Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Scout brand review

Thanks
    Never mind all that. I might need to buy new shirts soon. Will the logo on the right sleeve be changing? I don't want to waste time sewing badges on something that's going to be off-brand in five minutes.
    Paul Emmett
    ACC Scouts, Gloucestershire

Adventurous Activity Permit - Nights Away: lightweight expedition
    Adventurous Activity Permit - Hill walking, T1 and T2, summer, lead (England and Wales only)
    DofE - Bronze/Silver/Gold Accredited Expedition Assessor
    NSRA YPS Tutor 3P Rifle

Just a different way of volunteering...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Never mind all that. I might need to buy new shirts soon. Will the logo on the right sleeve be changing? I don't want to waste time sewing badges on something that's going to be off-brand in five minutes.
    You can always stick them over the top.

Thanks
    How many people still have the purple and green version of the corporate logo in use locally? Who still sees the purple circle arrowhead logo around?

The corporate branding is being reviewed and will no doubt change - we're probably due a logo refresh.

This will, sometimes quickly sometimes very slowly, trickle down through the organisation.

There's absolutely no need to get all new signs, new liveries for your mini buses and all that stuff now if you can't justify the expense - no one is going to be that bothered if you aren't "on brand". There will come a time when you would be replacing these things anyway - that's when you should look at getting the new branding put on them.

If it's something that take time, but not money, there's still no rush to rebrand - just do it when you are updating it anyway - most will be a simple switch of the logo, maybe with a few branding changes if required.

The section branding was only updated the other year, so this must just be the corporate branding
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    So the TSA adds to the plethora of branding in use... thus defeating the whole purpose of branding...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

GScrimgeour (28-01-2018),khoomei (28-01-2018),PaulArthurs (29-01-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    How many people still have the purple and green version of the corporate logo in use locally? Who still sees the purple circle arrowhead logo around?

The corporate branding is being reviewed and will no doubt change - we're probably due a logo refresh.
    What determines that a refresh is due? Perhaps we are due a period of re-enforcing existing logos?

This will, sometimes quickly sometimes very slowly, trickle down through the organisation.
    So, for years, we will not have "a brand image" but a mix up. Perhaps if the actual usability of brand images in an organisation made up of thousands of groups and sections, needs to be considered carefully before making any changes. Do we want to have a consistent brand that shows the Scout Association active across the country?

There's absolutely no need to get all new signs, new liveries for your mini buses and all that stuff now if you can't justify the expense - no one is going to be that bothered if you aren't "on brand". There will come a time when you would be replacing these things anyway - that's when you should look at getting the new branding put on them.
    What is the purpose of having brand images and using them across Scouting? Yes there should be no-need to re-brand, because there should be no need to change the brand.

If it's something that take time, but not money, there's still no rush to rebrand - just do it when you are updating it anyway - most will be a simple switch of the logo, maybe with a few branding changes if required.

The section branding was only updated the other year, so this must just be the corporate branding
    G

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GScrimgeour For This Useful Post:

recneps (28-01-2018)

Thanks
    I just roll my eyes and groan with talk of branding, I don't just mean TSA. Remember when Royal mail, one of the best known brands in the world, tried to change its name to consignia? I still don't understand why Norwich union changed its name to aviva. When I was little I went to Scarborough in a viva (a Vauxhall viva). It just suggests to me that TSA are completely out of touch. We are short of facilities and leaders. Never mind, have a new logo. Note the way we've made it small and squashed it in one corner to make room for a corporate sponsor logo. How helpful is that?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (28-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    I swear they decided when changing the Section brnading that they would not alter the main corporate branding and that was only 2 or 3 years ago so what has changed since then the means they needs a brand refresh? I would say without paying any bringing consultant fees that if they do change they should just make use of the simple arrowhead logo as they have been doing in recent branded stuff anyway.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Neil Williams (28-01-2018),PaulArthurs (29-01-2018)

Thanks
    Now let me see spend 300 to 400 on rebranding or use that for equipment or trips. Being youth led or is it Youth shaped I am sure I know whats the Youfs answer will be
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to roger-uk For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (29-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post

The issue is - if people don't update their branding, then we end up with a range of outdated brands on show. Any rebrand can only be effective if people actually update materials to the new brand. So the options are:

- HQ enforce the new brand, and thus we all need to spend the money
    - HQ dont enforce the new brand, and we end up continuing with the mess of different brands that we see today, but with another one added

I would actually support a bit more pressure being placed from HQ to Groups to keep branding up to date, but only if HQ made a commitment to keep branding for X number of years... as a group we try to keep "on brand" throughout the HQ. There are a number of us on the leader team and exec who would get annoyed at having a mix of branding and would want to get it right pretty quickly. The aim is to get at least another 5 (and idealy 7) years use out of the bus. If it was a year or two then we could justify not rebranding it, but 5 years is a long time.

