Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Well, time to face the photo permission issue..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,096 Posts
    I can't do names either...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post

Very few cases require absolute secrecy and tight controls on care because of real dangers to a child. These will be decided by a court and will be managed by a child protection officer.
    I think this is the big takeaway for me here. While you may get the odd parent or two that are twitchy about photos of their kids being taken/published the fact remains that the number where it is a full on legal issue are vanishingly rare. I've not had a single one in my 20 years as a leader, I expect that if I ever do it will be a simple one off child that can be easily dealt with in terms of editing anything that goes on line.

Photography is one of those things that is so very easy to complicate. Instead keep it simple. Tell parents you will take and publish photos.

If any parent has an issue with that they can come and discuss it with you and when they do don't promise what you can't guarantee. The ball is then in their court.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

roger-uk (02-02-2018),shiftypete (01-02-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    I think this is the big takeaway for me here. While you may get the odd parent or two that are twitchy about photos of their kids being taken/published the fact remains that the number where it is a full on legal issue are vanishingly rare. I've not had a single one in my 20 years as a leader, I expect that if I ever do it will be a simple one off child that can be easily dealt with in terms of editing anything that goes on line.
    We've had two families, one of whom is now allowed to be published in photos because they have now met their birth parents.

I've only ever known of one case (not in my Group) that could be regarded as frivolous.

Photography is one of those things that is so very easy to complicate. Instead keep it simple. Tell parents you will take and publish photos.

If any parent has an issue with that they can come and discuss it with you and when they do don't promise what you can't guarantee. The ball is then in their court.
    Indeed. I use this statement:

Please note that photographs/videos may be taken during the course of Scouting activities and displayed on the
    notice board, website etc (you can find our website at www.thesaints.org.uk). If you need more information or
    have any concern about this please speak in confidence to a Leader.

Thanks
    Please note that photographs/videos may be taken during the course of Scouting activities and displayed on the
    notice board, website etc (you can find our website at www.thesaints.org.uk). If you need more information or
    have any concern about this please speak in confidence to a Leader.
    Use the same thing, almost word for word, stuck on the end of everything from camp/event forms/letters to term information letters .
    We did use the term Photos/video Will be taken, and could be used for publicity etc etc, but that generated a complaint as we were told after the not enough photos were taken of a certain individual, and they couldnt show the grandparents/relatives what little johnny had been doing

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard T For This Useful Post:

itchen (02-02-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Use the same thing, almost word for word, stuck on the end of everything from camp/event forms/letters to term information letters .
    We did use the term Photos/video Will be taken, and could be used for publicity etc etc, but that generated a complaint as we were told after the not enough photos were taken of a certain individual, and they couldnt show the grandparents/relatives what little johnny had been doing
    That sounds like an invitation to come along should be proffered...
    Chris Hawes, CSL (Akela) and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group (on sabbatical); District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Thanks
    I see the photo issue is rearing its head on1st FB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big George View Post
    I see the photo issue is rearing its head on1st FB
    It does periodically...

Thanks
    Some of it can be helped if you are open with what you do, so if you make it clear that photos/video may be taken and may end up in the media ( form the local paper to facebook/twitter etc) if there are any issues then please askthen your not setting yourself up for a fall, as you could with a yes/no asking for consent.
    I know of at least one case where as yes/no option was given, the parent said no, but the YP in question managed to end up on the event website, on Youtube, twitter and so on. none of the pictures/video taken by the leaders associated with that YP, but by other people at the event and the event/camp media team, again probably down to the group issuing a yes/no permission form, and the event having a photos/video may be taken and by being on site you consent to this

Thanks
    Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Our issue resolved. Just to keep you posted.

Mum not over the moon, but understands our position.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (04-02-2018)

Thanks
    We also have had looked-after children through our group. There has never been a restriction on photography or any other sort of public exposure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boballan View Post
    We also have had looked-after children through our group. There has never been a restriction on photography or any other sort of public exposure.
    It only applies to those whose parents need to be prevented from finding them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    which should then have a Court Order in place and we should be shown that. There is way too much assumption that only one parent has custody
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-uk View Post
    which should then have a Court Order in place and we should be shown that. There is way too much assumption that only one parent has custody
    Do you also ask for the diagnosis in writing from the doctor for any reported medical issue? Crikey.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-uk View Post
    There will not always be a court order. When we adopted our younger son we were aware that his mother lived in the same city and did not want her to know where he now lived.

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    in general it is very unlikely that there will be a specific restriction on photography. the family courts understand how difficult it is to enforce such a restriction. please do remember that even in the most heinous crime cases involving children, such as the bulger case, there is no such specific restriction on photographing the offenders. you will not be prosecuted if, taking a picture of your beavers in the park, venables or thompson walked past and was clearly captured in the background.

as roger correctly suggests, it's very strange that in many of these reported cases there is little of no mention of advice or directions given by child protection officers. these officers are not stupid! if there really is a threat to the welfare of the child from being identified then officers will not let the guardians take any risk. i hardly think there is anyone in the country who believes that scouting or guiding isn't very public.

furthermore, i think it's highly unlikely that you as a leader would be arrested for breaching access arrangements in such cases if you were not informed of them by an officer or official notice.

let's remember that the vast majority of these 'no photos' incidents are due to personal preferences of parents/guardians or kids and not because of some official preventative measures. these preferences include so called camera-shyness; some notion of 'image rights' and the notion that any poxy scout photo will ruin their little kid's attempt at starring in the next star wars film; their fear that you are some closet paedophile and have 21,372 sick photos on your home PC; or, their fear that any picture you take will be on t'internet in 5 secs and in response a lot of blokes in dodgy raincoats on the next street corner have just turned up.

i have had only 1 incident in my time in scouting where a foster-carer and a protection officer advised me on access arrangements for one member of my cub pack. there was no ban on identity and no restrictions on photography. there was a potential threat to the young person, likely remote, but which required all those who had a duty of care for the young person needed to understand.

TM
    going...going...still here...just

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast