Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Group Scouter?

Thanks

What is a Group Scouter?

Hi

I have a leader who until recently was the SL for one of out troops. He has moved house and is no longer close enough for a weekly role. However, he wants to remain part of the group and to remain a uniformed etc. I am looking to see what Compass role we can give him. One option is to make him ASL in one of our troops - which would work but is not quite right as he will be working with all three troops. We could make him an SAS Member - but also does not feel quite right. What I want is a role that reflects that he is an Assistant Scout Leader in the group but not assigned to a particular troop.

Compass gives me the option of a 'Group Scouter'. This sounds just right - but there is no mention of any such role in POR, so I can not work out what the training requirements would be etc.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hippysurfer View Post
    One option is to make him ASL in one of our troops - which would work but is not quite right as he will be working with all three troops. We could make him an SAS Member - but also does not feel quite right. What I want is a role that reflects that he is an Assistant Scout Leader in the group but not assigned to a particular troop.
    Although he's working with different troops, he's still working within one section - ie. Scouts. I'd have thought ASL would be the best fit for his role, since he's really doing a section level job rather than a group level job.

Thanks
    Surely he is an ASL?

I am well out of touch with Compass - does it make you assign roles by unit rather than section? Seems a nonsense if it does. I would say that he isn't a Group Scouter as he will not be working with the other sections.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    I thought 'Group Scouter' was a generic term meaning any of the leaders (or assistant leaders) in a group, as in Group Scouters' Meeting. I would guess that it is an error if it appears on Compass as a role. I can't see that it matters which troop he is associated with, I'd go for ASL in the troop he is most likely to help with (or the biggest troop). Have you thought of Assistant GSL? But then again, that probably comes with a training requirement.
    Last edited by Kev; 07-02-2018 at 03:27 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kev For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (07-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks, I thought probably ASL too - but I was just curious about the Group Scouter role.

Can't make him AGSL, I have three of those already!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Have you thought of Assistant GSL? But then again, that probably comes with a training requirement.
    It does indeed, AGSLs have to do the managers and supporters training

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Can't make him AGSL, I have three of those already!
    Three AGSLs? Wow! We have several Groups in the District struggling to find a GSL...

EDIT: I've just checked, and half of our ten Groups have no GSL.
    Last edited by oneiros; 07-02-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    I think that having three AGSLs is one of the reasons that we have a GSL.

We have 9 sections with 50+ adults. I simply could not cover the GSL role without the assistants supporting me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,854 Times in 1,172 Posts
    I think that having three AGSLs is one of the reasons that we have a GSL.

We have 9 sections with 50+ adults. I simply could not cover the GSL role without the assistants supporting me.
    That has you well on the way to being DC of a small District.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    "Group Scouter" is a phrase that goes back to the days of blue warrant cards.
    If I recall correctly, at that stage HQ nationally recorded an appointed as Group Scouter within a Group. It was then the District that recorded locally (including on the Warrant Card) the actual role and Group that the person was working in, and also recorded on the card the Appointment Review dates.
    So far as I am aware, the only reference in POR now to Group Scouters is the title Group Scouters Meeting.

Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulArthurs For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (09-02-2018)

Thanks
    I am a Group Scouter which is a role on Compass.

I was SL and Acting GSL until a new job meant I was away from home effectively 4 days a week and could no longer continue in those roles. I have taken a back seat and as a GS muck in where I can in all 3 sections i.e across the Group so seems an ideal role. I've helped on Beaver sleepovers, days out, Scout canoe camp, Xmas post etc
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oneiros View Post
    I've just checked, and half of our ten Groups have no GSL.
    Excuse the indulgence of quoting oneself, but presumably TSA knows this, right? Last year's Annual Report suggested (rather cheekily, given the change in capitation) that there'd been a 33% rise in adult volunteers - and yet all I see is Groups that are struggling and Districts with important posts lying vacant, sometimes, for years.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to oneiros For This Useful Post:

PaulArthurs (09-02-2018)

Thanks
    Hi

I have a leader who until recently was the SL for one of out troops. He has moved house and is no longer close enough for a weekly role. However, he wants to remain part of the group and to remain a uniformed etc. I am looking to see what Compass role we can give him. One option is to make him ASL in one of our troops - which would work but is not quite right as he will be working with all three troops. We could make him an SAS Member - but also does not feel quite right. What I want is a role that reflects that he is an Assistant Scout Leader in the group but not assigned to a particular troop.

Compass gives me the option of a 'Group Scouter'. This sounds just right - but there is no mention of any such role in POR, so I can not work out what the training requirements would be etc.

Any suggestions?

Thx
    We have a couple of Group Skills Instructors, they are people who can't be around on a regular basis but are still part of the group and help out if and when they can. Their roles are registered on Compass and the training requirements are the core child protection and safe guarding type plus first aid if needed. It works well for the individuals and for the group.

HTH
    Mark
    Mark
    You can contact Mark via www.4theastcotescouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oneiros View Post
    Excuse the indulgence of quoting oneself, but presumably TSA knows this, right? Last year's Annual Report suggested (rather cheekily, given the change in capitation) that there'd been a 33% rise in adult volunteers - and yet all I see is Groups that are struggling and Districts with important posts lying vacant, sometimes, for years.
    I did an analysis of some local census data recently and the increase appeared to be entirely down to existing volunteers who were exec members or other supporters being registered as individual members due to the change in AMS charging. There is underlying real growth but not the level of new volunteers census might first suggest.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Campsite Service Team
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Donnelly For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (10-02-2018)

Thanks
    Not wanting to derail the thread too much but, as above, how much visibility does HQ have of District-level issues? What is the mechanism (if any) by which these things would be reported up-stream?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast