Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more Active Kids Vouchers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,116 Posts

No more Active Kids Vouchers

"Thank you for being involved in Active Kids over the last few years.
    We're extremely proud of what Active Kids has achieved since it launched in 2005. With the support of Sainsbury's customers and organisations like you, we've donated over 185m worth of equipment and experiences to over 40,000 schools and clubs, and provided training for 9,000 teachers.
    After 13 years, now is the time to take a fresh look at how we can keep kids active. We want to concentrate on the areas where we can make the biggest difference, which is why we'll be announcing a new approach to Active Kids. This will no longer involve exchanging vouchers for equipment and experiences and so Active Kids, in its current form, will come to an end."

Part of me says "Phew!", no more nagging/begging, no more counting, a little less admin. And part of me says was Sainsbows giving some nice kids in a nice town 75 of free food every year (we always got ingredients cards*) really the best use of resources? More pressure on school P.E. budgets mind, but really, should schools be having to pay someone's wages count poxy vouchers to get a new football?

* Apart from that time a friend of a friend who worked in a school that didn't collect vouchers but parents kept bringing them in, so we got them...about 6000, about a pallet of gear, a couple of new tents, first aid kids, circus skills gear, rounders kit, orienteering flags, fairly shoddy compasses, a wooden spoon, cuddle toy..."DIDN'T THEY DO WELL?"
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Never really got us anything more than a few odds and ends. It will be interesting to see what their alternative is. What do Sainsbury's do with their bag tax?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Never really got us anything more than a few odds and ends. It will be interesting to see what their alternative is. What do Sainsbury's do with their bag tax?
    They keep it. They were quite sneaky and abolished single use bags completely - the 5p bags are reusable "bags for life" and therefore they keep all the money.

I believe Tesco either have or are about to do the same.

Personally I always buy/reuse "bags for life" anyway, the free ones just fall to bits.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    They keep it. They were quite sneaky and abolished single use bags completely
    We get ours delivered in single use bags from Sainsburys, so they definitely still have them. Yes, I'm a bad person.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    We get ours delivered in single use bags from Sainsburys, so they definitely still have them. Yes, I'm a bad person.
    From https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/d...and-the-planet :

Supporting good causes
    We donate all profits from the sale of our carrier bags to support the charities we work with. This includes those raised on our 5p and 10p re-usable bags, going above and beyond the government requirements.

In fact, since the scheme was introduced we’ve raised more than 5 million through our carrier bag sales.
    It doesn't say who "the charities we work with" ["with whom we work"] are...
    Celebrate the 17th Holborn's 60th birthday - www.gbby.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rush View Post
    From https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/d...and-the-planet :

It doesn't say who "the charities we work with" ["with whom we work"] are...
    I think that you will find that each store has its niminated charity - the store in Huddersfield has, and I think it rotates them. However, looking at the charities they have picked recently, I suspect that "scouts" of any kind have a snowball's chance of getting nominated.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    By coincidence, on today's BBC News: Plastic bag charge: Where does the money go?

Thanks
    We did well out of the scheme. Replenished small dome tents each year and other useful stuff. It will be a shame to see it go

Rich-

Thanks
    We always got food vouchers! It will be interesting to see what the scheme is 'replaced' with as it made me get my fuel from there during AK season!
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    I did it for a few years, only received a few hundred vouchers each year. I think we got some balls, some stop watches, some compasses, a couple of kitchen knives and a few plastic boxes over the years. Not the best quality and probably not worth the effort it took.

Thanks
    First of all the bags are exempt from the 5p tax as they are stronger bags for life. The proceeds from these, just like the 10p ones goes into the stores community budget which is used within the local community in addition to each stores local charity. Scout groups have been nominated for the charity of the year and one of our local ones was very close to getting it under an old selection system and on a separate occasion they got a cheque for a few hundred pounds that was left over. Sainsbury's will make donations to the local community including raffle prizes, equipment, food supplies and also colleague volunteering. Just contact the community rep at your local store.

With Active Kids there will be a new scheme launching as a trial this year, which won't involve vouchers - it's worth waiting to see what happens.

The single use carrier bags are still used, but only for online shopping, for which a 40p charge is added - unless you opt for bagless delivery.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Assistant Beaver Scout Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Badge Secretary
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    Former Colony Assistant & DofE Helper
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

http://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Possibly just for delivery, then. They definitely do not have single-use bags in the supermarkets themselves.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,417 Posts
    For us, this is bad news. We normally get around 7000 vouchers. It's dropped a bit the last couple of years since Lidl opened on our doorstep, but lots of parents still shop at Sainsburys. We even had a bag pack lined up for during the usual Active Kids Voucher time in the knowledge that we often get a lot of AKVs in the bucket as well as cash!

From a personal point of view its even more devastating... for the first time this year we had someone else lined up to do the counting, rather than me having to do it. Talk about bad timing!
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post

From a personal point of view its even more devastating... for the first time this year we had someone else lined up to do the counting, rather than me having to do it. Talk about bad timing!
    I always found that it went well with a bottle of Red

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Indeed.

Most tasks like that go well with a bottle of red. The countup from bag packing before xmas (1157) went very well with a few glasses of wine!
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast