Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dehydrated water

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I think in the small glasses (not the first one) there are glass cylinders, which are disguised by the pattern on the glass. I don't know how he ends up with enough milk in the jug to fill all of them though. I would guess the large glass was swapped while the camera is off him.
    Spoiler Alert:

The glasses have a clear cylinder in the centre that is shorter than the height of the glass. The cylinder is full of water (not milk) so it's invisible behind the pattern.

When pouring a small glass into a larger glass, he always pours the milk into the edge of the larger glass at first, so it fills around the tube.

When tipping the glass into the next larger glass, the water pours out of the central tube and mixes unnoticeably with the milk, increasing the volume. The milk gets watered down at each stage - look closely at the colour as the trick progresses.

If you watch the largest jug closely near the end you can just see the cylinder.

You can do a similar thing backwards to make it look like the milk is getting smaller in volume - dehydrated milk maybe?

Search the web for 'Diminishing Milk trick' to buy the equipment.
    Last edited by pstretch; 07-03-2018 at 03:48 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pstretch For This Useful Post:

eskibrew (07-03-2018),johnmcmahon (07-03-2018),Kev (07-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,185 Times in 786 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    BANG ON! Now; how do I do it?
    I think that is a simple trick, each of the glasses already has some water in it and the milk just gets diluted as it is poured into each one. That is why frosted glasses were used.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Simon.md View Post
    Or take dehydrated food and camp near water...

I've not wild camped with scouts but have always carried water for drinking during the day and found somewhere to refil of an evening for cooking / washing /drinking the next day. Did a week long trek with a couple of friends two years ago, the thought of carrying enough water for three people for a week makes your peppermint cooling spray look like less if an issue

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    That is how we used to do it when I used to do Expos with Ventures/My Ex-Venture friends. So the water used to re-hydrate the dehydrated food was boiled and we used to use water purification tablets overnight for our drinking water the next day.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 07-03-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post

Anyway, I sense we're a fair distance from re-hydrated water now.
    Well then, let's talk about bacon stretchers, sky hooks, and smoke shifters. Every patrol should have a compliment of those.

We'll hike about 200 yards and then some scout is just dying under the weight. We open up his pack and start pulling out packages of peaches in syrup, a 3 month supply of tooth paste, .... They do learn, just like we did.

Out of interest how long for?
    We go for 4 or 5 days at a time. There are some really good and light weight methods for filtering water. Finding water is not our problem. Finding storage to keep the bears away is something else.

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattR View Post
    We go for 4 or 5 days at a time. There are some really good and light weight methods for filtering water. Finding water is not our problem. Finding storage to keep the bears away is something else.
    I would assume that you have a bigger problem with things likes cryptosporidium and giardia than we have in the UK. I've never filtered water when wild camping in the UK - just taken sensible precautions around where and how I draw water from streams.

I always carry a packet of bear powder with me when wild camping in the UK. It works brilliantly. I've never seen a bear once. I'll get my coat...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pstretch For This Useful Post:

garethhowell (08-03-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    I always carry a packet of bear powder with me when wild camping in the UK. It works brilliantly. I've never seen a bear once. I'll get my coat...
    Brilliant! where can I get some of that?

The biggest problem around here is the elephants in the cherry trees. You can't see them if they wear red nail varnish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to johnmcmahon For This Useful Post:

ianw (08-03-2018)

Thanks
    Are you sure he didn't mean BEER powder?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pstretch View Post
    I would assume that you have a bigger problem with things likes cryptosporidium and giardia than we have in the UK. I've never filtered water when wild camping in the UK - just taken sensible precautions around where and how I draw water from streams.

I'm not sure how giardia showed up. We never used to have an issue with it. Just insert face in stream and drink. Somehow it got into the water system and it's not leaving. It's even in the snow in places.

You don't need to get your coat. Every place has its dangerous wildlife. According to countryliving.co.uk, stampeding cows are, apparently an issue? And rutting deer can attack, although nobody has ever seen this.

Okay, it's getting late. Time for bed.

I hope you all enjoyed the snow.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,572 Posts
    There are many dehydrated meals available that are easy to pack and lightweight ( Pot noodles excluded). In the UK water is not too difficult to come by on site, and in the "wild" can be purified and boiled.

However. Most families appear not to buy these meals at all. I don't know who buys them but I have never had a young person who was familiar with dried pasta and sauce. When I suggested this was what they bought to avoid carrying the weight, they arrived with a bag of pasta and a jar of sauce - when asked - Mum says these dried meals are rubbish.

I try to explain that they provide energy, are lightweight and easy to carry and dispose of the packaging. For one or two meals it is not an issue that they are "rubbish".

I also keep promoting dried polish sausage which was designed to last for a few days outside refrigeration - but no takers.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (08-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I also keep promoting dried polish sausage which was designed to last for a few days outside refrigeration
    #metoo. Chopped and mixed with a fancy couscous packet and there's a big snack, or a small meal. Chorizo could be a gateway preserved meat, if bought as a whole dong rather than as slices in a packet from the fridge.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    #metoo. Chopped and mixed with a fancy couscous packet and there's a big snack, or a small meal. Chorizo could be a gateway preserved meat, if bought as a whole dong rather than as slices in a packet from the fridge.
    Did you just use #meetoo in a thread about food?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki01 View Post
    Did you just use #meetoo in a thread about food?
    In recognition of untouched sausage.
    No wait, that came out wrong...
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

Rikki01 (08-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 832 Posts
    Out of interest how long for?

Never for more than one night in one place. For example, on the West Highland Way, past Drymen, the logical place to stop (for us, with our group) was just past there - and it (was) all forestry.

And again on the Great Glen Way... Although, the distances involved between good water supplies is negligible. I can highly recommend the Great Glen Way for a starter expedition. Its an easy walk (the canal sections do wear thin after a while...) But the amenities are good and if you have keys to the British Waterway toilet blocks at the locks - all I'll say is 'heated floors'.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    Never for more than one night in one place. For example, on the West Highland Way, past Drymen, the logical place to stop (for us, with our group) was just past there - and it (was) all forestry.

And again on the Great Glen Way... Although, the distances involved between good water supplies is negligible. I can highly recommend the Great Glen Way for a starter expedition. Its an easy walk (the canal sections do wear thin after a while...) But the amenities are good and if you have keys to the British Waterway toilet blocks at the locks - all I'll say is 'heated floors'.

Actually I knew that now you mention it having read something very similar in Around Scotland....