Thread: Pancakes - the alternative

Thanks

Pancakes - the alternative

Hi all

We are looking at doing pancake day this year with so many allergies incl dairy was wondering what alternatives people do

Del
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    On the face of it I don't see why gluten free flour and soya milk can't be substituted in for the normal flour and milk - really all you are doing is binding the flour with some egg and flavoured fat containing water (milk) and then frying it to dry off the water content. To be fair I haven't tried it but having somehow created a family tradition of making pancakes every weekend for the kids as breakfast (one of those "memory making" things) I would think it worth a try. The only problem is that I can't see an obvious egg substitute - less likely as an allergen but you might get a vegan. Might have to watch the oil as well I guess.

Might be worth floating it as an idea with parents and seeing what allergies get reported - never know you might not get any.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks
    A few years back I had a lactose intolerant Cub, we used whatever milk substitute his mother provided but we did find that it needed an extra egg added to the basic recipe (so 2 eggs/half pint of milk/4oz flour). We found that an extra egg was also beneficial with our GF Cub a couple of years later (Doves GF/SR flour worked fine with the extra egg). I suspect that the chemists amongst us will identify this as being to do with protein content of the ingredients!
    Banana pancakes (mashed banana & egg - google it) are often suggested for GF diets but I've not tried that myself, nor have I ever done an egg free version.
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Sounds like a fun idea.

There are allergies and there are intolerances. A milk allergy is rather rare but lots of people are lactose intolerant. A tsp of milk can kill someone that's allergic to milk. For people that have lactose issues I'd ask the parents how sensitive they really are. The odds are that pancakes would be fine. Just don't give the kid a glass of milk to go with it! I don't know about where you live but around here regular milk is less expensive than the other stuff. They both work. You can use oil rather than butter.

Gluten is another one of those things. People with Celiacs can't have any. There are people with gluten intolerance, like my son, that will end up on the toilet all night if he has a slice of bread, but most people that say they're intolerant really don't have that much of an issue. I know, you can't say that to the parents. The gluten free flours are really expensive but work fine for pancakes.

All in all, if you have people that really can't eat gluten or dairy it's likely only a few and you can make different batter for them. As long as a kid can pour syrup on it they'll likely be happy. How about skipping the pancakes and just using corrugated card board?

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Another idea may be to get some of the squirty bottles and do pancake painting instead of pancakes and eat them......

I'm unsure how much "instead" would inevitably become "as well as" but could be worth a go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    Another idea may be to get some of the squirty bottles and do pancake painting instead of pancakes and eat them......

I'm unsure how much "instead" would inevitably become "as well as" but could be worth a go.
    We did this, works a treat.

Got bottles from Nisbets.

Edit* I should elaborate, they were the squeezy sauce bottles you find on tables in cafes.

Other edit* It was also a lot tidier than pancakes usually are. The kids spend the time doing the arty pancakes instead of all the mixing - which is the messy bit. Because the arty bit requires care, it meant there wasn't anything like the usual mess to tidy up. We had a leader in the kitchen turning out batches of mixture from a food mixer and another filling the sauce bottles. The end results just as edible as ordinary pancakes.

Definitely one of the better activities for Scouts, and possibly for Cubs too.
    Last edited by pa_broon74; 11-01-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    We did this, works a treat.
    Yes, as long as the batter is smooth. Flour lumps will block the nozzles. But it is genuinely a good idea, we've done this a few times too.
    Oh yes! It's that term isn't it! Heart shaped valentines pancakes! Possibly.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Yes, as long as the batter is smooth. Flour lumps will block the nozzles. But it is genuinely a good idea, we've done this a few times too.
    Oh yes! It's that term isn't it! Heart shaped valentines pancakes! Possibly.

Ian
    We cheated and used a blender.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    We cheated and used a blender.
    So did the explorers, or an electric hand whisk probably, but if you can muck it up...an Explorer will find a way!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    So did the explorers, or an electric hand whisk probably, but if you can muck it up...an Explorer will find a way!
    Tru dat.

Thanks
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (my bushcrafty blog)
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/