Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Young peoples terrorist incident guidance

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihatecamping View Post
    As Scout leaders, I think there is very little we can teach the Scouts about how to respond to a terror attack; we should teach them to understand the difference between a request and an urgent word of command, then get them behind us or somewhere safe (if we know where that is).
    Yup.

On a standard Thursday night, often I can't get their attention at all. If anything did occur - even if there was advice - I couldn't convey it to them because it would take ages just to get them to look at me and listen.

On more than one occasion, I've had to physically reach out and yank a kid out of the way before harm was done. I suspect, if a situation was to develop, many of them wouldn't know until it was right on top of them, and even then, they'd just freeze. When they get into their wee clique - they don't pay any attention to anything outwith the clique.

There are others who do, but most of them... Nup... It wouldn't be a good outcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Yup.

On a standard Thursday night, often I can't get their attention at all. If anything did occur - even if there was advice - I couldn't convey it to them because it would take ages just to get them to look at me and listen.

On more than one occasion, I've had to physically reach out and yank a kid out of the way before harm was done. I suspect, if a situation was to develop, many of them wouldn't know until it was right on top of them, and even then, they'd just freeze. When they get into their wee clique - they don't pay any attention to anything outwith the clique.

There are others who do, but most of them... Nup... It wouldn't be a good outcome.
    There is a general lack of awareness of surroundings. This is nothing new. Some people are aware of what is going on around them others are not. I'd say most are not aware of what is going on around them. I am not quite sure if that is becaue they are genuinely gormless, or if they are over familiar with their surroundings, or theysimply trust others to keep them safe ( I don't think it is the latter).
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I don't think this is just about terrorist attacks - motorway pile ups, crowd crushes, big fires, civil unrest, etc. With age you gain a sense of realising that something is going wrong, like driving down a motorway in the dark and seeing there is something strange about the pattern of tail and break lights ahead. Scouts could be involved in, or first on the scene of, all sorts of incidents where their outcome could be a lot better with a bit of training.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    There is a general lack of awareness of surroundings. This is nothing new. Some people are aware of what is going on around them others are not. I'd say most are not aware of what is going on around them. I am not quite sure if that is becaue they are genuinely gormless, or if they are over familiar with their surroundings, or theysimply trust others to keep them safe ( I don't think it is the latter).
    Its not just a lack of awareness of surroundings, looking at it from the other side - what I've noticed is, the Scouts we have just now, pay a lot more attention to what each other is doing as opposed to things going on outside of their immediate peer group.

And I suppose, to make a direct comparison - what did kids that age look at before they had a smartphone? Most of my Scouts don't have them, but those who do, would sit for the entire meeting nose down in them, and others will go over and do the same.

While I'm not entirely convinced that it is the case, but are kids less aware these days than their predecessors? I've mentioned this before, we gave our Scouts a map of the village with the street names blanked out, I'd say fully half of them couldn't fill in any of the street names.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    While I'm not entirely convinced that it is the case, but are kids less aware these days than their predecessors? I've mentioned this before, we gave our Scouts a map of the village with the street names blanked out, I'd say fully half of them couldn't fill in any of the street names.
    My dad gave up being a scout leader probably 20 years ago...there were kids that when asked local knowledge for some badge or other just knew nothing, could they describe their way home? Nope. So it's nothing new, whether it's more prevalent...?

When I were a lad, prior to the M25, we used to have to drive to the suburbs of London, Rickmansworth, from Surrey, to see rellies. When I started driving, 5-6 years after they built the M25, I drove there once, and came off at one junction previous to the one I should have, they lived at most 1/2 a mile from the next junction, I drove for a bit, then started recognising bits, and drove straight to their house. I guess I used to look out the window as a kid.

As a flip side, a couple of years back I'm driving a minibus through Cobham when I see a 20ft flash of flame come out of a pub chimney. Stopped the 'bus, called 999....name of the pub? Nope, couldn't see it. Name of the road I was on? Nope, didn't know it. Luckily, loads of other people were calling it in too. Useless!
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    As a flip side, a couple of years back I'm driving a minibus through Cobham when I see a 20ft flash of flame come out of a pub chimney. Stopped the 'bus, called 999....name of the pub? Nope, couldn't see it. Name of the road I was on? Nope, didn't know it. Luckily, loads of other people were calling it in too. Useless!
    I must admit, if you asked me directions in Edinburgh, I'd struggle to know street names - but I know my way around. You might get a lot of landmarks... I suppose its different in a distinct village (that also hasn't really grown...) By osmosis, you just absorb information. Not sure that's happening as much these days - and I suspect its because, kids don't play outside as much as they used to.

That's not all kids - a lot still do, but the trend has been away from it. More young folk stay in - or are ferried from one activity to another without seeing much in between - these days.

I've also noticed, that kids tend to be a lot more timid. I think my current older Explorers were the first of that batch to come through. That sort of coincided with changes at the local primary school... Although I think there was broader change happening too.

I suppose its that old chestnut - do you wrap your kids up as much as you can and run the risk of them not being able to cope when they do have to venture out? Or do you shove them out the door and let them learn by experience and mistake?

Thanks
    In terms of large crowds... I remember seeing a documentary quite a few years ago now that showed that large crowds behave, in terms of how they move, in a way that obeys many of the laws of fluid dynamics. There was an u settling moment where they showed the concourse of the old Wembley stadium at half time during the cup final as shown by cc tv. They highlighted the various flows and counter flows and then showed what happened to a liquid pumped into a similar shaped container. The similarities were incredible.

The point being that no matter how much you educate people they may not be as in control of their own actions as they think they are

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (15-02-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234