Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehydrated water

Thanks

Dehydrated water

OK, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one.

Scout were tasked with coming up with a kit list for a weekend hike. LOADS on tinned goods appeared on it. I pointed out that they are basically carrying sheet metal and a tin of water.

Whilst they can reuse the tin (and we will be covering hunter stoves next term) I have committed myself to demonstrating a Bear Grylls type water filter (I'll use food grade Bentonite to produce muddy pond water for filtering so low risk) and a demonstration of light weight "dehydrated water".

I've no idea how to safely spoof the latter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    and a demonstration of light weight "dehydrated water".

I've no idea how to safely spoof the latter.

Any suggestions?
    Either a Emperors new clothes style empty bottle with the lid on. Or maybe that oral rehydration powder? The you've been puking and, ummm, on the toilet, for 3 days, and now you need to get your salts and that back to normal. I mean, it would make a flavoured drink rather than something that tastes of water, but it'll at least make something drinkable. Or make your own with salt and sugar. The WHO recommended formula is simple:

1/2 teaspoon salt

6 teaspoons sugar (6 teaspoons is 2 tablespoons)

1 quart or liter of clean drinking water

Oh, actually, the internet suggests it's a bit more complicated than that, but that was the old one.

You could always grind down the sugar and salt so it's not so grainy and recognisable.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    You could always grind down the sugar and salt so it's not so grainy and recognisable.

Ian
    or buy icing sugar?

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    More on the lines of "add powder to empty bottle and create liquid" was what I was thinking.

Any magicians out there?

Thanks
    Conjuring trick, this sort of thing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZ4Z9qlb4k

Thanks
    BANG ON! Now; how do I do it?

Thanks
    BANG ON! Now; how do I do it?
    I think in the small glasses (not the first one) there are glass cylinders, which are disguised by the pattern on the glass. I don't know how he ends up with enough milk in the jug to fill all of them though. I would guess the large glass was swapped while the camera is off him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,252 Posts
    OK, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this one.

Scout were tasked with coming up with a kit list for a weekend hike. LOADS on tinned goods appeared on it. I pointed out that they are basically carrying sheet metal and a tin of water.
    The tin is not heavy. It makes no more sense to carry Wayfarer meals or any other non-dehydrated ones than tinned food, and many things in favour of tins - cheaper, for one.

A sausage and beans Wayfarer meal is just a tin of Heinz chucked in a foil pouch and the price multipled by roughly 5.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil Williams For This Useful Post:

big chris (07-03-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    The tin is not heavy. It makes no more sense to carry Wayfarer meals or any other non-dehydrated ones than tinned food, and many things in favour of tins - cheaper, for one.

A sausage and beans Wayfarer meal is just a tin of Heinz chucked in a foil pouch and the price multipled by roughly 5.
    Until you forget the tin opener! Okay, they nearly all have ring pulls on now.

I got some "look what we found" pouch meals a while back, they were not bad at all and only 1.50.
    Last edited by ianw; 07-03-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    The point was to get them to consider what they were carrying. I have had more than one Scout turn up for an expedition with an overloaded Burgen, requiring us to remove 1/2 before they set off.

We'll be looking at packing said Burgen next term as well as the relevant advantages of different stoves.

Reducing weight to the minimum can get a bit silly - I know people who drill holes in the handles of their cutlery and even refuse to carry a tent.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 832 Posts
    Yup.

This was an issue for us too. We did a lot of work around how to pack, but still we had young folk with family sized bottled of shampoo in their rucksacks - cooling peppermint spray for those friction injuries from the straps of your rucksack? In which you carried your peppermint cooling spray?

The food thing has always vexed me. You either have to carry water to cook, or carry the food with the water already in (tinned stuff.) Must admit, I favour tinned stuff too now - there is more breadth of choice and its easier.

The Look What We Found stuff is nice, but the portions are small, you need two each. You can boil them in the bag though and use the water after for other things.

I have no idea how you'd be able to magic water out of nothing though... There were the old tricks about tying a ply bag to a branch, or putting a groundsheet out with gap between it and the ground to catch dew... Those always only seemed to work on the old scout posters though...

Plan ahead, take plastic and aim for a hotel. The kids can camp in the hotel grounds...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post

The food thing has always vexed me. You either have to carry water to cook, or carry the food with the water already in (tinned stuff.)
    Or take dehydrated food and camp near water...

I've not wild camped with scouts but have always carried water for drinking during the day and found somewhere to refil of an evening for cooking / washing /drinking the next day. Did a week long trek with a couple of friends two years ago, the thought of carrying enough water for three people for a week makes your peppermint cooling spray look like less if an issue

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon.md For This Useful Post:

KingstonCubber (07-03-2018),shiftypete (07-03-2018)

Thanks
    The Look What We Found stuff is nice, but the portions are small, you need two each. You can boil them in the bag though and use the water after for other things.
    Really? Admittedly I hadn't been hiking with a pack on, but me and another leader had been shifting stuff all afternoon, so I wasn't exactly loafing about. I just cooked some pasta in the water I was boiling the pouch in. Job done.

Anyway, I sense we're a fair distance from re-hydrated water now.
    Ian Wilkins

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

pa_broon74 (07-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon.md View Post
    Or take dehydrated food and camp near water...

I've not wild camped with scouts but have always carried water for drinking during the day and found somewhere to refil of an evening for cooking / washing /drinking the next day. Did a week long trek with a couple of friends two years ago, the thought of carrying enough water for three people for a week makes your peppermint cooling spray look like less if an issue

We (in the past) were wild camping. Obviously not an issue if you know you're going to have access to decent water. If you're in the middle of a forestry plantation...

Thanks
    We (in the past) were wild camping. Obviously not an issue if you know you're going to have access to decent water. If you're in the middle of a forestry plantation...
    Out of interest how long for?