Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type 1 diabetes

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Sorry, but that is not the problem of the parent and child - that is a problem of scouting ( deliberate lower case).
    it's a problem of society in general.

We are about promoting a decent and proper society. If we then say to people - you cannot touch each other, you cannot hug your child, then we are instilling fear and doing exactly the opposite. Heck, I know that I am out of kilter with current political correctness, but if my daugter or son want a 1:1 with me however momentary, than they will have that time.

If a child wants to hold my hand whilst crossing the road, then that is fine too, if it makes them feel safer.

If I need to make contact with a kid doing an activity to support them, to help them find the correct position, then so be it.
    agree.

far too many people looking at the relationship between an adult and a child always seem to always want to ask the question: is there something sexual going on here?

we seemingly have it in our psyche to always assume that any adult, especially a male, in contact with kids is a paedophile and that our thinking and our policies should be predicated on such. hence we have the thinking in our society that any male in contact with kids, whatever the contact, whatever its nature, must always be considered a paedophile unless and until they can continually prove that they're not.

I guess part of my problem with Scouts was that I put the kids first and TSA somewhere way down the line.
    i don't believe you did. you, like many, can't tolerate the idiots/fools.

TM
    going...going...still here...just

Thanks
    (QUOTE)
    In insisting that a couple don't share a tent, what is your GSL attempting to achieve? Is he somehow protecting people from harm? Or is he just creating bitterness among his volunteers.[QUOTE]

I think that it was his view that people who are not married should not share a tent. The two people in question were an established couple who are now married.

I suppose that a GSL does have the right to insist on certain standards within his or her group. At the same time his behaviour seemed to me to be very unreasonable. I suppose it raises the question of how much a GSL can "lay down the law".

Thanks
    Since decency and propriety in society unfortunately is not an absolute concept - the levels are very much in the eye of the beholder.

So, while I think as time passes our culture and society is becoming more liberal, it'll always be an amorphous notion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    i don't believe you did. you, like many, can't tolerate the idiots/fools.

TM
    Actually, I am pretty certain that when being harangued about getting everyone onto the Scout database, which I knew was not going to work, I made it 100% crystal clear that the kids came first, followed by the leaders and supporters, then the Group with the rest of the Scout hierarchy a long way down my list of priorities. I believe that somewhere in the archives I have stated this several times on Escouts and probably on UKRS before that.

As to your second point, quite probably.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,417 Posts
    [QUOTE=SteveF;452752](QUOTE)
    In insisting that a couple don't share a tent, what is your GSL attempting to achieve? Is he somehow protecting people from harm? Or is he just creating bitterness among his volunteers.

I think that it was his view that people who are not married should not share a tent. The two people in question were an established couple who are now married.

I suppose that a GSL does have the right to insist on certain standards within his or her group. At the same time his behaviour seemed to me to be very unreasonable. I suppose it raises the question of how much a GSL can "lay down the law".
    It's probably fair to say that a GSL can insist on certain standards. I dont think this is a "standard".
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 703 Posts
    To be fair I think the incident that SteveF is relating will have happended quite some time ago. Having some idea what roles SteveF has held in recent years I would guess at at least 20 years ago. Attidues to these things have changed massively over the years, things that most people don't even think about these days such as unmarried adult couples sharing tents would have been totally unacceptable 60+ years ago.

As it happens in our Group we have rarely had an unmarried couple on camp, when it occured about 6 or 7 years ago for the first time in my memory when I was the NAP holder, I didn't even give it much thought. The couple in question had both taken a weeks holiday to come and help run our camp I for one was not going to tell them they couldn't share a tent on their holiday if they wanted to. As our we tend to ensure Leaders' tents are pitched a little away from the kids' tents and the SL and myself are the ones the kids are told to go to if there is a problem in the night and only our tents identified then I am not even sure if the kids knew where all the other Leaders were sleeping anyway (ok I reckon the Explorers were aware but thought nothing of it and the Scouts probably couldn't care less)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We tend now to use a wireless doorbell for the kids to wake the leaders (various reasons for this - but primarily revolves around ensuring that people who are driving the next day aren't up half the night dealing with homesick cubs... and also ensuring its not always the same leaders being woken)

I dont think leaders needing to be woken up has any effect.

To take a typical Scout Camp... two of our Scout Leaders are a couple. They will routinely share a tent.

Myself and the other leader (my AGSL) are good friends. We're not a couple. But she and I normally share a tent at camp (no point putting 2 tents up)

In the middle of the night when they're homesick, ill, scared, etc - kids don't care who is sharing a tent. What they care about is that a couple of leaders will help them.
    Dan Spencer

Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District

Web designer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 703 Posts
    Oh I agree it has noting to do with any sleeping arrangments, my comment was more that we only ever bother pointing out the SL's tent is this one and my tent is that one as we are the go to people at night, so the kids don't actually get told where the other adults are sleeping. It so happens that neither of us have ever had partneres that go on our camps either. The reasons we are the go to people are, one of the two of us will usually be the NAP, neither of us drive and we can assess the situation and decide if it requires additional adults to be woken. To be honest I can't recall the last time either of us were woken on camp as we are usually still awake when any kids have issues in the "night" as it tends to be whilst the kids are going to sleep (or trying to) that issues such as homesickness arise.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Oh I agree it has noting to do with any sleeping arrangments, my comment was more that we only ever bother pointing out the SL's tent is this one and my tent is that one as we are the go to people at night, so the kids don't actually get told where the other adults are sleeping. It so happens that neither of us have ever had partneres that go on our camps either. The reasons we are the go to people are, one of the two of us will usually be the NAP, neither of us drive and we can assess the situation and decide if it requires additional adults to be woken. To be honest I can't recall the last time either of us were woken on camp as we are usually still awake when any kids have issues in the "night" as it tends to be whilst the kids are going to sleep (or trying to) that issues such as homesickness arise.
    I vividly remember the last time i was woken at Scout camp (fortunately pretty rare)

Summer Camp 2016, last night of camp, i woke to the sound of one of the Scout's stood outside our tent, clearly in a bit of a panic...

"Dan? Jodi? XXX has been sick and its ALL OVER the tent"
    Dan Spencer

Web designer

Thanks
    We had a case with a newly diagnosed cub, where mother had a limited knowledge of the treatment and when asked about it by the leaders, one who was diabetic, the other with a diabetic child, loudly proclaimed that we were going to kill her child as we asked how many injections, how much etc.

But then again, she would turn up and say, “ I have a feeling he’s going to have an episode” translation I have given him his insulin but not fed him any breakfast...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12