If new fonts are being used, i would hope that these would either be fonts that can be distributed by HQ free of charge to members, or fonts that are already installed on most computers.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    If I were still GSL - It would take very little to change the branding of the website and any paper documents because it is a simple image swap.

There are two notices outside the old HQ, one has non-TSA Branding because we got itfor free and the off brand arrowhead was what we got ( cost would othersise have been arounf 500).. The other is a vinyl banner that has a logo that is, I think four changes out of date. No-one cares... Not one iota.

What people care about is what we do.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    If I were still GSL - It would take very little to change the branding of the website and any paper documents because it is a simple image swap.

There are two notices outside the old HQ, one has non-TSA Branding because we got itfor free and the off brand arrowhead was what we got ( cost would othersise have been arounf 500).. The other is a vinyl banner that has a logo that is, I think four changes out of date. No-one cares... Not one iota.

What people care about is what we do.
    You're assuming that it's just a logo change... if fonts, colours, etc all change then thats more than just swapping an image.

As it happens, i was thinking over Christmas that our website requires a huge update anyway... there's lots of content on there, and some of it could do with pruning down... and the photos etc on pages could all do with updating. Will save that job until the new branding detils come out.

Yes people care what we do. But i think having assorted branding around the place looks unprofessional. Within our HQ we can control that. Within the district, its a bit harder - but having one group on the new brand, one on a recent brand, and one still using old branding makes it look like we're not all one organisation.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    I think there is a serious disconnect between The Scout Association - Gilwell - and those of us who deliver Scouting day in, day out. We have just been presented with a new selection of badges, revised badge requirements, revised Cub Log books (just about to buy some for our cub pack until the website said they were out of print due to the new cub programme coming in etc, etc. The Vision 2018 issue had been launched. There are "new" rules regarding GDPR, yet more fiddling with the Queen's Scout Award - it was already unintelligible and on it goes. In the meantime, section meetings continue. Youngsters are having fun, led by dedicated leaders most of whom couldn't give 2 hoots what is happening at Gilwell. lt is a world away. If Gilwell took a long holiday, most of it wouldn't be missed. Scouting would still continue as it always has done. Did we, at the front end ask for rebranding?? Was it ever a problem anyway? Over the past few years we have seen IScout, Youthshaped or is it Youshaped - still can't make out which is what or .., Million Hands etc. All have had their own logos. Then along comes the flaming Fleur de Lys. Then along comes the Scout Shops - sorry Scout Store (why??) - sale and quantities of clothing from these campaigns are for sale at knock down prices. What is going on?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boballan For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (29-01-2018),roger-uk (28-01-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    But i think having assorted branding around the place looks unprofessional. Within our HQ we can control that. Within the district, its a bit harder - but having one group on the new brand, one on a recent brand, and one still using old branding makes it look like we're not all one organisation.
    We are not professional, we are volunteers. Most people think scouts are scouts, they have no idea about baden Powell scouts or whatever. Inventing yet another logo is not going to change this. You cannot change peoples view of us by changing a logo. If anything we should be teaching yp that there are more important things in life than logos and brand images. For brand I think junk food, not a good thing.

Thanks
    One of the delegates at our county conference this weekend has had some involvement in this rebrand, or has at least been party to being shown the proposed new branding.

He claimed that "the swoosh and text are going", "the chosen font is one freely available from Google fonts", "it says all we want it to say" and "when you first see it on it's own, you're not quite sure but when you see it all used together, on materials etc it all comes together and makes sense". So make of that what you will.

He quoted a May 2018 launch before this email was published and has been involved in other Gilwell trials/initiatives in the past so I don't have much reason to doubt him.

The most annoying thing for me is that we have literally just erected a new perfectly on-brand sign, and when I say "literally just" I mean it was being drilled into the wall at the very moment the email landed. It also has some guiding branding on it and, ironically, I did say to my guiding counterpart "you can guarantee as soon as we finalise something they'll update the branding anyway". If only I'd have put a bet on!
    James

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I just roll my eyes and groan with talk of branding, I don't just mean TSA. Remember when Royal mail, one of the best known brands in the world, tried to change its name to consignia? I still don't understand why Norwich union changed its name to aviva. When I was little I went to Scarborough in a viva (a Vauxhall viva). It just suggests to me that TSA are completely out of touch. We are short of facilities and leaders. Never mind, have a new logo. Note the way we've made it small and squashed it in one corner to make room for a corporate sponsor logo. How helpful is that?
    Norwich Union paid an agency 3 million for its rebrand. It was found out later that from the agencies office you could see a shop called Aviva Lingerie, money well spent!