Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: What is a Group Scouter?

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 608 Times in 357 Posts
    TSA "must" know how many groups don't have GSL's because this year's census request was sent to GSL's except where a group doesn't have one. So that information clearly exists. The bigger question is whether anyone actually chooses to read it and act on it. Having said that even if they do, it probably goes something along the lines of CC's being told to chase up their DC's who have a number of groups without GSL's or other missing District roles, at which point DC's will no doubt (and not unreasonably) reply that they are working on it but don't have a magic volunteer tree, and so it all goes to sleep again.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    292
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 208 Times in 99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    TSA "must" know how many groups don't have GSL's because this year's census request was sent to GSL's except where a group doesn't have one. So that information clearly exists. The bigger question is whether anyone actually chooses to read it and act on it. Having said that even if they do, it probably goes something along the lines of CC's being told to chase up their DC's who have a number of groups without GSL's or other missing District roles, at which point DC's will no doubt (and not unreasonably) reply that they are working on it but don't have a magic volunteer tree, and so it all goes to sleep again.
    TSA can tell which groups have GSLs from the data on Compass (at least they can see which "groups that keep Compass up-to-date" don't have GSLs).

    I wonder what you think the alternative actions are that they could take?

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    313
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    TSA "must" know how many groups don't have GSL's because this year's census request was sent to GSL's except where a group doesn't have one. So that information clearly exists. The bigger question is whether anyone actually chooses to read it and act on it. Having said that even if they do, it probably goes something along the lines of CC's being told to chase up their DC's who have a number of groups without GSL's or other missing District roles, at which point DC's will no doubt (and not unreasonably) reply that they are working on it but don't have a magic volunteer tree, and so it all goes to sleep again.
    For several years I had someone from Gillwell "chasing up" the accounts of the Group where I used to be GSL. had to keep pointing out that I was no longer the GSL so i am not too convinced that they actually look at the correct information.

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 608 Times in 357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hippysurfer View Post
    TSA can tell which groups have GSLs from the data on Compass (at least they can see which "groups that keep Compass up-to-date" don't have GSLs).

    I wonder what you think the alternative actions are that they could take?
    Ultimately start closing groups, and districts for that matter down, where the gaps in management structure mean that the three prongs of our safety system (vetting, training and management) are sufficiently weakened as to pose risks to young people. Obviously a temporary gap between appointments in one group is coverable by the DC etc. If you've got a DC trying to cover ten groups in a district for a prolonged period, then the chances of rogue practices setting in becomes that much higher. No-one wants to see that sort of withdrawal of provision but on the other hand you can't long term have a safety system which isn't actually enforced - same really applies to training.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

    scoutgamer (18-02-2018)

  6. #20
    Very Old Member BigBadBaloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bracknell, Berkshire
    Posts
    4,430
    Thanks
    1,418
    Thanked 860 Times in 544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    Ultimately start closing groups, and districts for that matter down, where the gaps in management structure mean that the three prongs of our safety system (vetting, training and management) are sufficiently weakened as to pose risks to young people. Obviously a temporary gap between appointments in one group is coverable by the DC etc. If you've got a DC trying to cover ten groups in a district for a prolonged period, then the chances of rogue practices setting in becomes that much higher. No-one wants to see that sort of withdrawal of provision but on the other hand you can't long term have a safety system which isn't actually enforced - same really applies to training.
    TSA can't do that!! _ Think what it would do to the membership numbers!
    Peter

    Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell


    A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBadBaloo For This Useful Post:

    mang21 (12-02-2018)

  8. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks
    1,247
    Thanked 949 Times in 690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    TSA can't do that!! _ Think what it would do to the membership numbers!
    They wouldn't need to. They'd just put in place an enormous parent rota.


  9. #22
    ASL Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hwicce
    Posts
    3,644
    Thanks
    353
    Thanked 714 Times in 522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    They wouldn't need to. They'd just put in place an enormous parent rota.

    Perhaps they could pay more people to work at a local level rather than sitting in London messing with badge requirements and inventing branding that we don't need.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

    PaulArthurs (16-02-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Help finding Scouter Laurie
    By Mang in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-11-2015, 08:56 PM
  2. A sad day on scouter.com
    By CambridgeSkip in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2015, 03:42 PM
  3. Scouter Names
    By flowerscouter in forum Scouts
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 22-01-2013, 12:40 PM
  4. Scouter on 'Cloud 9'.......
    By Dramatist in forum Scouts
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 03:38 PM
  5. Question - if you weren't a Scouter
    By Gadgette in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 27-11-2008, 10:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •