Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beavers & Group Camp

Thanks
    Well, it turns out that this is a bit of a moot point now. It turns out that our CSL (the principal organiser l) is being assessed for an indoor permit. So we are all in a bunkhouse this time.

Not a problem though, I will try to get them in tents for a night later in the summer. I want to be assessed for a campsite permit as part of Damboree. Plus our BSL will be taking some of them to the District camp in September. We might fit a hall sleepover in before Christmas, so that's a potential 6 nights away they will be offered this year - and a variety of nights/tents/indoor/large scale/small scale/local/remote too (phew). Doesn't seem bad at all.
    Last edited by lakes_stu; 06-02-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

BenOfThe12th (07-02-2018),richardnhunt (18-03-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenOfThe12th View Post
    I disagree Chris, a Group camp should be the perfect place to demonstrate just how great Beavers are..
    The theory being you have all the experienced support you could possibly need..
    No. It's got NOTHING to do with how great Beavers are, but the simple camp logistics and organisation. A big Group Camp is hard enough to run when you haven't done one before without adding the complications of Beavers staying for two nights, especially when they haven't before.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Secretary and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @wnscouts

Thanks
    With regard to the number of nights that our Beavers will be staying, the organisers are keen for us to be there both nights. Our BSL (who cant make this one) is also keen.

Personally, Im happy to go with whatever the Beavers are happiest with. I suspect we will find it hard to get many signed up for 2 nights, although we will try our best. If it comes to it, we may fall back to a single night (arrive early Saturday and leave with everyone else on Sunday) if that is the case.
    Last edited by lakes_stu; 07-02-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    No. It's got NOTHING to do with how great Beavers are, but the simple camp logistics and organisation. A big Group Camp is hard enough to run when you haven't done one before without adding the complications of Beavers staying for two nights, especially when they haven't before.
    Oh Really,
    I'm not going to argue with you Chris as I have far better things to do..

** Warning ** I like my humour Very DRY, same as my Martinis, so don't take anything personally..

Thanks
    So, the way this is going to go off is as follows. Everybody will be sleeping in the bunkhouse, and everybody will be staying 2 nights (we hope!) Parents to drop off on Friday evening and collect early Sunday afternoon.

We currently have 10 of our 19 Beavers signed up, which seems pretty good to me (there will be more opportunities for nights away for them all this year). Most of our Cubs and about half of our Scouts are going too (the rest of the Scouts are backpacking in the Dales that weekend).

Cubs and Scouts will be kayaking, canoeing and raft building. Beavers will be taking a river cruise instead of rafting and kayaking, but will be getting the chance to try open canoeing 1:1 with instructors (plus leader supervision of course) I think. I will try to run some mini rafting too if possible, with a race to get our mascots from one place to another. I hear other activities will also be available.

So, there should be chance to get 2 time on the water and paddle sports stage 1, as well as teamwork, adventurous and skills activities.

Campfire and Scouts Own (that will be accessible to all) planned too.

Really looking forward to it, although I am a bit nervous about how best to deal with homesickness (I have only done 1 night sleepovers in our hall thus far), so any tips most welcome. Ill let you know how it goes
    Last edited by lakes_stu; 12-03-2018 at 10:31 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

ASLChris (12-03-2018),ianw (12-03-2018),roger-uk (13-03-2018)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    Really looking forward to it, although I am a bit nervous about how best to deal with homesickness (I have only done 1 night sleepovers in our hall thus far), so any tips most welcome. Ill let you know how it goes
    In my experience, if it happens, it happens on the first night. The second night they are too tired to worry about anything and just go to sleep!

Thanks
    take some mint Imperial as "homesickness" tablets
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to roger-uk For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (14-03-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12