their subs I'd reply back with the account details and ask them to use ref: 'C-BillyJ' or something to that effect, makes tracking down the payments easier anyway

To get around this problem I issued our three sections with a float of 50 cash, they give me the receipts at the end of each month and I pay the cash back to them. If there is a large purchase to be made I'll pay with the debit card I have on the account. What I would like is the leaders to use a credit card of their own and I pay the bill each month so I don't have to go to the bank and get exact cash out at the counter.

I'm drafting a letter to parents which will be sent home with every child, also posted on our facebook page and emailed out so I can make damn sure everyone gets it.
    How do you manage a debit card with a dual signatory account
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Had a look at online payments with OSM, we charge 35 per term out of that with fees OSM takes roughly 1 away form us. so will be using it only as a last gasp for reluctant payers.
    as a Scout Troop we could be loosing 100 a year, at least 400 down as a Group (beavers/Cubs/Scouts) if we were using OSM online payments

Thanks
    Thanked 2,940 Times in 1,232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Had a look at online payments with OSM, we charge 35 per term out of that with fees OSM takes roughly 1 away form us. so will be using it only as a last gasp for reluctant payers.
    as a Scout Troop we could be loosing 100 a year, at least 400 down as a Group (beavers/Cubs/Scouts) if we were using OSM online payments
    We are paying a lot of money to OSM. But the uptick in payments and gift aid means it has pad for itself.

Also. Subs for over 150 kids takes minutes per year.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    What Chris said... we more than made up for the cost by all bar one family using it. And, increas in subs - took a few minutes to email parents.. Job done.
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234