Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult recruitment

Thanks

Adult recruitment

Hi

We are desperately needing a beaver leader and yes I have heard it all before about the leaders coming from parents etc so please don't fill the thread up with those kind of posts

we have given our cards to the parents, don't boards, had an age and asked etc along with following up emails and follow-ups on osm

any other suggestions

del
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    I apologise if this is just the kind of response that you dont want, but have you tried asking people face to face? I know it puts people on the spot a bit (okay a lot), but we have found that you at least get an open discussion out of doing this.

Emails, meetings etc are great but dont fully engage in the same way that a direct conversation does. It is easy for people to think along the lines of 'I dont have the skills/experience/time for that' or even 'somebody else will do it'.

If you can sneakily identify a few potentials beforehand it can be a big help.
    Last edited by lakes_stu; 10-01-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    Local newspaper?

We are in the same situation, we really really need more, I am going to do an article with a photo of some of the fun things we do, benefits of being a leader (might need help with that an feeling a bit atm) with a please contact us if you are interested and an email address.
    'Simba'

BSL/ADC Beavers.

All opinions stated are my own.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,417 Posts
    You're clearly located in a popular area of a big city! So i'm guessing there are community newsletters / papers, and perhaps a local volunteer centre (even if its just an online directory)

A good tip i'd give to anyone is try typing in your area name and "volunteering" and see what comes up. Doing it for Muswell hill comes up with various things (sadly no convenient volunteer centre or directory) including a scout group (9th)

If you have a website, try and optimise it to appear in search results for "X area volunteering". If you don't then i'd strongly suggest getting a website as a good starting point, along with an open facebook page. The majority of "good" leads we've had (if we ignore parents) have come to us through our group website.

If you're not already signed up for "Do it" then thats a fairly good directory to be part of.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    I apologise if this is just the kind of response that you dont want, but have you tried asking people face to face? I know it puts people on the spot a bit (okay a lot), but we have found that you at least get an open discussion out of doing this.

Emails, meetings etc are great but dont fully engage in the same way that a direct conversation does. It is easy for people to think along the lines of 'I dont have the skills/experience/time for that' or even 'somebody else will do it'.

we have, yes. trouble is parents are all high flyers. Happy to pay
    Last edited by derekchambers; 10-01-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by derekchambers View Post
    we have, yes. trouble is parents a;; high flyers
    Ahh, I see what you mean.

Do you have any organisations locally that co-ordinate and promote community work and volunteering?
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsmum View Post
    Local newspaper?

We are in the same situation, we really really need more, I am going to do an article with a photo of some of the fun things we do, benefits of being a leader (might need help with that an feeling a bit atm) with a please contact us if you are interested and an email address.
    perhaps we can work on some wording together
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post

Isn't that the first few steps of HQs six step recruiting plan...work out who would be good and ask them.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Isn't that the first few steps of HQs six step recruiting plan...work out who would be good and ask them.
    How I hated the way District and County used the Six Step Recruiting Plan as a get out clause...

Bushfella's Guide to Recruiting Adults

1/ Never appear desperate or negative by advertising that you need Leaders or you will close
    2/ Do publicise that you are always looking for ADULTS to help you expand
    3/ Offer to cover the cost of activity training, expenses etc.
    4/ Be visible - promote the good stuff that you do - use the local paper, social media - FB is used by the majority of parents ( every one of our parents is a member and we have recruited through FB).
    5/ Don't publicise Jimmy and Jemima getting their Home Help badge - do publicise them getting their Paddlesport Awards, or First Aid etc.
    6/ Make sure that your group details are up to date on ALL local Community guides - most councils operate a database of community clubs
    7/ Make sure that your website is up to date and has contact details
    8/ If someone shows an interest in any single activity, they are nibbling at the bait, work them and hook them
    9/ Ask, ask, ask...
    10/ Just because someone offers, do not assume that they will be the right person for the job. Be prepared to find them something else to do.

And get involved in your local community - there WILL be local conservation groups looking for helpclearing pathc, balsalm bashing, etc.. Get involved, be seen, get other volunteers talking about your kids voluntering.
    Last edited by Bushfella; 10-01-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

derekchambers (10-01-2018),ianw (11-01-2018),richardnhunt (10-01-2018)

Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Old_Tom_Foley For This Useful Post:

derekchambers (10-01-2018)

Thanks
    School gate - large numbers of parents/nannies with time to chat until the kids get out. Work the line, enthuse about what their kids could get out of scouting

Also, make your Group sound like Manchester City, not Bury - everybody wants to part of a winning team
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.

Thanks
    The sweet sweet of success rather than the stench of.... (even if its not what you feel!!)

Thanks
    Hi all

Just been offered 200 free words in a local paper to about 3000 houses so a start - http://www.the-archer.co.uk/ads_index.php

Now to try and be positive in 200 words

Del

Thanks for getting in touch.

We'd be happy to run a short article on your appeal for a beaver leader and a cub leader.

Can you send us 150-200 words about your scout groups, where and when it meets, what it does, all that kind of thing, and we can print that in our February issue free of charge.

Please send details by our deadline at the end of tomorrow. You can
    email: [email protected]

It would also be good if you had a suitable photo for us to use, as that helps to get readers' attention.

Kind regards,

- - - Updated - - -

also someone mentioned websites so open to suggestions for http://www.224northlondonscouts.org....s/Default.aspx
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,099 Posts
    The picture is probably key. Somehow you want to be attracting adults, not more kids, so it needs to be an adult having fun with the kids. Bright and bold. So not a few people huddled around a sputtering fire. Not a grip and grin.

[A couple of sentences about the photo, maybe a quote from an adult about the fun they have]
    Scouting at nth Flumpwell Town is all about "everyday adventure", having fun, and trying new things like [Interesting Thing 1] and [IT2]. They are a thriving group with over x people involved that meet at [place] throughout the week. They are alway looking for extra volunteers to help run sections and to run one off activities which could range from craft to conservation to circus skills to slime making, almost anything in fact. If you fancy helping the next generation have a bit less screen time, contact Delboy on [phone] or [email] for an informal chat about the opportunities available.

Good luck.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    Interestingly (or not...)

We've had a fair bit of success from spouses, family and partners of people already involved in youth stuff. For example, I think there might be a rich vein of adult volunteers among the partners guide leaders. It might be worth targeting that demographic.

Other than that, pictures of shiny stuff on a Facebook & Twitter page works well. You can do all sorts of promotional stuff on Facebook which can really boost your profile.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

derekchambers (11-01-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast