Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout brand review

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    My gut feel is escouts is at the more cynical end of the spectrum, but also with lots of IT/media type people who will go and play with the brand centre and update their websites with new logos and all that because that's what they like doing.
    I wonder how many of those people have taken up the offer "to be involved in the development of a solution", and how many have said, "Oh sorry, I'm suddenly far too important and busy to do anything except snipe and criticise."?
    Celebrate the 17th Holborn's 60th birthday - www.gbby.org.uk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Rush For This Useful Post:

boballan (20-05-2018)

Thanks
    Exactly what Ian said. Except for the feather flag.
    John Russell
    ex-CSL now ACSL 1st Pinhoe Exeter Devon
    Cubs don't care how much you know, but they need to know how much you care.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:

ianw (15-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 725 Posts
    I am just reading the activation guide, those are some truly awful signs they have in there for people to order for their buildings, which is a real shame as the previous branded versions looked really good

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We were never asked or consulted about the logo change. Sometimes it is better to consult the adult membership rather than leave it to change management consultants and focus groups. There is something to be said for the saying that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Evolution is better than revolution.

As a letterhead the logo is not too bad, but the proper scout badge has wider recognition both in the UK and internationally.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitlaw1 For This Useful Post:

pstretch (15-05-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitlaw1 View Post
    We were never asked or consulted about the logo change. Sometimes it is better to consult the adult membership rather than leave it to change management consultants and focus groups. There is something to be said for the saying that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Evolution is better than revolution.

As a letterhead the logo is not too bad, but the proper scout badge has wider recognition both in the UK and internationally.
    If by that you mean the World Membership Badge, that isn't changing, afaia.

The last "brand refresh" by TSA was back in 2008, so I hardly think this is revolution!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,985 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Welcome to escouts Whitlaw1. Always nice to see new blood.

Ooof, playing on the brand centre. Really struggling with the sectional logos. I dislike that they've dropped the arrowhead. There is no logo generator for the sections. There are no examples in the brand guidelines of a "12th Anytown Cubs" logo. So you have 12th Anytown Scouts logo, are you just supposed to float the section logo underneath?

The logical thing, to me, would be to have the new sparse logo, in Explorer blue, with

Farnham
    Explorers

underneath. but I guess I'm a long way off piste now.

More on brand, but...

new logo 1.JPG

this works for me, but again, probably off piste, and I'd lose the hashtag, as they're wack.
    feather.JPG
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    I am just reading the activation guide, those are some truly awful signs they have in there for people to order for their buildings, which is a real shame as the previous branded versions looked really good
    Totally agree with you about the signs. They are not very clear at all and it has no impact at all. From what I have seen so far I'm OK with the the changes. Think it will take some effort to get our very traditional GSL on board but two years to do that!

I will update printed materials as I go. Good to see a big choice of materials on the Brand Centre but some of the prices for produced materials on the are REALLY high though (eg 12.48 for a pack of 25 record cards though I know you have a download option on some of it) and some of the materials are still very reliant on loads of colour which won't be cheap to print.

Lets just embrace it and see where it goes and if it really attracts all these new volunteers, but the only way to see is to give it a go.

Thanks
    The thing that I really don't understand about this re-brand is the Scout Shop (or as it's now known - Scout Store). It was just completely re-branded 4-5 months ago and for the last few months have been selling items of clothing with their "new" logo on it but with this re-brand, that "new" logo that Scout Store was using has disappeared and replaced with the new UK TSA corporate logo which also doesn't really make sense to me because neither the Scout Shop logo or the more recent Scout Store logo incorporated the corporate logo (however the Scout Shop did incorporate the Serif font). It makes the re-brand of Scout Shop in January by TSA seem completely pointless to me and a complete waste of money.

Logo used up to January 2018

Logo used between January 2018 and May 2018

Logo used May 2018 onward

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jamie32 For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (15-05-2018),shiftypete (15-05-2018)

Thanks
    Been out all day so finally got round to taking a look at the branding PDFs. Logo and typeface were already 'spoiled' but the new palette is slightly surprising. Purple, orange and green swapped out for purple and teal; not sure I'm ever going to be using navy, yellow or pink...

Thanks
    Actually like the interim scout shop symbol. Smart but suggests history and clearly refers to the TSA. This where the new symbol will not work, especially if joining the organisation.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Whitlaw1 For This Useful Post:

Jamie32 (16-05-2018)

Thanks
    I have been playing with the logo generator a bit and sharing the results with my team. The main comment that I have received so far is that the "Group" logo says "Scouts" and with the guidance that we should use "1st Anytown" and not "1st Anytown Scout Group", this ends up looking like a section logo and not a group logo. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    I was just doing the same and had the same thought. it looked really odd on some cub notices I was updating

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Im afraid I am ignoring that bit of guidance. We are a group. Simples

19. The Following User Says Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

sjl14 (18-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Has anyone else noticed that the colour specs for the manky purple are off?

This:
    https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/Violet-C
    is the specified Pantone colour, which is how they will have decided it. It's quite a nice, rich, slightly reddish purple.

However, the brand guide (and scouts.org.uk's actual colour scheme) is for RGB and CMYK values that actually differ markedly from that colour, and unlike that colour look more than a little garish.

Oops.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

itchen (17-05-2018),Jamie32 (18-05-2018),Matt Donnelly (17-05-2018)

Thanks
    OK. I have finished updating the website. It took a while because all my graphics were in the old font so I had to create them all again. Also I had to change all the button graphics to the new colours which is no small job.

Anyway, I think it looks OK. What do you think? www.hovetonandwroxhamscouts.org.uk

Nigel
    Norfolk Broads
    ABSL 1st Hoveton and Wroxham Sea Scouts
    www.hovetonandwroxhamscouts.org.uk

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast